Rubbing After Spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
charlesandhudson.com
I'm running 285 75/16 on my 99 LC. I had no issues with rubbing until I added 1.25" Bora spacers.

I now notice rubbing on the inner fender/splash guard as the tire moves to full lock. It's particularly bad when the suspension is compressed.

I think I messed up by trimming a bit of it, which now exposed the inside of the fender. Is there any other solution like using self-tapping screws to pin down the fender well liner? Since I trimmed that might be tricky now. Photo is right front wheel well.

Thanks.

IMG_7188.JPG

The common fix for this is to hammer back the pinch weld that's right behind that liner, and then re-shape that liner so it sits further back.

The downside of that approach is that you will likely expose bare steel and initial a rust point. Not a huge deal, but not ideal.

Or.... take off the spacers. ;) Spacers can look nice, but you inevitably increase the arc of that wheel motion as the wheel turns. Therefore, you can't run as large a tire without massaging some steel.

The common fix for this is to hammer back the pinch weld that's right behind that liner, and then re-shape that liner so it sits further back.

The downside of that approach is that you will likely expose bare steel and initial a rust point. Not a huge deal, but not ideal.

Or.... take off the spacers. ;) Spacers can look nice, but you inevitably increase the arc of that wheel motion as the wheel turns. Therefore, you can't run as large a tire without massaging some steel.
Yeah - I'm hoping to avoid that. Thanks.

Yeah - I'm hoping to avoid that. Thanks.

Also is heat used to reshape the liner???

I'm running 285 75/16
Incredibly surprised you’re rubbing with that size. Hundreds of folks here running that size and 1.25” spacers without rubbing or needing to trim anything.

Incredibly surprised you’re rubbing with that size. Hundreds of folks here running that size and 1.25” spacers without rubbing or needing to trim anything.
Might have some odd alignment. I think the wrong caster will help make this happen.

Yeah - I was shocked after doing research on what size tire to move to. My torsion bars are cranked about 4 turns, but I would that would help not hinder.

I just trimmed mine. Also started rubbing after the spacers. Alignment is perfect too.

time to break out the BFH and start trimming.
Are you running stock wheels?

I rubbed on 285/75r16 with 1.75" spacers. I now run 315/75r16 with 1.25" spacers. Hammered the pinch weld, just removed the fender liner completely, and I don't rub at all back there.

Are you running stock wheels?

I rubbed on 285/75r16 with 1.75" spacers. I now run 315/75r16 with 1.25" spacers. Hammered the pinch weld, just removed the fender liner completely, and I don't rub at all back there.

Stock 16s here. After removing the liner are you concerned with water and mud settling behind the rocker panel?

Stock 16s here. After removing the liner are you concerned with water and mud settling behind the rocker panel?
Well the fender isn't open to the rocker, it lets out between the rocker and door. I have not had an issue. Its a pain to clean but I got tired of ripping up fender liners so I just yanked them. I don't think you need to go that far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom