RTH--Transmission Inop in reverse, high RPM in forward gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks.

I have a 97 with 175k on the clock. Pertinent mods include sliders, ARB, Aussie Locker, TJM Heavies, and 285s. It has been wheeled moderately and I towed a 4000 lb trailer about 400 miles last weekend through the Virginia and West Virginia hills. It ran fine through the weekend and fine all week, fine this morning on the way to church but after church it wouldn't back up--level parking lot, just nothing there.

On the way home I noticed that I was running about 800 RPM higher than normal at 68 mph in Overdrive. I suspected that the OD was not working for some reason and shut it off. RPM climbed another 1k so I turned it back on. I also noticed that the engine seemed to operate independently of the tranny--i.e. engine RPM would drop to idle while going 70 mp if there was no throttle applied. The 80 would only accelerate once the RPM came back into the 3500-4k range.

Once home, I checked the fluid level--a bit old looking, but still in decent shape and the correct level. CDL has no effect on symptoms, recent maintenance includes new U-joints and Temp gage mod.

The Tranny seems to shift into the forward gears fine from a stop and when shifting from D to R, there is a quarter second or so that I have a little movement in Reverse. Once that is gone, it functions as it is in Neutral.

I have checked the linkage, verified that it is actually shifting into the displayed gear and tried low range several times with the same result.

Is it time for a new tranny or just a couple new parts?

Thanks!

Dan

Anybody?

my rig has a similar issue, but it wont shift out of 2nd into 3rd either, so for me im almost positive the trans is out. its going to the shop in 30 minutes. ill let you know what the diagnosis for me is if its not replacement of the trans *bites nails*

In my case the trans needs to be replaced. he says just the fact that reverse doesnt want to move and theres a loud clunk between shifting means the torque converter is bad. hopefully in your case its not that bad...just go to a trans shop and have them do a once-over

My 93 has had an issue for years, but it only happens once or twice a year - until recently. I felt the transmission had been neglected, so for recreational maintenance I drained and refilled the transmission. Not a full service, just a top off to introduce fresh additives. Fluid looked fine.

Now, about twice a week, after I back out of my parking place and go into Drive, it feels like it is not really in gear, just enough to get you into a busy intersection. If I pull it into low range it acts like it should, then is good for the rest of the day. Maybe introducing new fluid into it I stirred up something, or trash got into the throttle body, or something like that. I may be rushing the shift too - elderly old lady does not like to pushed around.

I think a proper service is in order at 227,000 miles. I had it done about 150,000 miles last time, so it is probably due.

carefully inspect wire harness from top of firewall down along top of tranny. I had wonky trans. issues and found frayed wires. I fixed the wires and trans. went back to perfect.

carefully inspect wire harness from top of firewall down along top of tranny. I had wonky trans. issues and found frayed wires. I fixed the wires and trans. went back to perfect.

Will do.

I remember that thread. I will look anyway, but I unplugged the harness at the tranny to do the manual shift test and there was no change.....

So,

Have I stumped the group?

FSM says that this could be 4 things--all of which require a tear down......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom