80 series stalling in reverse? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Morning,

I hope someone can assist. I have recently been having an issue with my cruiser. When putting the car into reverse - the engine revs drop and the car stalls. It seems to be made worse if the steering is fully locked. Normal driving is fine with no problems with dropping revs when idling.
Any ideas from the experts out there?

1996 4200 VX

Edit: I was responding seriously, but I realized this is a word-for-word copy paste from another forum in 2017? The number 1 result on google for "1996 4200 VX"?

Edit: I was responding seriously, but I realized this is a word-for-word copy paste from another forum in 2017? The number 1 result on google for "1996 4200 VX"?
Ummmm, no.

The date on THAT forum is 2023.11.17 which is November 17, 2023. Four days ago.

Damn, dude.

Morning,

I hope someone can assist. I have recently been having an issue with my cruiser. When putting the car into reverse - the engine revs drop and the car stalls. It seems to be made worse if the steering is fully locked. Normal driving is fine with no problems with dropping revs when idling.

1996 4200 VX
What engine is in this truck please?

It could be the air intake tube is torn, causing the engine to move and the tube to open and allow in free air that the system is not monitoring, but it makes a difference which engine and what system is operating.

It could be the air intake tube is torn, causing the engine to move and the tube to open and allow in free air that the system is not monitoring, but it makes a difference which engine and what system is operating.

This!

Exactly the same thing that happened on my 1994. I replaced the air intake tube and all was fixed. The air intake is likely torn in the corrugated section.

Ummmm, no.

The date on THAT forum is 2023.11.17 which is November 17, 2023. Four days ago.

Damn, dude.
Damn, I'll have to blame that on the little phone screen lol. It's obvious looking at the desktop.

I doubt the diesel would be sensitive to a torn intake tube, I think the 4.2 is mechanically injected?

Maybe somehow power is getting to the torque converter lockup solenoid when shifted into reverse? If you can find what pin it is on the TCM, that should be easy to look for with a back-pin probe and a multimeter.

Edit: or when the engine tilts the other way it is somehow pulling on a cable, such as an engine shutdown cable? Normally that should just pull on the cable sheath, unless that broke somewhere between the engine and actuator, if it's not mounted directly to the engine. I have no idea how the injection pump on the 4.2 is controlled or what linkages go to it.

Last edited:
What engine is in this truck please?

i have the 4200 turbo diesel

Not sure where you got that date from but the original post was this month - posted on my local forum to see if there was any advise.

Morning,

1996 4200 VX
Since no one else has replied, repost this in the Diesel section and you may get more traction.

Make sure to include the truck details with engine, year and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom