RTH: Terrible brake noises when driving [SOLVED] (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! First time posting here, hoping I can get some help.

My front right brake has been making some awful noises while driving, and breaking for that matter, after a fellow landcruiser-enthusiast friend and I replaced both front rotors, brakes, and wheel bearings. He’s replaced his 80s front axel, brakes, rotors, etc several times so this wasn’t flailing around in the dark.

At first there was no issue, but after driving around 2800 miles, lots of it highway, I’m now experiencing this terrible noise, like metallic grinding, while driving and then a grinding noise when breaking (which I assume is normal).

I’ve done my research and decided to take the wheel and calipers off, clean the rotors, sand the brake pads a little, and even sprayed brake quiet on the rear of the pads. I then got it all back together and manually rotated the wheel and didn’t hear any noises. I also checked the dust guard and couldn’t see any obvious areas where it contacted the rotor.

Upon just driving the vehicle, the noise is back and doesn’t seem any better, if not more intense.

I posted a link via google photos to the video and the noise when driving

Let me know what you think! I’m hoping to be back on the road in the next week or so and would love to not turn heads...

Let me know if you can not access the link, I will try some other way, or if anyone has a better way.

Google Video Link

Thanks!

Gallo

Wheel bearings. They should be torqued to 25-35 LB-FT for the inner nut and 45 LB-FT for the outer nut.
Don't worry about the fish scale or follow the incorrect setting in the FSM.

If the races are not properly seated fully could put the alignment off, had this issue with rear caliper and rotor once. Reseated the inner race and noise went away. Or like said above wheel bearing could be loose.

If the races are not properly seated fully could put the alignment off, had this issue with rear caliper and rotor once. Reseated the inner race and noise went away. Or like said above wheel bearing could be loose.
I’ll give this a shot too. Might as well try seating them better while I’ve got it disassembled again.

I totally agree with @ppc. I missed the fact there was a video link in the first post.

That's metal on metal on a rear disc. Check the pads and rotor.

Also check the parking brake to see if it's the inner shoes dragging.

Still worth jacking up the front and doing the 12/6 - 3/9 check for wheel bearing looseness.

Just jacked up the rear axel and on rotating the back rear tire, it sounds like hell. I’ll check out the brake and rotors back there. I can’t believe I missed that- I think I was in my head about it being the front that I didn’t consider the rear. Thanks for the help- I’ll post back if it’s not that.

Well, I learned what completely worn out brake pads sound like now.

Thanks again for the help!

LVKmDLvyQfy+sXB5dEUsvg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom