RTH needed ASAP: AHC woes, LC at dealership now (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.joyofthedrive.com
Hey all,

My parents' '06 w/ 135k miles is at the dealership for a AHC leak (reservoir was found empty 2 days ago). They are saying there's a leaky outlet line at the accumulator and that because of rust, they are very confident that the accumulator will need replacing as well as the inlet line, again, because of rusty fitting.

Bottom line, $2800 for accumulator, outlet and inlet lines out the door. Other lines look good but didn't get neutral pressures or gradations for a better picture on overall health. This is a CT vehicle so it does see salt/winter and the underside shows it (not terrible but not great)

Time to switch to conventional or suck it up and pay? Money isn't a huge concern but they don't like to throw it at problems and hope it fixes it. AHC is liked by my parents because they are getting old and it's useful to help load, get in/out etc.

Tagging @PADDO because they want a decision quickly.

Not sure what accumulator they want to replace.

The ones on each corner are only around $290 each (+S&H):

The larger accumulator (nomenclature?) is more expensive and around $340:

If a line is leaking and is salvageable, maybe it can be spliced. The cost would be magnitudes lower and they would not need to replace the accumulator. But a dealer will not do that.

I also find it strange that they don't want to attempt to just try to replace the line and see if it comes out. Seems like your parents are on the hook for them not taking the time and/or having the skills to attempt that.

seems about right for the dealership. install plus full price for parts. and AHC fluid is expensive as well, no?

see if you can supply your own OEM parts OR show them what you can pay at BOCH toyota which is the cheapest oem parts in the country, yes even cheaper than camelback and it is right in your backyard on the RI/MA border. you could have the parts next day. see if they will price match. BOCH is usually 33% off MSRP.

sounds like your parents will want/need the AHC though.

@white_lx : Didn't specify, I believe they are talking about the lone accumulator, not the "globes" as we refer to them (so $340). I'm sure they won't want to splice but is that a common, non Toyota dealership fix for the AHC lines? I've called my local dealership to compare to make sure they aren't gouging since she's an out-of-town-er that is pretty much at their mercy.

I think they will attempt the line if I push but part of what they do it prep you for the worst, hence the $2800 quote. Part of me is shaking my head because I tell them to power wash UNDER the car often but given the condition of these lines I'm not 100% sure they do it often enough living in the Northeast.

@kruisinkid : I doubt we have time to supply our own parts unfortunately, she's got to be on the road back from MD up to CT tomorrow but I like where your head is at.

I want them to switch to conventional but it's a hard sell for the, especially with my father lowering the AHC to back up to a trailer and then raising, he LOVES that!

can they at least price match with BOCH prices? can you post an estimate of cost breakdown?

@kruisinkid : That's a good idea.

Once I've got a quote from the dealership up here I'll see where we stand, I trust them as they seem to be one of the few honest Toyota dealerships that know LCs. If they come in cheaper I'll call them back and see if they can match at all. Otherwise I'll see if they can just top off the AHC fluid and send her back home and we can sort it out.

Anything wrong with that plan?

probably not. is it really eff'ing up the ride? sorry i know not of AHC except for what i read in the mud funnies. sounds like a pain in the ass though.

post up the p/n's they want to change. im curious what they can be had for at boch. you can always try and negotiate the parts cost down. ive read lots of posts here that that has happened. at least 10% seems to be within reason

If rust took out the accumulator, it's going to take out other parts as well soon, do not repair AHC, yank it out and put traditional suspension in there for them.

Id swap into conventional suspension if it was DIY, but since your folks would be paying dealer labor to remove AHC components, and paying dealer labor and retail parts prices for new suspension, the end result may be close to same as repairing AHC. You need to run the numbers and decide.

Since they prefer AHC seems like that will be eventual choice- maybe you can help them negotiate the AHC repair down.

Last edited:
Tell them you would rather wait and order from another dealer online like BOCH mentioned earlier, unless they will price match. Guaranteed they will work with you on the parts cost.

Thanks all for the replies guys. Going traditional is a non-starter as it turns out. Too much value in lowering/raising for ease of access and hooking up trailers. I called my local dealer and they came in around 2300 so I told my Mom to push back a bit and I think it worked. Job is getting done today as they said, amazingly, the rest of the components aren't in as rough a shape.

Since it's not sitting on the bump stops I told her to at least threaten to just have them top it off (if they couldn't price match) and she could drive it home, but she places some value in just having it done and not having to deal with it anymore so I'm sure they're working on it now to get it wrapped up before EOD today.

Fingers crossed they honor a price match, I have my doubts.

Call them up around lunch and “check in” with them and push them a little on the price if youre not happy with it. But $500 is something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom