Round Headlights - 90 versus 95 series (because all the cool kids rock round) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDM Journeys

Threads
I've had several inquiries over the years about the difference between the 90 and 95 series headlights, and how to convert from one to the other etc. Latest was from @thegreenman so thanks for the prompting...

So obviously mine came from the factory with 7" rounds lights. This seemed to be a 2 door 90 series standard until around 2000 or so, when they all switched to flush lights, like the 4 door 95's had from their inception.

The lights themselves are standard 7 inchers, no special part numbers there. I switched my JDM RHD lights to LHD hella's, and the light was much better for our roads.

So, here are some closer pics of the lights, and the buckets, etc. Getting the factory parts to do the switch seems to be pricey or maybe not even possible anymore due to availability, but there are some factory repro's now, that might fit the bill? Others can speak to this better than I...
IMG_20211117_190537_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211117_190613_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211117_190601_HDR.jpg

The ring that holds the light into the bucket seems to be standard stuff, avail from any jeep/vw, etc. But the bucket behind it is where the aiming happens, etc...

IMG_20211117_190555_HDR.jpg

And of course you'd still need to source the outer trim, AND ensure that your 4 door's grille was compatible.
IMG_20211117_190622_HDR.jpg

Indicators would also need sourcing, if I'm not mistaken?
IMG_20201117_164852.jpg

Here are a few "naked" pics from when I swapped out the RHD lights. Pretty sure these are safe for work though...

IMG_20200411_140903.jpg

IMG_20191116_113834.jpg

IMG_20191116_105236.jpg

Others will have to chime in with retrofit parts, but hopefully this will help anyone who is interested in the factory differences, and they can go from there...

Can find the headlight bracket + outer housing on yahoo auctions JP. Will need to use a proxy service if shipping outside of Japan:

Buyee is one such proxy buying service for yahoo auctions JP. **Never used them myself so cannot provide any feedback. I am simply using buyee as a search engine here as they make it easier to browse/search in English with their live translation.** You can find a lot of other JDM buying proxy services online.

Search for query for “Prado 90/95” in Japanese, under the Toyota headlights category. Scroll until you find them.

Example of a unit that includes the bracket + outer housing,:

All seem to be sold by the same seller, approx 30,728 yen. Not including shipping costs, overseas shipping, proxy agent fees, etc.

Note: some units only come with the bracket, others only come with the outer housing, etc.

No idea if this can be swapped out easily with the regular 4 door headlights, or if modifications will need to be made. Found this video where he purchased what appears to be a very similar (or same) kit and it does seem to easily swapped in.

If anyone can guinea pig this, please let me know how it goes, and how much shipping costs!

Swaps from flush headlights to round headlights is simple enough. You only need to make sure you have all components necessary for the round ones: buckets, surrounds and the lights themselves. The indicators are the same for both models, as well as the grills. It only takes about an hour or two to do the swap.

I converted my flush-lighted 90 to rounds with all original parts, at first using Koito RHD lights and then swapped to Trucklite LED's, which was the reason for swapping from the flush lights in the first place. The light output and quality from LED replacements is MUCH better than any sort of bulb combined with the flush reflectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom