Rough Idle then dies- Solved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Symptoms: Engine idles extremely rough and if it doesn't die, gets worse under load (driving up an incline)

Vehicle: Bone stock 2/71 FJ40
Engine: Orig F engine w/ 100K miles (not rebuilt)
Carb: Asian recently rebuilt by Marks Offroad

Several mechanically inclined folks thought it was a problem with the carb, fuel filter, or fuel pump.

My steps:

1. Changed fuel filter- no improvement
2. Gravity fed fuel into carburetor inlet port- no change
3. Thought some crap must have somehow gotten into the carb... was going to lose my mind after just having it rebuilt (not cheap!)
4. Opened the distributor and used compressed air to blow out some debris. 5. Cleaned contact where wire met the distributor with a Dremmel and small wire attachment.
6. Began researching on Mudd
7. Read a post about the carb solenoid sometimes causing problems
8. Traced wire from solenoid to the bottom of coil.
8. Removed coil to clean wire terminals with the Dremmel (all the terminals on the vehicle were old and rusted)
9. While cleaning the terminals, I noticed the end of the wire was frayed where it met the coil, so I cut the frayed part off and put on a new terminal.
10. Fired it up and it purred like a kitten!

PROBLEM SOLVED!

... and it only cost me several hours of my weekend.

Glad you were able to work through and get the problem solved. Your information will probably help others in the same/similar situation.

Glad you were able to work through and get the problem solved. Your information will probably help others in the same/similar situation.
Yeah, that's why I posted it and kept it short and sweet. I love when folks post such things and give the bullet points on what they tried and what eventually worked. The cruiser has been my maiden voyage into automotive mechanics... in other words I don't know what I'm doing! I figure if I learn a little each week, by the time I retire I'll be able to hit the ground running. Besides, if I would have taken it to an automotive shop they probably would have just started replacing parts. They may have fixed the problem, but it would have been a boatload of unnecessary replacement parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom