Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NICE LOOKIN RIDE YOU GOT THERE :grinpimp:

Somethings missing....
Tranny Install 1.jpg

Ken and I are pretty bad at taking pictures I guess, :lol: but the H55 install went pretty smoothly. Only broke two bolts, same one on each side of the tranny cross member. Having that 5th gear is AWESOME!!!

While everything was out, we ground out the tab on the transfer linkage so I could shift into 2-low ( also really fricking sweet ) and the tranny came with a new reverse indicator sensor. Having reverse lights at night is going to be useful.

Thanks again Kenny!

Last edited:
where's the write-up on storage/sleeping system? inquiring minds [idea thiefs] wanna see....

yea, sure I could search, but this is ROTW, correct? ;)

where's the write-up on storage/sleeping system? inquiring minds [idea thiefs] wanna see....

yea, sure I could search, but this is ROTW, correct? ;)

I haven't done a write up on the storage / sleeping system yet because it's not done. Its construction has been stolen from a couple of different people on the forum so I can't claim that it's my design, but I'll put something together later.

Yeah this is my ROTW from last year. I decided that instead of starting a bunch of different threads about my rig that I'll just put it all here. Thanks for looking!

Storage and Sleeping System

Finished up my storage / sleeping system last night, all except for mounting it to the floor. I have yet to decide how to do that, so it will come soon. As of right now, it's pretty snug in between the wheel wells.
Assembled Drawers 1.jpg
Assembled Drawers 2.jpg
Assembled Drawers 3.jpg

Storage and Sleeping System cont.

I used the metal on the corners to reinforce the box as well as provide a couple more tie down points. The pulls are doubled up 1/2" synthetic winch line that Kenny had left over from winding up his winch. I'll let the pictures do the talking....
Assembled Drawers 4.jpg
Assembled Drawers 5.jpg
Assembled Drawers 6.jpg

I also removed that pesky rear carpet. It was dirty and I need to cut out some rust, so not having the carpet will constantly remind me that I have to do it.

I'd like to do the same thing on mine; any reason you didn't widen it out to the wall panels aft of the wheel wells? And are the nice red handles leftovers from earlier, or the remnants of the Black Mountain debacle? Nice work man!
:banana:

I'm glad you asked!! The reason why I didn't expand it to the sides was to be able to accommodate Kevin's Quarter Panel Storage Hatches which will match my Tailgate Storage hatch. However, he just made a set with doors that have the hinge higher, so I'm not sure if it was worth while or not. Time will tell.

As for the winch line, Kenny said that it was left over, but I'm gonna say that it's the remnants of that night. I will NEVER forget that trip!!

By the way, we're going to Tennessee this weekend and I'm taking my truck. When are you going to come out and wheel with us??

The remnants from that night are buried in 2 feet of mud on the side of a mountain!:eek:

Haha, true. By the way my wheels are getting here tomorrow. They hit the UPS facility in Lexington today, so they'll be here tomorrow! :bounce::bounce2:

15x10 w/ 2.5" BS steelies that are getting powder coated. SWEET!

Tennessee sounds fun! Where ya going? I'll be in eastern NC visiting my family.

The videos from the Kentucky trip are all done, and I finally finished typing the report yesterday. So I'll start to post it in the exped section this weekend or Monday/Tuesday. Feel free to comment or correct me when I do!

Tennessee sounds fun! Where ya going? I'll be in eastern NC visiting my family.

The videos from the Kentucky trip are all done, and I finally finished typing the report yesterday. So I'll start to post it in the exped section this weekend or Monday/Tuesday. Feel free to comment or correct me when I do!

We're going to Windrock, but I'm not sure exactly where that is yet. Either way, there will be pictures!!

HD videos??? Awesome! I'll keep my eye on the expedition section.

Guys, here are the dimensions for the drawers in case anyone wants to build them. I also attached a pic of the sleeping platform folded out. I gotta tell you, I love it!
Assembled Drawers 7.jpg
Drawers.JPG

Great ROTW... I remember when you first signed up back in '05 - crazy that it's been that long. You really remind me a lot of myself except I was a hair older when I stumbled upon the mighty Land Cruiser that was also a FJ60 and went through some of that stuff. Wrecked, and a couple others... From NY state originaly and went to college up in Vermont and boy have I dealt with rust... 10 years later stuck through it doing diesel conversions and fab and all sorts of fun stuff. Coming from someone who hardly knew how to change his oil when I entered college it told me that one can do absolutely anything they want to when you put your mind to. Enjoy college, that is just awesome. We fit 14 people in my FJ60 once :)

Thanks a lot bud! It has been quite a while since I've joined, but man it has been good. Getting to know people like yourself, even if it is through a forum, has been well worth the time and expense of my both of my 60's. I didn't know that you were originally from NY though!! Where did you live?

I know what you mean about learning to work on vehicles through a cruiser. I'll never forget how long it took me to replace the manifolds on my first 60, probably about a month! Slowly but surely I'm getting to the skill level where I am not afraid to tear into a project as in depth as a transmission swap, t-case rebuild and whatnot. This has got to be the best hobby ever. You know Kevin Rowland, right? He lives right by where I do up in Rochester so I go over and bug him all the time. He taught me to TIG weld a couple of months ago! It never ceases to amaze me how generous cruiserheads are.

College is incredible, as I'm sure you know. I haven't fit that many people in my cruiser, probably a max of 9 or so thus far, but I did find out that you can fit almost exactly 100 pumpkins in a stock 60 :grinpimp:

Thanks for the post and hopefully I'll get to meet you some day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom