ROTM March 2019 - Salero Road & Patagonia Ghost Town Loop (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast
Threads
Hey everyone!

So instead of the Tucson Monthly Meeting we’re looking at doing a trail run this Saturday. The Patagonia Ghost Town Loop is the run that we're going on. We are also going to take Salero Road to get there from Amado which is 39 miles of dirt on top of the 45 miles for the Ghost Town Loop. Both trails are relatively easy and a stock 4x4 can make it.

What you need to know:

When: 10:00 AM, Saturday, March 9th, 2019

Where: We are meeting at the Fry’s Marketplace at 15950 S Rancho Sahuarita Blvd, Sahuarita, AZ 85629 From here we will drive to Amado which should take about half hour.

What to bring: Bring plenty of food and water for yourself/friends. We are meeting at a Fry’s so if you want to get there a little early and do some shopping you can.

Gas Situation: The loop is ~45 miles plus the 39 miles on Salero. We can stop and fuel at the Amado Mini Market or in Green Valley if anyone desperately needs to refuel. It would not be a bad idea to bring spare fuel as well.

Weather: It’s supposed to be cloudy with a high of 67. Perfect for wheeling!

CB Radio/Communication: We will use CB Channel 3. You can always feel free to message me on here or text me at 520-404-4698 if you have any questions.

Gameplan: We are looking to meetup at the Fry’s at 10:00 AM. We can refuel there and will allow a little bit of time for everyone to get there. If you cannot make it please let me know so I can remove you from the head count. We will be having a quick meeting with an overview of the trails and some basic rules/safety measures before we hit the road.

I am hoping we can be on the road somewhere between 10:15 – 10:30. From there we will take take 1-19 down to Amado, where we can fill up on gas and then will branch of onto Salero Road. Salero Road will take us to Patagonia where we will do the Ghost Town Loop. We can stop again in Patagonia at Pat Gas & Services for those who want to fill up before taking off.

We will take the trail through the ghost towns of Harshaw, Lochiel, Duquesne & Washington. We can stop at some point to eat lunch depending on how everyone is feeling. We will probably have some time to take some pictures at the ghost towns so account for those as well.

The loop will take us back to where we came in so we can re-fuel again if needed and hit the road back to Tucson where we will have post run food and drinks at place that is to be determined. We can feel that out while we’re wheeling.

Who’s Going?

So here's a list of who's going for sure so far:

@yotadude520
@drenmaster
@ttubb
@mtn biker
@cruzer971
@Jebbud
@D_Web
@Enrique Sonora
@lxraider75
@wildling

Potentially going:

@OverLand Cruisers
@Garrissey
@Wilma83

Not going:

@ARJMN
@medtro
@Abigail
@splitshot

Who else wants to go?

Anyone from Phoenix want to make this run with us?

Last edited:
Thanks for leading the charge @yotadude520 . I am going to be on lame domestic duty trying to finish my front yard landscaping before the HOA blows a gasket. I can meet up after the run and raffle the ARB Strap if so desired. If not, we can do it at the April meet.

Hey everyone!

So instead of the Tucson Monthly Meeting we’re looking at doing a trail run this Saturday (March 9, 2019) The Patagonia Ghost Town Loop is the run that we're going on. Has anyone other than @ollanik done this run? I’ve personally never done this but it looks like a stock truck should be able to get through it from what I’ve read. The run should take about 3 hours and is 45 miles – mainly dirt roads. We’re looking to meet up at the Fry's Marketplace at 15950 S Rancho Sahuarita Blvd, Sahuarita, AZ 85629 at 10:00.

So here's a list of who's going for sure so far:

@yotadude520
@drenmaster
@ttubb
@mtn biker

Possibly?

@ARJMN
@Abigail
@wildling
@cruzer971
@OverLand Cruisers
@splitshot
@Garrissey
@Wilma83

And who else??

Anyone from Phoenix want to make this run with us?

We’re also thinking about doing a post run 🍺 meetup afterwards but haven’t decided on where yet. Anyone have any good ideas?
I’m a new to wheeling
I just joined the PHX group last month. I’m new to this. I’d love to go. I’m very inexperienced at this and could use some coaching. If that’s ok with you guys I’d like to join you.

Thanks for leading the charge @yotadude520 . I am going to be on lame domestic duty trying to finish my front yard landscaping before the HOA blows a gasket. I can meet up after the run and raffle the ARB Strap if so desired. If not, we can do it at the April meet.

We could maybe do after over a beer! I'm still not sure how long the run will take. It should only be a couple hours, with stopping at places to take pictures and explore.

Bull Springs Road | AZoffroading.com this is the "road" that goes from Amado to Patagonia and this looks like it would be a pretty good run in and of itself and the trail difficulty is moderate for an out and back 3-4 hours

I’m a new to wheeling

I just joined the PHX group last month. I’m new to this. I’d love to go. I’m very inexperienced at this and could use some coaching. If that’s ok with you guys I’d like to join you.

Welcome to the club! This seems to be a very easy trail mainly on Forest Service Roads that takes us to all the ghost towns in the south. You are more than welcome to join us!

Bull Springs Road | AZoffroading.com this is the "road" that goes from Amado to Patagonia and this looks like it would be a pretty good run in and of itself and the trail difficulty is moderate for an out and back 3-4 hours

That might be an idea. Have you ever done it? We can get to the Ghost Town Trail Loop via the 82. It'll take a little over an hour!

Looks like a great run but I can't make the 9th, have fun and take lots of pics!! :steer:

I haven' done it. but it looks more scenic going over the mountain or are we dead set on doing ghost town. could be a topic of discussion on Saturday morning

The Bull Springs/ Salero road is easy. I would recommend taking it down to Patagonia. Then going on down to Duquesne. If people are feeling the time crunch after hitting the ghost town loop they can Cruise up I19 or 83 back to town. Or I can show you the back way to Box Canyon and green valley. I have worked down in that area for nine years so I might be a good guide or we might end up doing an all nighter!

Edit. The ghost town loop is accessible by passenger cars so I would prefer to add in some more back roads to add at least some challenge.

Last edited:
I updated the
I haven' done it. but it looks more scenic going over the mountain or are we dead set on doing ghost town. could be a topic of discussion on Saturday morning

I'm pretty pumped about doing the Ghost Town Loop..it looks pretty cool! But we could throw in the Salero Road trip to get there if everyone is game!

The Bull Springs/ Salero road is easy. I would recommend taking it down to Patagonia. Then going on down to Duquesne. If people are feeling the time crunch after hitting the ghost town loop they can Cruise up I19 or 83 back to town. Or I can show you the back way to Box Canyon and green valley. I have worked down in that area for nine years so I might be a good guide or we might end up doing an all nighter!

Are you going to be able to make it? It'd be great to have you come along especially if you know the area!

So it's going to be my birthday and my wife just told me I couldn't go on the run😢.

Because She is throwing a party for me. So I begged and pleaded and I got permission to go but I have to be home by 3. So I'll join up for the first part and get everybody lost, then bail out and head home!

I just thought that somebody had better pick something or it might not happen and I would end up doing yard work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom