Rosie the Riveter Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great John, nice to see the updates.

Is that oil filter housing the one that fits with the oil filter below it?
What oil filter housing is that? the one on the truck or the one that I completely forgot to buy from @stevebradford... sry Steve, I'd still buy that if you still have it.
The one on the cruiser has the opening of the filter facing down so it makes a mess when you do an oil change. the one I would like to put on there has the oil filter opening facing up so it is nice and clean.

Oh shoot yes the one from Steve, thought you were selling one, I like the down word filters for turbos

Update.
Sorry for the LOOOOOOOONG delay, I am still alive. We bought a piece of property up island from a hoarder and have been doing a lot of clean up, demo and garbage removal. The place does have a shop thought and a tonne of potential.

The water pump went on the cruiser just as we were moving up-island. Luckily, for me, a buddy agreed to drive it up for me before we realized just how much of a "s*** the bed" situation the water pump was in. He limped it from gas station to gas station filling the rad and 4, 2 gallon jugs and just limped it here. I put it in storage and got busy cleaning up the place and fixing the shop up till I could roll the cruiser in there and do the water pump. After cleaning the last owners garbage out fo the shop with a skidsteer and pouring a new floor I finally got around to fixing up the cruiser. First I put the batteries that I had stolen out of it to jumpstart other stuff back in and charged them. Tthen after doing the pump I filled it with coolant and fired it up, only to find a leak and discover that the rad had a crack/pinhole.
I drained it and cleaned up around the hole, soldered it, reinstalled it and pressure tested it before filling it this time *smart*. It held pressure all night. I called it good to go and filled it this morning and now I'm just working the air out of the system.

Rad fix.jpg
Pressure test.jpg

All in all I'd call this a good day.

Update.
Sorry for the LOOOOOOOONG delay, I am still alive. We bought a piece of property up island from a hoarder and have been doing a lot of clean up, demo and garbage removal. The place does have a shop thought and a tonne of potential.

The water pump went on the cruiser just as we were moving up-island. Luckily, for me, a buddy agreed to drive it up for me before we realized just how much of a "s*** the bed" situation the water pump was in. He limped it from gas station to gas station filling the rad and 4, 2 gallon jugs and just limped it here. I put it in storage and got busy cleaning up the place and fixing the shop up till I could roll the cruiser in there and do the water pump. After cleaning the last owners garbage out fo the shop with a skidsteer and pouring a new floor I finally got around to fixing up the cruiser. First I put the batteries that I had stolen out of it to jumpstart other stuff back in and charged them. Tthen after doing the pump I filled it with coolant and fired it up, only to find a leak and discover that the rad had a crack/pinhole.
I drained it and cleaned up around the hole, soldered it, reinstalled it and pressure tested it before filling it this time *smart*. It held pressure all night. I called it good to go and filled it this morning and now I'm just working the air out of the system.

View attachment 3182861View attachment 3182860

All in all I'd call this a good day.

Nice work, and glad you've got your shop in good shape to do this sort of stuff!

So. Took the cruiser hunting last week. Drove it up past Port Alice and out to the west coast. It worked great until the bolts holding the Alternator on broke off and then it overheated and blew the rad. I pulled over, in the middle of absolute nowhere and pulled the rad out and was looking at a 10hr walk into town. Out of nowhere a forester pulled up and gave me a lift in to Port Alice where I was able to find someone who could sell me some JB weld to patch it back together and get me back on the road. I spent the night in Port Alice and then caught a ride back out to the downed cruiser in the morning and put it back together. The Jb weld reduced the deluge to a minor leak and I limped the old girl into town. Me and an old guy, Dave, drilled out the broken bolts and he made/modified me some new bolts to replace the old ones and welded up the bracket the alternator pivots on. I spent the rest of the week hunting and topping up the rad every couple of hours or so.

After a good week in the bush I limped home and am now in search of a new 3b diesel rad and the bracket that the alternator tensioner bolts into.

IMG_1441.JPEG

IMG_9690.jpg
IMG_9700.jpg
IMG_9740.jpg
IMG_9759.jpg

Last edited:
That shop in Port Alberni does recores if there's anything left of yours.

Pricey tho. I did that for my 60, but the 40 got one of the eBay aluminum ones. It's been fine for a few years but not a lot of kms. :meh:

That shop in Port Alberni does recores if there's anything left of yours.

Pricey tho. I did that for my 60, but the 40 got one of the eBay aluminum ones. It's been fine for a few years but not a lot of kms. :meh:
I love the idea of sticking with the brass/copper rad because the system vibrates so much but the rad I have is out of the 6cyl gas 2f not the 4 cyl diesel 3b so the outlet is on the passenger side not the driver side. That made me get a little creative with my coolant piping. I would rather a brass/copper diesel radiator because the outlet will be on the correct side and make life easier.

They can move outlets when recoring, but always depends how thin the brass tanks are now. Eventually they wear out and can't be recored.

my aluminum has the lower on the correct side, but yeah I do always wonder when the leak is gonna hit.

a new brass one is probably out there. You can even get a new hj61 brass rad from Europe, 42's are more common I think. Weird as that is to say...:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom