Rookie With First Time Project FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I believe a company called Real Steel may also have the fenders. I have not started looking yet for replacements as the vehicle I am currently involved with is slated to be mechanically 100% yet look like it was just rolled back over.

So I’m just about sold on swapping the Aqualu 3/4 tub in myself.

Will I need to do any welding? I noticed there is a weld where the rocker panel connects to the front half of the body.

You might want to go to the Agualu site and contact them about why their install instructions have no mention of attaching the 3/4 tube to the firewall cowl.

You might want to go to the Agualu site and contact them about why their install instructions have no mention of attaching the 3/4 tube to the firewall cowl.
There are alot builds here that have shown how it gets attached.

Okay. I ordered and received the new tub and have started to strip the interior. I have removed the doors, the seats, the roll bar, and the gas tank.

I have three questions.

1) I was able to remove all but three of the bolts that attach the tub to the frame. These three bolts are accessible from underneath the vehicle. I am able to turn the remaining three bolts with a socket wrench, but they just spin and don't come out. How do you suggest I get these things out?

2) I am getting ready to remove the trans. tunnel and cannot determine what this small hose is that runs up from under the trans. tunnel, through a hole in the trans. tunnel, and runs up somewhere under the dash. (See picture) What is this hose for? Do I need to save it, or can I easily replace it?

3) Aqualu's instructions for removing the existing tub say to "grind the spot welds along the front seam. There is a factory seam along the floor underneath the driver's and passenger's feet." I can see this seam on the passenger's side. However, I cannot find the seam on the driver's side floor as there appears to be an additional layer of metal welded to the driver's side floor. (see pictures) Has anyone ever come across this before? Is this factory work on a 1975, or is this a patch job? How do I know where to make my cut with the cutting wheel when the seam is covered by this additional metal?

FJ-trans-hose.jpg

FJ-DR-floor2.jpg

FJ-DR-floor1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom