Rookie Questions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
10/85 FJ60 new owner
1. Paint missing from leaking gas cap at some point? "is not leaking now" she has a standard gas cap. Not a venting cap. The book showed a venting cap. Do I need a factory venting cap? Or is the cap that is on it fine?

2. Power steering reservor. Cap does not seat tight so fluid splashes out. It should be tight right? No need to vent?

Thanks, Jim

________
Started a list and adding to it daily. She will be on blocks soon!
"twisted I konw" After I get the wifes bathroom done. A new 60 is a remodel motivater. Tthats what my wife says :-}

I got my gas cap at PepBoys...just know that its new, shinny, and it fits.

The power steering cap on my 60 has some play in it also. I tinkered wit mine and made it fit tighter.

the Power stering resivor cap sholud be tight it will make a big mess if its not be sure there is a gasket under the cap

My original PS pump cap was loose. Now have a brand new pump, and the cap fits tight. Guess that's the way it's supposed to be.

I would get an OEM gas cap. However, I think I got mine from NAPA and it works fine.

The PS pump reservoir cap is supposed to be tight. ATF fluid will eat your paint and ruin the smog pump so make sure you do not have ATF fluid spilling out of the reservoir.

One trick I learned (I think on IH8MUD) a while back was to flip the gasket on the PS pump reservoir cap to make it seal better. Be careful not to break it as it gets brittle over time. I did this and it helped a lot.

I created a new gasket with some silcone. Seems to work fine. Its a year old and in good shape.

Before I got my new PS pump I got some sort of universal gasket at my local Autozone that did the trick for a year or so. But it should def. be tight on PS pump.

I believe that the fuel system should vent through the charcoal canister. Perhaps the FSM calls for a vented cap in case the canister becomes blocked. When my truck had a non-vented cap and a blocked canister, the truck bucked at freeway speeds.

IH8Wood said:
I believe that the fuel system should vent through the charcoal canister. Perhaps the FSM calls for a vented cap in case the canister becomes blocked. When my truck had a non-vented cap and a blocked canister, the truck bucked at freeway speeds.
i think thats whats wrong with mine. thanks for that post. sometimes mines so tight its hard to get the cap off from the pressure. time for a new canister i think and a venting gas cap.
ive been suspicious of this for a while. wasnt aware that the original cap vented. makes sense though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom