Roof Top Tent Vs. Roof Rack Vs No roof rack at all (also hammocks)... (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Diff Kraken

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok... Here's the thing- I don't 100% understand why folks dont sleep in the truck itself with a sleeping pad... this is one reason I bought a big enclosed SUV / truck. I assume if you have a roof rack you can load all your stuff on the roof and sleep in the truck? Or if you have a roof top tent you pack stuff in the truck and sleep in the tent ... and if you have no roof rack you just pack stuff in the truck and can sleep there too by pushing stuff to the side / into front seats.. I imagine with 1 or 2 people there is very little difference between these 3 options.

I mean sure- for extended overlanding a rtt and drawers for stuff is ideal but I assume most folks in the USA are doing like 1 or 2 night trips within an hour or two of a major interstate... and aren't people trending towards hammocks these days anyway? any insight welcome...

I have a hammock setup that works on the truck (no trees) and a teardrop for off-road. Both work depending on how severe the trails are.

I don’t get the RTTs either. Top heavy, lots of wind resistance. PIA to put on and take off.

I built a little wooden platform that takes place of the “60” section of my second row. I’m 6” and I have plenty of leg room and head room when I sit up. Quiet and comfortable. I run the air for 20-30 minutes before I go to bed on hot nights and it’s amazing. I also string a net across the rearmost grab handles that I use to hold battery powered fans. Glamp-tactic

full

full

full

The polka dot bag is my wife’s. I swear. It holds a Coleman camp stove like a champ.

I often take my kids so the rtt is a great option for me especially on long trips.

Hardcore trails I use my Samurai and bring a tent cot

My wife and I take the 2nd row seats out and sleep in the car. I don't feel bad saying this because we all drive a Lexus, but the Exped megamat duos are life-changing. Also the exact size of the truck floor space.

In the summer our dog sleeps outside, and because neither my dog nor my wife particularly like the cold I get the whole thing to myself in the winter.
I will say that it's a tad annoying moving everything out of the car to sleep, but still worth it. I made a platform that was the height of the 2nd row seats folded over but didn't like the lack of headroom when in sleep-mode.

My most current plan is to build a thin (~5") platform with drawers for the trunk that will hold all the heavy tools and recovery gear so I don't have to move it it in and out (just tall enough to hold a CV I think) that still gives me more headroom than a seat-height platform.

This thing can go most places when you are overlanding, or just setting up a base camp and wheeling out and back. It can also do some trials and has the same wheels/tires as the truck so extra spares. Generator, AC, Heat, RTT for the kids, etc. I didn't want to make my truck hampered for wheeling to accommodate sleeping/camping. The hammock system I use is pretty cool. I slept in it a week last year at Rubithon and it was perfect (pic is on a giant boulder at Rubicon Springs that no one could put a tent on, but the hammock was just right).

28337576_421235438312350_6132763145730535195_o.jpg

42432901_10155850558153123_6225996291772514304_n.jpg

I have a semi permanent sleeping platform with window shades and curtains. Roof cargo box holds most stuff. If I'm on a solo trip, the ice chest sleeps next to me.

We end up just regular tent camping. Between the kiddo and the doggo RTT doesn't make sense and can't sleep all of us inside the truck without ditching gear outside the vehicle.

I think a lot of people's sleeping choices are based off the number of bodies they're carrying. If it was just me and the wife all the time we would RTT. If it was just me alone, I would sleep inside with a roof rack for gear.

I fold both rows and put an inflatable mattress on top. It's 95% flat and plenty comfy. I also have a suction cup window mount for my ipad. I sleep like a king during snowboard season.

Like others have mentioned, I think the situation, number of people in your party along comfort desires dictate what you bring along. It's a progression... I slept on the ground in a poncho and poncho liner combo for years like a burrito. wanted to get off the ground due to critters so went the Hammock route but you'll freeze like a popsicle in the winter! Then went to a 4 season tent, family bigger tent etc etc. I've never liked using the vehicle as a dedicated sleeping arrangement although I have, just didn't like the compromise of space and storage. RTTs were out of my budget range for what they are and wasn't a fan of the high COG that comes along with them. Plus the NE and the low lying branches would probably chew it up rather quickly.
Now with lots of aches, pains and metal, we opted for a teardrop for comfort features, base camping and more space. I can take it out, setup camp, unhook and go explore. Takes about 5-10 minutes to "fully setup" or tear down. In reality, pull off, crawl in the trailer and go to sleep if needed. 5-10 if you want to level it, unhook from the truck and setup for an extended stay.

I don’t get the RTTs either. Top heavy, lots of wind resistance. PIA to put on and take off.

full

The polka dot bag is my wife’s. I swear. It holds a Coleman camp stove like a champ.

What net is that you are using?

My wife and I take the 2nd row seats out and sleep in the car. I don't feel bad saying this because we all drive a Lexus, but the Exped megamat duos are life-changing. Also the exact size of the truck floor space.
View attachment 1972301

In the summer our dog sleeps outside, and because neither my dog nor my wife particularly like the cold I get the whole thing to myself in the winter.
I will say that it's a tad annoying moving everything out of the car to sleep, but still worth it. I made a platform that was the height of the 2nd row seats folded over but didn't like the lack of headroom when in sleep-mode.

My most current plan is to build a thin (~5") platform with drawers for the trunk that will hold all the heavy tools and recovery gear so I don't have to move it it in and out (just tall enough to hold a CV I think) that still gives me more headroom than a seat-height platform.
Good to know the exped megamat duo fits, love that thing! Don’t think I will ever sleep in the vehicle with the wife and kiddo. Love my 6 person blackpine turbo tent.

As other have said, depends on what you want or need as each fill a need/want. Wife and I bought a used Autohome Airtop (hard top) RTT that was like new, still had plastic on the mattress. We both think it rocks! It goes on in the spring and off in the fall. You can find a whole bunch of pros/cons everywhere on the web and some have been mentioned here.

My thoughts:

Top heavy vehicle- sure it is more so than stock but dealing with it is simply awareness and picking your line maybe a bit different. When it was on my 80 it went to the Maze, Needles district, etc. and never felt handicapped. Others have had them in rugged areas.

Fuel economy- I take about 1-1.5 mpg hit at highway speeds, that's it.

Set up- Mine takes about 30 seconds to set up. Bedding stays set up during a trip so no need to repeatedly pack and unpack that stuff. Plus wife and I get to sleep under the sheets and comforter. Closing the RTT takes maybe 5 minutes. No need to unload/load the vehicle and worry about rain etc. We are generally packed full even with 2nd row seats out for extended expo/camping/fishing trips. RTT is still very handy for even quick weekend getaways.

Late arrivals- Its not uncommon on our trips to arrive in unfamiliar areas trying to find a dispersed camp spot after dark. We don't have to worry about finding a level rock free camping spot. Generally a rock or two under one tire will level us out.

Off the ground- Real plus for my wife's peace of mind when in grizzly country.

No third axle- When we had kids at home we did the m416 trailer thing with a Kodiak tent. Don't get me wrong, the set up was cool and that trailer would go everywhere and tracked beautifully behind the 80. Took it to Top of the World, Kokopelli trail, etc. Just simply dragging third axle up/down ledges and through obstacles made the driving much more tiring.

So RTT is here to stay for us for most outings until I can't crawl into anymore. Definitely not for everyone.

I do have a 1996 small Coleman pop up we got for $800 to use in late fall for hunting, mainly to get out of the wind/weather for cooking. RTT is stowed away in the garage at this point in the year.

Recently I bought an ice fishing hut I use for a warm place to cook and get out of the weather when the pop up is not a viable option and RTT is off. I'll either sleep inside vehicle or in a ground tent.

There are some pics of RTT in my build thread.

As other have said, depends on what you want or need as each fill a need/want. Wife and I bought a used Autohome Airtop (hard top) RTT that was like new, still had plastic on the mattress. We both think it rocks! It goes on in the spring and off in the fall. You can find a whole bunch of pros/cons everywhere on the web and some have been mentioned here.

My thoughts:

Top heavy vehicle- sure it is more so than stock but dealing with it is simply awareness and picking your line maybe a bit different. When it was on my 80 it went to the Maze, Needles district, etc. and never felt handicapped. Others have had them in rugged areas.

Fuel economy- I take about 1-1.5 mpg hit at highway speeds, that's it.

Set up- Mine takes about 30 seconds to set up. Bedding stays set up during a trip so no need to repeatedly pack and unpack that stuff. Plus wife and I get to sleep under the sheets and comforter. Closing the RTT takes maybe 5 minutes. No need to unload/load the vehicle and worry about rain etc. We are generally packed full even with 2nd row seats out for extended expo/camping/fishing trips. RTT is still very handy for even quick weekend getaways.

Late arrivals- Its not uncommon on our trips to arrive in unfamiliar areas trying to find a dispersed camp spot after dark. We don't have to worry about finding a level rock free camping spot. Generally a rock or two under one tire will level us out.

Off the ground- Real plus for my wife's peace of mind when in grizzly country.

No third axle- When we had kids at home we did the m416 trailer thing with a Kodiak tent. Don't get me wrong, the set up was cool and that trailer would go everywhere and tracked beautifully behind the 80. Took it to Top of the World, Kokopelli trail, etc. Just simply dragging third axle up/down ledges and through obstacles made the driving much more tiring.

So RTT is here to stay for us for most outings until I can't crawl into anymore. Definitely not for everyone.

I do have a 1996 small Coleman pop up we got for $800 to use in late fall for hunting, mainly to get out of the wind/weather for cooking. RTT is stowed away in the garage at this point in the year.

Recently I bought an ice fishing hut I use for a warm place to cook and get out of the weather when the pop up is not a viable option and RTT is off. I'll either sleep inside vehicle or in a ground tent.

There are some pics of RTT in my build thread.
All good points. Thanks for weighing in!

I’m with @Arailt in terms of solo camping. I got tired of moving things in and out, so one side for bed and the other for boxes. I used two self-inflatable pads. I pack the boxes in a way that the bottom boxes only need to be opened in an emergency, so I keep all the recovery tools. fluids, parts in a bottom box. Bottom box also has extra water jugs. Easy to access kitchen, pantry, cleaning supplies.

F1541FD2-36AD-4C90-BDC9-F03F845DA03C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom