Roof Rack (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

80and100cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I need a roof rack for my 1999 UZJ100. I am thinking ARB, and I emailed Slee about them. I am going on a ski trip to colorado :beer: and have a full car. Its first function will be to allow me to strap in luggage while going 70mph on highways. After that it will be a general rack. I was going to rig up something using an old thule system, but my dad didn't like what I had done, personally I think it was fine. What else is there?

-Matt

Not sure if the ARB racks are even sold in the US anymore, something about takin up too much room in the shipping container, ARB USA can stuff alot more lockers in the same space as a rack.

Look at the MAF(Kaymar) Trademan or a Hanibal($$$$$$)

with ARB
CMCC01.jpg

clean
2_0149.jpg

with Hannibal
buttcheeksmk.jpg

For appearance, clean wins. For appearance with rack, the ARB wins. For performance with nice look, the Hannibal wins.

What prices should I expect?

-Matt

The Hannibal is well over $1k. The ARB will be tough to find. I helped 2 blokes find them at my local shop a few months ago. Not sure what they go for, but you'll have a hard time finding one probably. Clean was free since my truck never had the pos OEM rack on it. :D

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=9120;start=msg79336#msg79336 date=1072151270]
The Hannibal is well over $1k.
[/quote]

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

that was for '99 right?

and how does one put a rack on a 100 btw? drill?

e

I have found some that mount to the factory roof rack. What do yall think is a good roof rack for 200-500 bucks?

Over a grand?????? Gimmie a bumper or sliders :flipoff2:

-Matt

I talked to one of the ARB reps on the phone and he confirmed that they are no longer importing the roof racks because of the space on container ships. I think it's a shame b/c it's the best rack by far in my opinion, and if a product is selling why stop selling it? :doh: When i ordered mine from him 8 months ago he said i got the last one :flipoff2:. The thing is sturdy enough to set two lounge chairs on top and watch races! :beer: :beer:

Matt,

Have you thought about those "roof enemas"? That's what my wife calls the roof top cargo carriers that are aerodynamic looking! These things can hold a crap load of stuff, keep them dry and secure while keeping the wind noise down and impacting your mpg a little less than traditiional open racks. Some place even let you rent them for a small fee.

Just a thought.

Ali

A lot of them are sturdy enough for that. :flipoff2:

If you really want an ARB rack, someone can order one for you. When I got the ARB commercial bar, it had been special ordered from OZ. Took awhile, but I got it.

For 2-500 quid, there ain't much. You can look at other alternatives though like ECB, custom etc. Heck about 2 years ago, I was considering making one out of Ti. I had a bunch of free Ti to do with what I wanted.

Some folks may consider that a lot of money for a rack, but then again, I use mine at least once a week. So it depends on what you need it for.

Mounting one on a 100? Dunno. Duct tape or carriage bolts? :flipoff2:

[Cat out of the bag] We are set up as distributors for African Outback Products. First container on the way. They offer drawer systems and roofracks for the 80's and 100's. I have not updated the site yet, but see http://www.outbackproducts.com

The products are not cheap, but the quality is exceptional. The roofrack for the 100 series mounts to a new track that is attached to the factory track on the roof. The racks are all aluminum made from extruded aluminum. The extrusions features channels that accept captures nuts that can slide. So adding your own accessories and mounting stuff is super easy.

Inventory should be here in Feb.

ooolala! congrats, Christo!
can use the factory track eh? Neat! (could not get into their web site for details though)
E

Yakima makes roof racks that allows you to install a number of different types of carriers........ see <www.yakima.com>

Wayne S

I know alot of people dog yakima for off road use...But I have one on my 80, and if properly mounted, and tightened down, it can handle some ABUSE. We wheeled alot this summer in off camber situations just ramming that thing into pine trees, large braches, and it faired quite well. It will hold 200-300lbs...I would not go over that, but if you have a 100, are not planning on trashing it in the forest, you can get really set up for 300 bucks. I have kayaks, bikes, a large basket, and one of those molded plastic aerodynamic cargo gizmo's and they all come on and off easily, making it a snap to re-configure for different excursions. The caro holder is great for winter, and with 2 kids and a dog, space is always at a premium. I have hauled ass for days in a row down chattery dirt roads, nothing comes loose. Now I'd like something more bad ass for in the future...It would suck to break your rack on an outing..but for the money and functionality they are great. And I do like Yakima over Thule...but that's just an opinion.

You can do 3 rain gutter mounts per side with 3 cross bars, bolt anything to that crap and it's pretty stout.

Jeff

I feel bad that you didn;t believe me :flipoff2:

John H

[quote author=concretejungle link=board=2;threadid=9120;start=msg79440#msg79440 date=1072187179]
I talked to one of the ARB reps on the phone and he confirmed that they are no longer importing the roof racks because of the space on container ships. I think it's a shame b/c it's the best rack by far in my opinion, and if a product is selling why stop selling it? :doh: When i ordered mine from him 8 months ago he said i got the last one :flipoff2:. The thing is sturdy enough to set two lounge chairs on top and watch races! :beer: :beer:
[/quote]

landpimp,
I wasn't doubting you. I was trying to say exactamundo on your "stop importing" statement. I didn't mean i confirmed it today, but 8 months ago. :beer:

By the way, how many cruisers do you have? Geeze, seems like you got one of every model. I always said that if i get rich ( :slap:) i'm going to buy one cruiser of every fj model produced. :cheers:

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=9120;start=msg79576#msg79576 date=1072205846]
I feel bad that you didn;t believe me :flipoff2:
John H
[/quote]

Sheesh, next thing you know someone will accuse you of speakers not fitting. :flipoff2: :D :D :D :D :D

I was just kiddin, I would confirm anything I said myself ;)

11 Cruisers(2 are parts rigs), 2 chevy's and I aint rich.........just poor white trash :flipoff2:

missing a fj25 and uzj100(will get soon) also no 70 series......but I'll fix that someday :D

[quote author=concretejungle link=board=2;threadid=9120;start=msg79585#msg79585 date=1072206895]
landpimp,
I wasn't doubting you. I was trying to say exactamundo on your "stop importing" statement. I didn't mean i confirmed it today, but 8 months ago. :beer:

By the way, how many cruisers do you have? Geeze, seems like you got one of every model. I always said that if i get rich ( :slap:) i'm going to buy one cruiser of every fj model produced. :cheers:
[/quote]

i'de hate to pay your insurance bill every year!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom