Roof rack roller? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have looked through threads here and on a few manufacturers sites but have not found what I am looking for, namely a roof rack with a roller at the back to assist with shunting a boat on top. I have a couple of duck punts that weigh about 150-200lbs and it is awkward for me to load and unload these myself. I can do it but it involves a lot of effort, colourful language and the potential of damaging my rig unnecessarily. A roller that integrated with a rack would allow me to lift one end on the roller, rest it, and then grab the other end and push it up the rest of the way up. Anyone familiar with such a set up or have an innovative way of dealing with the same challenge?

If you are talking about this.... simple enough. I even have the rollers in stock from a cut table I plan on building.

J

ladder_rollers_pic1.jpg

Thanks - That looks like what I am talking about. One thing I am wondering though is whether you can lean the boat against the roller, one end on the ground the other on the roller, without contacting the cruiser? Looks like a very well built, quality feature. Is it permanently integrated with the rack or can it be removed?

If you are talking about this.... simple enough. I even have the rollers in stock from a cut table I plan on building.

J

ladder_rollers_pic1.jpg

Thanks - That looks like what I am talking about. One thing I am wondering though is whether you can lean the boat against the roller, one end on the ground the other on the roller, without contacting the cruiser? Looks like a very well built, quality feature. Is it permanently integrated with the rack or can it be removed?

Looks like the roller brackets are welded to the rack. That is a Tradesman rack I found with a quick search. It could be made to be removed when not in use. As far as contact, it would depend on the angle and length of the boat in regard to the rack and how much physical output you're willing to exert.

J

I have a set of racks for my car, which i think you're referring to.
Unfortunately, the rack needs to be quite far forward for the roller to clear the upper tailgate when it's open.

Sorry for the pitiful photo quality, i will try take some more tomorrow if i get a chance.

IMAG0550.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 10.39.31 pm.png

Thanks again for your input. My punt is about 16', pointed at both ends sp would not lend itself to that automated system @reevesci posted above. Leaning it against the tailgate is going to be necessary to lever it up to the rack. I have seen a few home made systems that extend beyond the gate and are removable but not sure they will be strong enough for my purposes. I will keep looking and share anything useful I may find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom