Roof rack build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

See the above load of schtuff plus my slim 220lbs = no problem. I don't have load specs, but my family of four could easily sleep up there. However, we sleep on the ground in a cabin tent.

It's been a few years since my ancestors moved out of the trees and down onto the ground...;)

Here's a link to the new mounts:
Rain Gutter Clamps Roof Rack Brackets
Not bad for $140.:)

Here are some pics of the mounts, as you can see they have ample adjustment.
View attachment 333908

View attachment 333909

View attachment 333910

I have those clamps and I have found that if you have them slightly outboard of the roof rack they will bend down. I had to reform mine after they bent so I moved them in tighter to the bottom of the rack and they have held up fine.

Nice job on the rack and hatch. :cheers:

Photos of my original mounting when they bent. I have since moved them inboard with no more problems. Originally purchased as ConFer before they went south.
DSC_0003 copy.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg

Last edited:
I have those clamps and I have found that if you have them slightly outboard of the roof rack they will bend down. I had to reform mine after they bent so I moved them in tighter to the bottom of the rack and they have held up fine.

Nice job on the rack and hatch. :cheers:

Photos of my original mounting when they bent. I have since moved them inboard with no more problems. Originally purchased as ConFer before they went south.
'

Howdy
I bought a custom rack that is wide like the original rack ( 42 inch) and I am wonder if this clamp are enough longer ( the top to the clamp) to use for this rack and how much weight this clamp can hold :hmm: :confused: ?
Note: just the rack is around to 80 + pounds!

Thanks

:cheers:

I built my rack 48" inside dimension, 50" outside. 42" seems a bit small for these clamps, to me, to hold the weight. I might think about adding some support to the bottom of the rack and then attach the clamps to the rack supports. Not knowing what your rack is like it is a bit hard to postulate the strength of the clamps but from my experience 42" is going to cause problems without adding some support underneath. JMTC...

I built my rack 48" inside dimension, 50" outside. 42" seems a bit small for these clamps, to me, to hold the weight. I might think about adding some support to the bottom of the rack and then attach the clamps to the rack supports. Not knowing what your rack is like it is a bit hard to postulate the strength of the clamps but from my experience 42" is going to cause problems without adding some support underneath. JMTC...

Howdy

The rack that I have is heavy duty build and I never seen a rack strong build like this.
That I was worry to if the clamps are enough longer to support the rack and not to started to bend when is 200 pounds load. I can use the Crossmember in the end, price and heavy, but maybe this is the only solution in the end.
Thanks
rack1.jpg

At that width I would add cross bars to the gutter mounts. And $140 each is WAY to much to spend on those clamps. When I bought mine, they were $40.00 each, not $140.00 each. You could get the Thule or Yacama for a ton less money. Just a thought.

At that width I would add cross bars to the gutter mounts. And $140 each is WAY to much to spend on those clamps. When I bought mine, they were $40.00 each, not $140.00 each. You could get the Thule or Yacama for a ton less money. Just a thought.

It's $140 for SIX... about $24 each

^How are these clamps holding up for you?
I'm debating between the clamps you're using or spending $40ish more for 6 of these.

FYI: My rack is this Garvin scavenged from my old TJ before I sold it.
Size is 54x72x4 if I remember correctly.

Any suggestions on the clamps?
Also, any suggestion on reinforcing this thing? I think I'm going to put some kind of mesh floor in it and I'd like it to be pretty sturdy. I'd like to be able to sit up on top if I need to. I can take some better pics if I need to.

Last edited:
On an 80 series, a 54" rack is wider than the roof cap. If you drive in tight quarters, the rack may become the widest point of the truck in off-camber situations....

We sell Groucho's clamps with our DiamondRax roof racks and they are a great piece of metal work. The clamps are somewhat adjustable for height. IIRC, at the lowest it is 4.25" from the rain gutter to where is mates to the rack, at the highest, just under 6." BTW, Groucho now offers these in a bare metal option to save some $$ and you can just paint them yourself.

Mark A. (Mark's Off-Road) has very similar clamps that you can buy. The only option you have with these is bare metal.....

FZJDoc: What part are you looking to reinforce....clamps, rack or floor? Beware of using expanded metal for the flooring.....it can act like a cheese grater on things that are stored on top of it, especially on long, bumpy trips. Personally, I think a nicely cut and painted piece of 1/2 plywood is still the best flooring for a roof rack......my 2 cents.....

Last edited:
'

Howdy
I bought a custom rack that is wide like the original rack ( 42 inch) and I am wonder if this clamp are enough longer ( the top to the clamp) to use for this rack and how much weight this clamp can hold :hmm: :confused: ?
Note: just the rack is around to 80 + pounds!

Thanks

42" wide is NOT wide enough to use the rain gutter clamps without also using other crossbars that would span the width of the truck and that the roof rack would attach to.

On my FJ40, I've stood in my roof rack (I weigh 215 before dinner) and had no fear of the clamps failing (I run 3 of Groucho's on each side). I'd be very comfortable with even more weight up there......

I'm surprised your rack is so heavy....does it already have a floor installed in it? Our 60" wide by 66" long by 6" deep all steel racks are only 60 pounds.....just sayin'...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom