Roller bearing retrofit on older spindle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmmm, OK then.
To save you the trouble, a 79 and 105srs uses.....
Bearing Needle 90364 - 33011 .. and
Bush Solid ..... 90381 - 35001
The OD of the bearing and part of the bush that goes inside the spindle is 40mm and the OD of the thrust face of the bush is 55mm. The bearing is 17mm wide and the bush has 5mm pressed into the spindle and the thrust surface is 3mm thick, making the bush total 8mm thick. I hope all this makes sence - if you can picture the parts,..... it should.
The ID of the bush is 35.5mm.
I measured a new 79srs/105srs C.V but my notes got wet, but Im pretty sure the area where the bearing runs is 33.5mm OD.
When I measured all this, I was in a hurry and thinking of something else, so hopefully it is all correct.
And I hope it helps some 80srs owners.

Regards

Matt

ps - Please let us know what you find and what you end up doing.

Last edited:
Personally, instead of going through all of this trouble trying to source a needle bearings spindle bushing, when all is said and done, it's probably just the easiest to call Dan and get two new spindles....

As Dan has said in the past, why take a shower and get clean just to go and put the same old socks back on afterwards?

;)

-o-

Personally, instead of going through all of this trouble trying to source a needle bearings spindle bushing, when all is said and done, it's probably just the easiest to call Dan and get two new spindles....
you are probably right...there is a possibility however (perhaps a long shot) that runs along the line of: you can replace the bushing in your existing US spindle with the roller bearing and smaller bushing available separately now in Australia and New Zealand (and elsewhere?)... and it might be significantly cheaper that a new complete assy ;). Anyway... just a thought for now. As soon as I can get a dial caliper on my bearing and small bushing set I will compare it with Matt's #'s.. if they are the same dimensions then perhaps that's what I have...now if the birf shaft from a 105 is the same as our '80's (and I understand the front axle on a 105 is the same as an 80) then the ID is ok...left to check is the OD

(of course all of this is primarily curiosity right now .. for all I know the solid bush is better than the roller bearings ...... or not?!?! But I'd like to try it out)

Or just press new bushings in, if properly maintained their good for what 200K+ mi?:confused:

From a reliability stand point I’m not sold on needle bearings in this application. The worst case failure scenario on the bushings is running them dry and they become loose, causing a noise? They are well proven over what, 50 years or so? The repair part needed is a new bushing and seals, it can be installed when you get time, i.e. it will get you home with 4 wheel drive functioning.

The failure scenario for needle bearings isn’t as nice, if one fails it will take out the birf shaft, possibly locking up the wheel. The repair list is at least a birf and needle bearing, that is not available as a maintenance part from Toyota, so new spindle assembly and seals.

Maybe I’m just paranoid from the lockups, spindle and housing destruction from failed needle bearings that I see in the tools I work on. Needle bearings are great for high load, high speed, and/or high precision, this application is none of those, so a simple bushing is perfectly adequate.

what's the smart shopper price on a new spindle with bushing?

I had to put new bushings in my 40 when I did a disk swap using 60 fronts. When you get them you will need to drive them in and it is easy to do if you cool the bushing and then tap it with a bearing driver. You will then need to use a small cylinder hone to hone the bushing out to fit the brif in. It should slide in and not take too much force, and it should turn relitively freely.

I called Marlin to buy these he said really unless you are going to buy something else it is cheaper to just buy it at the dealership, because of shipping.

Matthew

Well the $33 is lot better than $100 plus.... and apparently the new spindle (resplendent with roller/needle bearings) is about $500 (Cdn) a pop.....

I admit that I have no idea if the bushings are better or worse in this application .... I am going a little on faith that the "new" spindle uses them and newer is better - or at least an improvement (like the latest variant of the headgasket??)
Best to all

I admit that I have no idea if the bushings are better or worse in this application .... I am going a little on faith that the "new" spindle uses them and newer is better - or at least an improvement (like the latest variant of the headgasket??)
Best to all

The updated head gasket is to fix a known weakness, what weakness does the spindle bushing have? How bad are your bushings?

bushing prices from my local Toyota Dealer...

So I guess they are different:

$44.07 for 91 90381-33002
$53.63 for 92-97 90381-33001

Matthew

There should be no slop in bushing to birf contact.

Matthew

The pieces I have are..
"Japan KOYO BTM 344017A" in a bag with a Toyota sticker with "quantity 1" on it .. this is the needle bearing cage ..1.68" OD .665 depth (eg wide) and appears the same ID as the bushing ID dimension (below)

and the short bronze bushing in a small bubble pack with a Toyota sticker on it and the numbers 4128; .320" depth, 2.17 major diameter (OD) and 1.68 minor OD and 1.4 ID

I am measuring them through the baggy's and trying to round that error out (I know... piss poor approach!)

Matt ... it looks like I got the parts you have measured out if you factor my bad measuring technique ... which means??...

I don't know what that means......

BUT I plan to find out if these bits will fit the old style spindle... I guess if the inside diameter matches the birf diameter on the 80 and the outside diameter = the 80 bushing etc etc ...
more fun!

When I asked about the parts I asked about dimensions too, they weren't able to see the them from the catalog so I am not sure. Sorry couldn't be more help.

My thought is you could do it, I just don't think its worth the risk, of unknown compatibility. The bushings last long enough to get you to the next time you need to service the knuckles at which point you can check to see if they need to be replaced...which I would guess they will not.

Matthew

Howdy.
Can some one with some MUD computer skills somehow link this thread to ..."A Technical One" ? - for the benifit of people searching, in the future.
Thats just beyond me at the moment
Then we just need someone with an 80 with a needle bearing spindle to measure/confirm the width of that bearing.
Thanks again to all who contributed - especially Photoman and Landtank.
Sorry I cant be more help, but its been years since Ive had an 80 at work. - just hoping to help some MUD members out.

Cheers

Matt

Last edited:
wondering if this was ever resolved....looking for the cost (ballpark) of the parts too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom