Roll cage to chassis ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All ih8mudder's , just bought a "new" land cruiser 1978 and has a pile of junk called "roll cage" I am going to build a new one , but i havent seen any ideas on how to secure de cage to the chassis with out making a hole to the body and just passing the pipe and welding it to the chassis , if I make "sandwich" type mountings this will elimiate the function of the body mounts , how bad is this? , any pictures ideas , anything will help , thank you.
some pictures of the new family member.
IMG00169-20100413-1301.jpg

IMG00160-20100410-0932[1].jpg

IMG00168-20100413-1301.jpg
:flipoff2:
IMG00169-20100413-1301.jpg
IMG00160-20100410-0932[1].jpg
IMG00168-20100413-1301.jpg

Put some rubber blocks in between your sandwich

Thanks for your answers , those are the ones I talk about , this set up will change anything the road "smoothness"? or it will damage the body because of vibrations? I allready think about the rubber in the sandwich but has somebody else has done it?
Thanks.

Using plates top and bottom like above is the most common way of doing it. One tip though, do not use the same size plates top and bottom. After a while, chassis flex will cause the sheetmetal to crack at the edge of the plates if they are the same size. Rounding the corners of the plates helps also.

Thank you all for taking your time and comment , the info is very helpfull!

Used poly bushes to lessen the hard mount vibrations
How about some more pics of your entire cage set up, and your baby!!!

nice fj80 front set up...
nice ride.... dig the safety yellow

Definitely check out Cirbo's build thread. IMHO it is the best build thread on the entire site. You'll not only get inspiration for your cage tie-ins, but you will get inspiration for all other aspects of your cruiser too.

Hey Dude,
I looked all over for a pic of how we did mine but couldn't find it so I'm going to have to try to explain. :eek: A pic sure would have been nice.

We built a Metaltech cage for my 40 and a frame tie in kit too. Its the standard sandwich-the-floorboard type mounting with a tube that comes down off the underside of the floorboard and ties to the frame.

I have some rust in that area and thought that the rigid frame mount tied directly to my flimsy floorboards would take its toll because there would be no flex, so what I did... good luck here..

I mounted the underside floor plate about a quarter inch below the actual tub. Then where the bolts for the top and bottom plates go through the floorboard I drilled about 1" holes in the tub. Four in all on each side. Then I put about 3/4" tall cylindrical spacers which are sleeved around the bolts that go between the top and bottom sandwich plates. That is, tubing spacers that the bolts go through. With that, the top sandwich plate "floats" above the floorboard about 1/4" inch. So now I have the cage mounted directly to the frame, with the top and bottom sandwich plate floating above and below the floorboard with no contact at all.

I was concerned that I wouldn't leave enough clearance around the bolt spacers, or top and bottom plates, and I'd end up with some horrendous rattle or squeak, but there's not a sound. So the only drawback I see to doing it this way is punching some pretty good size holes in the floorboard, but I figured the MT cage was going to be a permanent fixture on this Cruiser anyway, so what the F. So far with a bunch of trips on this setup it has worked out nicely.

I sure wish I had a photo for you, and hope this makes at least a little bit of sense.

B.

OK, I'm a dork and it was bugging the heck out of me that I didn't have a pic, so I made one. Lets give this a try...

Black is the roll bar tube and floor plates.
Red is the Floorboard/tub
Yellow is the Nuts and Bolts holding the two floor plates together
Blue is the tubing/spacer that holds the two plates apart.

Goofy pic I know but maybe it makes a little sense now :D
B.
floor1.jpg

Hey Dude,
I looked all over for a pic of how we did mine but couldn't find it so I'm going to have to try to explain. :eek: A pic sure would have been nice.

We built a Metaltech cage for my 40 and a frame tie in kit too. Its the standard sandwich-the-floorboard type mounting with a tube that comes down off the underside of the floorboard and ties to the frame.

I have some rust in that area and thought that the rigid frame mount tied directly to my flimsy floorboards would take its toll because there would be no flex, so what I did... good luck here..

I mounted the underside floor plate about a quarter inch below the actual tub. Then where the bolts for the top and bottom plates go through the floorboard I drilled about 1" holes in the tub. Four in all on each side. Then I put about 3/4" tall cylindrical spacers which are sleeved around the bolts that go between the top and bottom sandwich plates. That is, tubing spacers that the bolts go through. With that, the top sandwich plate "floats" above the floorboard about 1/4" inch. So now I have the cage mounted directly to the frame, with the top and bottom sandwich plate floating above and below the floorboard with no contact at all.

I was concerned that I wouldn't leave enough clearance around the bolt spacers, or top and bottom plates, and I'd end up with some horrendous rattle or squeak, but there's not a sound. So the only drawback I see to doing it this way is punching some pretty good size holes in the floorboard, but I figured the MT cage was going to be a permanent fixture on this Cruiser anyway, so what the F. So far with a bunch of trips on this setup it has worked out nicely.

I sure wish I had a photo for you, and hope this makes at least a little bit of sense.

B.

Brian, Your description made perfect sense to me, and when I saw your illustration... Yup, just like I pictured it! I like your solution, I'll keep it in mind when I'm ready to build my cage, hopefully this summer.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom