69 fj40 arizona complete rebuild/restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HELLO ALL; IM JAMES:)
I got this cruiser back when i was 17 in highschool/collision repair program in college 2001... At the time i did not know what i was getting into... This cruiser or as we called it the (BEAST) was a rust bucket and pretty beat up... I ended up tearing the whole thing apart and replacing/modifying most of the body! like 60 percent of it lol... Shortly after i finished up the collision rep. program my family and the beast decided to move to AZ... This is where it sat till 2010 needless to say i eventually moved to AZ aswell and now im working on the beast full time... Now im 26 and this is my first full restoration but it is exciting with the progress ive been making and to see it finally comming back together again!

I know there are alot of MODS i would like to do now as it sits but money is a issue as im sure you all can imagine... So im thinking that ill just rebuild/touch up all the main parts i need and get it going for now and with time as i use/drive/crawl the beast ill eventually get it where i would like it to be!

IH8MUD seems to be a invaluable place for info/advice/help/mod's ect... and im excited to get involved!:cheers:

The computer im on will not load my current part list ill have to add it another time...

When i picked up this 40 it had a GM(Chevy)292 engine with the original 3 spd... At first i wanted to swap out the tranny for the SM420 but i really dont have the bucks yet so i guess ill just ride this set up to the ground or till i can afford to mod... I just rebuilt the 292 and to my suprize its been bore out one size up:) cleaned it all up got a new oil pump, honed out the cylinders, had the head machined and redone with new valves and springs then put back together with all new gaskets... I imagine with the torque this engine produces ill be good for some time... Maybe in years to come throw in a small block 350 lol im getting ahead of myself.....;)
anyways its all totally rust free and fresh now and all ready to get put back together but deff gonna need alot of parts and sum........ps i woulda put up more pix but this limited me to 3 once again stoked to help and be helped lol
beast.jpg
Picture 057.jpg
Picture 190.jpg

PARTS IM SOON GOING TO NEED!!! Im trying to keep everything within my budget so tips or contacts for parts would be appreciated!
BODY MOUNT KIT / COMPLETE WIRING KIT / WHAT KIND AND WHERE IS A GOOD DUAL MASTER CYLINDER / FULL CHASSY,DOOR,FIREWALL RUBBER KIT / PREFERED COLLAPSIBLE, TILT, POWERSTEERING COLUMN OR CONVERSION?
This would be enough to keep me going for a while... I will be doin alot of research myself on all but tips on best or good jobs would be more than appriciated! Just wanna insure im doing it all right the first time if you feel what im saying=] thank you all for your help!

Looking good! Keep it up!

You should look into either Toyota mini-truck (hilux or those in the early 80s before they went IFS in 86) or an fj60 power steering conversion. Both are pretty cheap options if you find the parts used and either buy the bill dorry style brackets (OrangeFJ45 sells them) or fab your own. HTH.:cheers:

im on a pretty tight budget

LOL! Tell me about it! That is the story of my build!:bang: At least you've got nice shoes for yours! I'm still working on that part!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom