roll cage build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
alright...so i have been thinking about what i wanted to do for a roll cage for my bush truck and im kind of not sure how to build it...this is my first cage and it will be a trail truck, drive it to the trails and home and thats about it on the road. i want to make sure im safe in a roll and gunna walk away. i have about 180' of tube which should be about double what i need for the cage but there are some other things on the truck that i would like to do with the remainder...so here are some ideas or what i was kind of thinking. yes i have searched and yes i have looked at the cages on the home page, have also surfed the net looking at cages. just wanted to get opinions on the design

SCAN0001.jpg

ill be building it out of 1.75 x .120 wall DOM and welding it up with a MM251...

and for the eng types looking at the math on the side of the page...yes i know its wrong, wanted to check something but decided that it would be more work to build then it was worth...

Last edited:
Why put so many X braces on there? It looks like a fence.

on the top? back? B hoop, i have them in a few spots, want to narrow it down a bit? i dont kno....like i said this is my first cage, i have looked around, everything i keep hearing is use triangles bla bla bla looked at a few sites, some for Baja trucks or race cars and all that, this is what i came up with...kind of just looking for some pointers for a strong, safe cage that i can feel comfortable taking my truck to its limits in

Ben, i came across that site while i was reading up, a very good and helpful page. thanks for posting it, now i have a link to it in this thread...dont have to go looking for it on the net again :)

Is the design you have for the rear cargo area or is it for the front ? I agree with Mace . It looks kinda like a fence . Maybe you could draw a picture of it on a 40 .

r...so here are some ideas or what i was kind of thinking. yes i have searched and yes i have looked at the cages on the home page, have also surfed the net looking at cages. just wanted to get opinions on the design

ill be building it out of 1.75 x .120 wall DOM and welding it up with a MM251...

Shoot, I'll throw in my worthless 2c. I say go with the A-pillar with the dash bar as is minus the dog leg. On the B-pillar lose all the extra braces and such. To be more specific, you have a drawing of the B with an OR option. Just to the left of the OR option in your sketch. Go with that. Just one big X in there. Or if you are looking for 5-point harnesses you may want to add in a horizontal for an attachment point.

The over head looks fine as you have it drawn. If it were me though I'd pass on the 45 deg downlegs running to the rear of your tub. I'd extend the horizontal side bars in your overhead all the way to the rear and do a 90 deg bend down to your attachment point. Probably a horizontal at the bend point to join both driver and passenger sides.

That should give you about the simplest complete coverage cage setup that should survive just about anything you're likely to throw at it.

Of course if you planning on do end-ohs down a mountain or nascar style (and speed) flips down the highway you might want to reconsider. MOST wheelers rarely have seriously violent multiple roll-overs. MOST experience the occasional flop, or single roll-over, and considering that MOST wheeling is done at walking speeds, you can design with that in mind.

tgreening: hey man that is EXACTLY the type of feed back i was looking to get! appreciate it, maybe it was a bit overkill what i was thinking...lol

nice...i kinda like the back end of that think what i might do is do weld up the front of mine (around the passanger area) and then do my C hoop when i decide what i want....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom