rocker assembly questions - 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.whiteriverlawncare.com
after much reading, I've given in to ask the question... looking for compatibility info of a rocker arm assembly for 2F engines.

Question:
Can a later model 2F rocker assembly be used on an earlier 2F engine? example: an 85 rocker assembly to a '76 2F head?

my concern would be - do the rocker arm ratios change between the years and change the timing? and are the pedestals different?

thanks for you replies.

Yes, they are different. The later slots for oiling is one thing I can remember off-hand. The pedestals are different. I've been curious about the same thing. The valve components are the same, aside from the stem seals. Are they, and the pushrods in the same place? Answering your question will help me with my mini-warehouse mega project.

Yes, they can be interchanged. No difference in rocker ratio. The only catch is the pushrods change, because the adjuster "ball" gets smaller and the pushrods cup gets smaller in 198x?.

Pic shows 1976 rocker & pushrod and early 80s parts.
16040267091534463325861813360468.jpg

thank you Jim. exactly what i needed. do you sell parts? I'm needing to buy a complete rocker assembly late 2F if you have one available. I've got replace the one that is temporarily "loaned" to me until I can find the guy a replacement.

what is a solution for replacing worn rocker arm and bushings and shaft? anything available aftermarket? haven't had any luck finding new.

J

The later rocker arms (on the right in pic) are cast steel, without a bronze bushing. They are lighter, stronger, quieter. Best of all, they finally got the metallurgy right, so even without a bushing inside, they don't seem to wear.

Get a used later model rocker assembly and pushrods, install on early 2F, enjoy the quieter & more accurate valve train.

I don't have a good one for sale ATM, but post in the classifieds. Somebody's gonna have the all steel rockers & pushrods in a late 2F with cracked head.

I have a rocker shaft that was installed without respect for the shaft dimples that time the shaft's oiler holes on the rocker arms to the studs on the head. I'm thinking that it ended up becoming an FJ60 2FE project, and I was the parts recipient.

Something to look out for, both in purchase as well as installation.

after much reading, I've given in to ask the question... looking for compatibility info of a rocker arm assembly for 2F engines.

Question:
Can a later model 2F rocker assembly be used on an earlier 2F engine? example: an 85 rocker assembly to a '76 2F head?

my concern would be - do the rocker arm ratios change between the years and change the timing? and are the pedestals different?

thanks for you replies.
Hi Jeff, did you end up installing the later model rocker arm assembly? I am at the point of doing the same and need some guidance.

Hi Jeff, did you end up installing the later model rocker arm assembly? I am at the point of doing the same and need some guidance.
not yet. engine builder jacked up the whole thing. engine started eating itself so it’s all back apart again. i do think it works fine though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom