Rock rails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I studied some different designs, and decided to fab up some pinch weld supported rock rails. The angled 90 degree is 14 gauge 1.25 inch, the support arms are 1.25 inch 14 gauge square HREW tubing, and the main rail is 1.5” 14 gauge round HREW. Obviously all mild steel. For what I do, the pinch weld is enough. It is bolted to it with 6, M8x1.25 bolts:

1A5F4A20-F709-4377-96D8-241E3C1531BE.jpeg

AF7DB40F-3215-481F-9036-D6C17F2D4488.jpeg

C097F501-4997-4815-B026-5D9199F43CC3.jpeg

C55F6753-3DD6-4461-8BDC-CB9FDBAA25B0.jpeg

Last edited:
I still need to touch them up with more Raptor liner 👍🏼

Why not just bolt to the frame like everyone else does? I feel like the pinch weld mounts don't look very sturdy...

Nope nope nope. What you have there is just a fancy sidestep. The pinch is SO WEAK when I put my jack stand on it, it'll bend a little.

This has been discussed extensively. For what I do, it is enough. I will take a pic with the entire side of the vehicle jacked up on the rail. I get the frame mounting argument though. Will also take a pic of me standing on them with no issues what so ever. I’ve already jumped on them.

Fascinating. I hadn't been aware of this. I'd love to see some testing. Most folks probably don't need full on sliders, but you don't know that until it's too late.

I'm intrigued. The risk/savings ratio isn't worth it in my mind (one bit of damage on a rocker or door will cost way more than $1000 to fix correctly), but this would be better than nothing for sure!

What concerns me on this design is the torque that that arm would see. In the LCP design it looks like it's just right under the pinch weld. This design looks to be more of a cantilever?

not everyone NEEDS sliders. this is the similar in concept that land cruiser Phil had for his 80 (80 Series Rock Rails by LandCruiserPhil). I believe he also did a run for the 100 some time ago. if it works for the OP, that's cool. I for one would have bought Phil's rock rails if they were available but since he no longer makes them, I ended up buying some sliders. I don't foresee having to use them but it's nice to know they are there.

Nothing wrong with mounting to a pinch weld for light duty use, better than nothing at all I suppose. I've jacked up many vehicles from the pinch weld with no issues. Looks good to me

Phil’s design has the tube welded right to the 90 degree steel that is bolted to the pinch weld. My design has a little more cantilever, yes. I had welded to the frame sliders on my 80. Pinch weld mounting is definitely higher clearance.

I've had @LandCruiserPhil rock rails/stealth sliders on my 80 and my previous 100. They are a great product. I never hit them on anything, and I do wheel my trucks. Nothing crazy in the 100, but they provided piece of mind. That truck went to HIH twice without any concerns from me. I've been pondering full sliders for my current 100, but keep thinking about going with the stealth sliders again for the weight savings.

My only concern with these is the leverage.

I will get a high lift out, and objectively show what happens, good or bad.

But I can stand and jump on them with no issues. They are welded up decent too, not that it changes the leveraging.

And for the record, I never said they were better than frame mounted (welded or bolted) sliders 👍🏼

Last edited:
I will get a high lift out, and objectively show what happens, good or bad.

But I can stand and jump on them with no issues. They are welded up decent too, not that it changes the leveraging.

And for the record, I never said they were better than frame mounted (welded or bolted) sliders 👍🏼

That's a good starting point, but the left side of your rig weighs about 10-20 times what you do so I'm dying in anticipation of a YouTube video showing how much you can unload the suspension before you start crinkling metal. :oops:

*edit to clarify, not meant in a discouraging way. Just very excited to see how much that design can take - hopefully not at the expense of your rockers.

I get it man. No disrespect taken. I’m an objective guy, and want to see what it can handle. I’ll report back, but it may not be until next week.

What about dom tubing with a slit down the middle, then fitted over pinch weld lip, tacked or welded along the entire run of dom where it meats lc body? dom tubing capped at either end.

I like the DOM tubing idea, but wouldn’t the rockers still be somewhat vulnerable? I cut the rockers out of my 80, but it was a crusty beast. That took a hell of a lot of sawzall and angle grinder work. It, and a 1” body lift, made for easy, straight off the frame, weld on sliders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom