ROAM Camper Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now it's looking like those wonderful renderings! It's definitely come a long way and it's looking good. The crank for the tongue jack, is it going to have an opening in the nose box for the crank to stick out? Or are there other plans on how to handle that?

Now it's looking like those wonderful renderings! It's definitely come a long way and it's looking good. The crank for the tongue jack, is it going to have an opening in the nose box for the crank to stick out? Or are there other plans on how to handle that?

Thanks!

Yep..the plan is to cut off the handle and replace (weld) on some sort of fittting to accomodate a crank handle, or the same one as far as that goes. I actually have an old Dewalt rechargable drill I could use, then retrofit all three jacks with the same fitting, but I think the handle would be more reliable.

UPDATE: Welded a 1/2" deep well socket on tonight, fit perfect with the 3/8''s drive end sticking out...this will be a SSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
fjack2.jpg

Last edited:
WOW, I take a few days off and you keep on rollin, Looking great!

lol..that'll teach ya' to be slackin' off!

thanks!

keep it up, but seems a bit overbuilt when it comes to the woodwork. i'm thinking dimentions, but i dont know what you'll be doing inside and outside to add strength.

I wish I could stop myself...it's my life story...

If I could work at a more minimalistic level...I could do so much more..oh well

Anyways, while we're on the subject of overbuilding, the outside will get covered in 1/2" CDX , glued and screwed of course..with a layer of FRP panel contact cemented on that. There will be a set of double doors on the back

The inside will be be insulated with a layer of 1-1/2" blue foam, them some oak wainscoating over it and some light trimming..maybe some curtains and a wine rack?...nothing anal about that is there?:cheers:

Got the back doors framed in tonight and some brackets welded at the bottom so I can carraige bolt them
frame14.jpg
frame13.jpg

Sunday night is, well..Update Time!!
Koffer called it...hot as hell all day, couldn't keep enough water in ya'...

Anywho, got the sheeting and blocking all glued and screwed. I decided about 3 this afternoon that I seriously need professional help...in the head that is...

Any kook that would design those angles and purposely subject themselves to that kind of aggrevation on a 90 plus degree day should be on medication and commited...

Tomorrow night I have to plug and sand the roof plywood and hopefully get the rubber glued down. Looking forward to getting it water tight. The FRP is here and under the porch, so that'll be after the roof goes down.
frame16.jpg
frame17.jpg
frame18.jpg

A few more outside...

I suppose at some point I should drag out a real camera...but I think everyone gets the idea
frame19.jpg
frame20.jpg
frame21.jpg

Damn Pat ,I was worried about my trailer getting too heavy :eek:
Your going to need a Kenworth to pull that ;p

Looking good so far
What do you think it will weigh in at when finished ?

Damn Pat ,I was worried about my trailer getting too heavy :eek:
Your going to need a Kenworth to pull that ;p

Looking good so far
What do you think it will weigh in at when finished ?

I'm hoping to come in around 1800# + or -

I'm going to drag it down to the scales at the dump this week (gotta wire in the tail lights, no biggie though) and pray I'm under a 1000 #. If I'm already over than I'm screwed, and will have to get it finished 100%, drag it up to Highland,NY for an official State inspection for trailers over a 1000#. That's ok though, because I have the brake axle, runaway strap and all legal lighting required, it's just a pain in the ass to go there.

:pYou gonna fit in there?

No......

But you would....

in little pieces.........................................................:flipoff2:

Got a little mid week progress going...things are beserk at work, so just trying to fit some small things in.

In anticipation of going down to get it weighed...i hooked up the lights tonight. I ran the 7 wire harness into a junction box at the rear of the trailer...what a dream!! I got the all lights, 7 wire, brake controller, and a whole bunch of other goodies from Paul over at R and P Carriages Trailer Sales over at Ebay...big thanks and a shameless plug for Paul and Robin..their great prices...and super fast shipping :cheers:

I used the Bargman combo stop, tail, and backup...I think they really pick up the look of the 4Runner tail lights...and holy friggin cow are they BRIGHT!!

I'll try to get a pic of the juction box in the daylight.....only way to go.

p.s. Stopped at the metal fabricators (Bite me John over at Lasertech) and they had the gall to be on vacation..they obviously don't realize this is the only thing that matters in the world...so now I'll have to wait until next week to get the diamond plate cut and bent
tail8.jpg
tail9.jpg
tail10.jpg

Last edited:
So, color me blonde cuz I'm just looking at the pix right now (as All Mudders do on first glance!), but will you really have to crawl into the nose of the thing to lift the jack?

Wait, I think I remember a hatch coming..... ??

great work, also concerned about the weight, and aptitude of so many joints to wiggle loose over time. the ply overlay addresses that, but still makes me nervous for you.

knowing yr previous build, I'm confident you'll teach us some new tricks during this one. :cheers:

So, color me blonde cuz I'm just looking at the pix right now (as All Mudders do on first glance!), but will you really have to crawl into the nose of the thing to lift the jack?

Wait, I think I remember a hatch coming..... ??

great work, also concerned about the weight, and aptitude of so many joints to wiggle loose over time. the ply overlay addresses that, but still makes me nervous for you.

knowing yr previous build, I'm confident you'll teach us some new tricks during this one. :cheers:

Check out post #62...you'll see I welded a socket on with the 3/8's drive end sticking out, that allows several options in which to raise or lower the nose gear.

See pic

As far as the weight..the roof has to be able to support 600-700 lbs. of people, tent and rack, so if i'ts a bit overbuilt, I'll be able to rest in comfort knowing I won't end up on the ground from 7.5 feet up :p As far as lateral and sheer forces...I'm no engineer, but the construction adresses any forces that may negitively impact the rigidity. The back door is the weakpoint, it has 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle welded to floor and carraige bolted thru the bottom of the uprights...and a foot further up from that the framing is anchored to the taillight brackets that are welded to 1/8" metal deck.

Sure, I could have used maybe 2 x 2 's and 3/8"s plywood, and maybe it would've been ok....but for the extra 100-150 lbs in material, I say have a ball and enjoy some peace of mind.
fjack3.jpg

Well...

Went to the transfer station....

I won't say good or bad, but the closest guess by Sunday night at 8Pm (EST) wins a 10$ iTunes card.

It was nice to get it out and rolling, never even knew the behemoth was back there.

good luck!
frame23.jpg
frame24.jpg
frame25.jpg

okay, I'll go big, since JoeE swooped my first thought: 2k

Lookin good. 1300 lbs is my guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom