ROAM Camper Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is really cool. No guess, but did you calculate tongue weight in placing the spare tire in front of the rear axel?

Well first off I'd like to thank everyone for the compliments and for playing along.....

and we have a winner!! 77TLCFJ40!!!

TLC Norway..you were within 10 lbs. but came in too late, the cut off was 8 pm EST.....but one hell of a guess!! The tongue weight right now is around 100-120, but tomorrow I'll drag the scale out and check it. I think the back bumper really helped to off set the front metal.

The total weight was 1460...and I was totally blown away...i thought for sure it would be less than a 1000. After going to the scales I towed it all over town, and really never even felt it back there. It rolled so nice, I was beyond pleased. It will be nice to get the brakes hooked up, especially after adding everything else.

Here's the rundown:

22-2 x 4's 220
2 - 2 x 12's 30
5 - 4' x 8' x 1/2" plywood 250
Misc metal/ hardware 200
Trailer 760

Total 1460

Here's the remainder...

Doors/Hinges 75
Water tank (filled) 160
Batteries 160
Floor/framing 100
RTT /roofrack 170
Awnings 80
Misc. 100
Spare 75
Gear (kitchen/Engel/etc.) 350

Total 1270

Grand total 2740 lbs...lol.....

not even close to the origianl estimate :doh:

Ehh..whats a thousand pounds between friends? :beer:

Okay Mr. 77TLCFJ40..please pm me so we can get your prize off to you!!! :cheers:

P.S. THanks Ken..yea I did..hopefully better than I estimated everything else....lol

TLC Norway..you were within 10 lbs. but came in too late, the cut off was 8 pm EST.....but one hell of a guess!!

alright, i had to rough calculate between my kilos and your lbs, thats why i was off 10!!! ;) Nevermind i dont need the price, i get the honor...:cheers:

With that total passing 2700# you should really plan on getting the tounge weight right. you can probably fit small heavy things in the rear, and big light in front. ;)

:beer: from me!

Thanks Pat. Happy to play along and watch your build. Great ideas you guys come up with.

Pat and I agreed to swap the iTunes card for some SketchUp help down the road. If I can ever get my 40 to a pause point, I will build a trailer. Maybe next year. Till then, I'll be lurking...

Well..between work trying to kill me, then the heat, and this stupid trailer...I need a vacation...FROM IT ALL!!

Ok..whine is over...

UPDATE TIME!!

Installed the rubber roofing..piece of cake. Got the outside plywood patched, and puttied. Started the FRP, contact cementing it on, and epoxying the corners and seams. Hatch cover and back doors are fabricated, hinges are cut, and all aluminum trim for the edges is here also. While I was at the yard I also picked up the metal for the rack to hold the RTT (1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/8" tube steel). I'm sending out the measurments in the morning for the diamond plate trim to be cut and bent...would love to get that on this weekend.

I ordered the ARB Simpson III tent and annex from our one and only
TRDparts4U.....and true to form, great pricing, and even better customer service...big kudos to Jacque for his help!!!:clap::cheers::beer: What a nice fellow to deal with! I look forward to continued business in the future.

So that's about it. I'm chomping at the bit to get it weather tight....then I can clean up around here and get some semblance of order again...sorta regroup. I literally have s*** laying everywhere...which is making me nuts on top of everything else....lol

The 2 Interstate 6V batteries (over 460 A/H's)are sitting here, the Iota 45 inverter is here with many of the electrical componets. The water tank, pump and fittings are also here and ready to go. I was supposed to have the whole week but it ain't in the stars......
siding1.jpg
siding2.jpg
siding3.jpg

And a few more...sorry..as usual I'm working right up till I run out of light, so pictures are kinda sucky.
siding4.jpg
siding5.jpg
siding6.jpg

Crappy pics, but it's finally coming together for you and looks great.

Stuff everywhere? Sounds like nearing the end of some of my projects;p

The FRP kind of ruins the Woody look. Maybe some clear over some veneer to spice it up?
Nah, looks like a cozy little cabin on wheels. Looking forward to the field tests.

If you wanted to stay closer to your weight estimate, you should have framed the structure with 15 gauge 1 inch square tubing. The weight to strength ratio is really good with this size of square tube. The sign shops use it for awnings and sign structures. It is my favorite size for building floors and structure on hot rods, my other hobby. The 15 gauge 1 inch square is 0.909 lbs/ft and the 16 gauge 1 inch square is 0.8271 lbs/ft. You could have saved some real weight and skinned it with sheet metal that could have been the finished product and weighed less than the 1/2" ply-wood. Other than the weight things look real good.

Looking good Pat.
Let us know how you like that Simpson III. Thinking of getting that one for my rig when it's ready.

Looking good Pat.
Let us know how you like that Simpson III. Thinking of getting that one for my rig when it's ready.

Thanks Joe_E...sure will. Your welcome to come see anytime.

It should be here late August, early September. I'm looking to put together a little late season fishing, camping trip up in the Catskills sometime after Labor day, so I'm anxious to button this thing up.

I worked on the rack today a bit that I've been cutting and welding last week...had to take it easy for a couple of days..no saws or standing for extended periods till Monday.
roofrack1.jpg

That little Hobart looks like the one in my garage. What model is it?

any updates?

Sorry guys...

Work is out of control right now, and won't let up until after Labor Day. I'm also working on a chuckbox project for a friend.

Mostly doing aluminum trim around the doors and edges...nothing too exciting. The other diamond plate to finish off the bottom 8" and the fenders is being bent...and should be ready from the fabricators tomorrow or Wends.

Once I get this little project done and in the mail...I'll get some more progress done. I have Friday off..so hopefully the friggin weather won't torential downpour like Sunday..what a mess!

Thanks for asking, be patient..and I promise the next update will be a real crowd pleaser!:beer:

Last edited:
Got my little side project done...and dabbled in some small stuff. I really need a good 3-4 days run at it. Lots of small details left before batteries, lighting, water tank and lines.

Worked on some aluminum trim on doors and preppeing for hanging. Got the rack, bumper, can holders, and taillight brackets painted, rack needs to be mounted (RTT is on route and should be here today)

Aluminum diamond plate is made..fits sweet...just need an addtional hand to help fit it around some of the corners.

Got the hatch cover fitted and hinged...what a huge PITA...but it needs a latch and the tent material secured around the opening and its done.

Sorry SARcruiser...ithe welder is my neighbors up the street..but I'll look to see which one it is...all I know is it SUUURRREE is handy!
roam1.jpg
roam3.jpg
roam2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, this turned out really great, even better than the plans!
:beer:

Wow, this turned out really great, even better than the plans!
:beer:

Thanks Mike!

You know how difficult all the small details are..endless and relentless...

I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize and maintain some patience, especially with the close of the season bearing down on us. I may wait to finish the inside paneling till' the spring..just get the systems functional and running.

Time Man...I need TIIIMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEE!!!:beer:

Nice project. One day I'd like to build an ultralite 20" tandem axle travel trailer.

what did you seal the seams/edges of the FRP with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom