Rivian R1S vs LC thoughts? (3 Viewers)

Would you trade in your Land Cruiser for a Rivian R1S/R1T?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, the model 3 is the perfect stablemate to any cruiser. Great way to offset the fuel/maintenance costs. Since it sounds like you may be a business owner, they're also a great tax cheat if you are able to write off your mileage. I'm approaching 4 years/80k miles in my 3 and no mechanical issues to date. Not to say it's the perfect car, but it's definitely still the best bang/$ daily commuter, despite many new options on the market. I'd also look into the mach-e just to check it out. Mine is an early 2019 and has some, shall we say, "refinement" issues, but anything 2021 or newer is a much nicer car. Tesla used market got hosed by the $5k price drop for new cars earlier in the year. Might get a good deal on a used one with some searching around.

Thanks!

Aside from early build quality (pre 2020-21), it seems solid, and very reliable over 5 years at least. Buying new, battery is warrantied for 8 years too.

This is perfect for what im looking for. A zero maintenance, low operating cost DD, that i can avoid getting sentimental or obsessive about, that will get me a completely unconcerned 6 years. Or 3 under lease (fully written off), and no need to do asset depreciation schedule. A lease does make sense as well since the product is highly iterative, and nothing like an LC lol. Getting out 3 years there will certainly be features i want.

Have you considered a hybrid? I’m a fan of the new ES300H. You get that Toyo/Lex build quality and reliability and just a nice, no nonsense car that is comfortable and averages near 40 mpg.

I have actually thought about this but since I care about performance and fun, given the lack of it in the LX, anything Lexus is pretty much out. Too sloppy, too conservative, and not what im looking for. They will be extremely dated as well, even brand new.

Considering performance (mainly straight line) I have a hard time coming up with anything remotely close around $50k.

Im kind of playing into all the EV strengths, and i have the 200 for everything else.

Nope.

I'll consider an electric as my main vehicle when:
- I can recharge from zero to 100% in the same time I can fill up right now
- I can recharge or otherwise replace charge using something the size of a jerry can (off-road)
- When the manufacturer of the vehicle has been in business, making production vehicles for at least ~15 years, and has a good reputation for quality and support

// edit: I do, very much like the idea of having an electric vehicle as a commuter (especially for my other half); downside here is that no independent mechanic will even touch a Tesla or the like, and I really hate the idea of being 100% tied to the dealership and being at their mercy for anything and everything. This alone may be enough of a deal breaker to not get one.
Have you seen the video of the dude who ran his Tesla to dead in the middle of nowhere and used a generator in his trunk with a gas can to charge his Tesla? Stupidly simple for long range travel in today’s world. Just a small Honda generator and a Tesla charger cord. I’d 100% put these things in my trailer for long distance/off-grid travel if I had a Rivian. Plus solar capabilities are improving by the day too. We’ll be to a point in five years I’d bet that we can do the kind of solo recharging, at least partially, that takes a lot of anxiety and complexity out of travel for people with EVs.

Seems Tesla has many recalls on some very basic issues together with known quality/reliability issues.

In my opinion;
I do not believe any company can just walk into a market and design and properly build vehicles like that. I am sure as a MSc Mech Eng I see things in a certain way, yet I do understand what it takes to design and build things reliable (= lot of effort and experience and discipline and money to develop and test each subsequent model).

Unless there are no other options (think Toyota, Lexus and Honda or for best driving experience the German brands like BMW), I would go with a wide circle around them. I guess that is one of the aspects which made me buy a Land Cruiser. Owning a Land Cruiser and a Tesla or worse a Rivian makes zero sense to me, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

P.S. Going around German cars with a wide circle would in fact be wise as well. So if a Tesla has your passion, that is the car for you!

Last edited:
In the mood to be an Askhole:

Im just 2-4 weeks out from ordering a model 3. I just dont see anything that can compete with it as a DD and an accessory to the LX.

i4 is just not it, and and im not going to go model s / eqs price range either. Not for a car i will just abuse almost daily i traffic over greater Houston.

Used prices make zero sense, which i truly don’t get. I might actually just lease it through my business.

Advice (validation) please? Lol
We got a Mach-e and love it. Not quite the range of the model 3 but looks a whole lot better in my eyes. And if you are using around town and have a level 2 charger at your house range really isn't an issue.

We test drove nearly every EV we could and ended on the mach-e. The audi etrons were really nice and who wouldn't want a Taycan but I'm not letting my kids destroy things that cost that much at their current ages.

Have you seen the video of the dude who ran his Tesla to dead in the middle of nowhere and used a generator in his trunk with a gas can to charge his Tesla? Stupidly simple for long range travel in today’s world. Just a small Honda generator and a Tesla charger cord. I’d 100% put these things in my trailer for long distance/off-grid travel if I had a Rivian. Plus solar capabilities are improving by the day too. We’ll be to a point in five years I’d bet that we can do the kind of solo recharging, at least partially, that takes a lot of anxiety and complexity out of travel for people with EVs.
Some say the guy and his 2000W Honda generator are still there to this day...

Seems Tesla has many recalls on some very basic issues together with known quality/reliability issues.

In my opinion;
I do not believe any company can just walk into a market and design and properly build vehicles like that. I am sure as a MSc Mech Eng I see things in a certain way, yet I do understand what it takes to design and build things reliable (= lot of effort and experience and discipline and money to develop and test each subsequent model).

Unless there are no other options (think Toyota, Lexus and Honda or for best driving experience the German brands like BMW), I would go with a wide circle around them. I guess that is one of the aspects which made me buy a Land Cruiser. Owning a Land Cruiser and a Tesla or worse a Rivian makes zero sense to me, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I think this is def true for Rivian, and I give Tesla somewhat of a pass here. I used to hate the brand, and still hate its CEO… They are however continually improving and ramping production faster than anyone thought they could, with a lot of it outside of China. Before you judge also remember 200s were made in China as well to meet volume.

I personally have tons of quality issues in my $100k LX too, so although that is rare i guess since im a special boy, the image is tainted as it is for me. I just no longer believe ANY vehicle is made with care. And I know im alone here in that regard but i also came from what felt like a much more solid 14 year old 470.

I was replacing my third row recently and a piece of the plastic slotted vent trim popped out and will not go back in right because its a cheap s***ty piece of s*** plastic tab pop in junk just like every other vehicle on the road. MUD can get mad about it, disagree with me or not its the truth. No japanese craftsman dedicated his life and honor to designing and building it. Its a cheap piece of plastic s***. Thats it lol.

I also agree it doesn’t really make sense considering a 200 ownership lens, but that’s exactly why i need something disposable, cheap, and fun to trash around.

Toyota is having a hell of a time with the Tundra as well, there are recalls, issues and bad launches everywhere. Everything coming out broken, from vehicles to video games, to iPhones. Its trash all around and masses of hype men gobbling it up even fighting over the scraps. Something i will never do.

Owning a car on public roads for 30 years also makes less and less sense the more i think about it. Its a shame too, since im trying really hard not to fall into the trap the industry is cornering us into, with the eventual death of real ownership looking more likely day by day.

So given all that, if a car is capable of offering me 5 years of driving without a single oil (or fluid) change or a single brake job, and is cheaper to operate at the same time i don’t know how any rational non politically motivated person could think that its not a great choice for city use (and also having your real rig for all it can do).

I still agree with you though, but there is really nothing I can compare to the model 3 in its price range. Assuming you believe build quality is largely universally bad like I do. If there is an exception, let me know, i really am deliberating the choices.

We got a Mach-e and love it. Not quite the range of the model 3 but looks a whole lot better in my eyes. And if you are using around town and have a level 2 charger at your house range really isn't an issue.

We test drove nearly every EV we could and ended on the mach-e. The audi etrons were really nice and who wouldn't want a Taycan but I'm not letting my kids destroy things that cost that much at their current ages.

What are your thoughts on the Audis other than that?

I will also add that this thread was much more exciting and relevant BEFORE the R1S launched. Now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, we could do the poll again and i bet 90% would be in the never camp, including me who is always looking for an excuse to get out of the truck…

These first gen products are just not meeting the expectations at all. I had originally voted maybe, then changed to NO. I should change it to never now since its still open lol.

"Just a small Honda generator and a Tesla charger cord. I’d 100% put these things in my trailer for long distance/off-grid travel if I had a Rivian."

Or you could skip the generator, carry a gas can and drive an ICE vehicle.

I am of the opinion a nimble little (or not so little) EV is the absolute best choice to compliment a heavy, inefficient (yet fun for its intended purpose) vehicle. I have a Tesla as well and I believe they have absolutely nailed it with their current round of appliances they make. The car is everything that my LX is not. And I love both of them for what they deliver.

Along these lines, I also want Rivians and Lucids of the world to succeed as there is no argument the EV are better for the environment. I promote the use of EV for most part of the daily drives and leave the LC/LX/4R/FJC for overland and off-road uses.

I am of the opinion a nimble little (or not so little) EV is the absolute best choice to compliment a heavy, inefficient (yet fun for its intended purpose) vehicle. I have a Tesla as well and I believe they have absolutely nailed it with their current round of appliances they make. The car is everything that my LX is not. And I love both of them for what they deliver.

Along these lines, I also want Rivians and Lucids of the world to succeed as there is no argument the EV are better for the environment. I promote the use of EV for most part of the daily drives and leave the LC/LX/4R/FJC for overland and off-road uses.
"as there is no argument the EV are better for the environment. "

False. There is a ton of evidence that EVs are just as bad or worse than ICE. Not to mention 99% of electricty is generated by coal or oil fired plants. you just moved the emissions from the tailpipe to the plant.

False. There is a ton of evidence that EVs are just as bad or worse than ICE. Not to mention 99% of electricty is generated by coal or oil fired plants. you just moved the emissions from the tailpipe to the plant.

What electricity production are you referring to? Less than 61% of electricity production in the United States is from fossil fuels when looking at all of 2022. Specifically coal and oil made up just over 20%.

This entire thread is trash.

Yep, fully agree. On a CO2 basis not much in it and what do you do with the old Lithium batteries. Until we make nuclear fusion work at large scale or get after nuclear fission again, it makes little sense.

there is no argument the EV are better for the environment.

Debatable, although I personally agree by and large with some significant caveats.

Not to mention 99% of electricty is generated by coal or oil fired plants. you just moved the emissions from the tailpipe to the plant.

Factually inaccurate. My local grid is about 50% renewable. I also have solar and charge at home so my EV uses *nearly* no fossil fuels. I concede that is a very different thing from having no carbon footprint.

Last edited:
What electricity production are you referring to? Less than 61% of electricity production in the United States is from fossil fuels when looking at all of 2022. Specifically coal and oil made up just over 20%.

This entire thread is trash.

Deleted as I stated inaccurate numbers. JohnJB is right. In the US 60% or so is generated from fossil fuels. Looks like recent MIT studies show about a 25% reduction in CO2 emissions when considering manufacturing as well. Do hope these lithium ion batteries are properly re-cycled.

Last edited:

Basically exactly what I am saying but much more concise and to the point lol.

Really dude. Maybe what you buy locally but not in the big picture.
View attachment 3282773
Yes. Really dude. The updated 2022 numbers looking at national production. Did I say something that was inaccurate other than the massive fossil fuel generalization as I was responding to the oil and coal comment?

As for the trash comment. That’s referring to the fact this thread continues to clutter the 200 series tech section. The fact we’re talking about electricity production is evidence of that.

D3C63C02-744D-4E22-A686-C5BC6E6F0802.jpeg

Last edited:

In my opinion;

P.S. Going around German cars with a wide circle would in fact be wise as well. So if a Tesla has your passion, that is the car for you!
Despite my model 3's perfect reliability record 4 years in, I still sort of agree with this comment. If I could have bought a honda or toyota EV at the time, I would have preferred that to a brand new company. There are definitely things about a tesla (partiuclarly the model 3 and Y), that just don't make sense from a basic design standpoint. And it hasn't been without it's quirks and "quality" issues (none of which affect reliability). But the company has been around for over 10 years now, and even the 3 which started out with the philosophy of "lets see how cheaply we can possibly make a mass-market EV" has gotten a lot more refined in the last couple years. You can tell mine was slapped together a cheaply as possible. Some newer ones I've ridden in are much quieter, ride better, better battery conditioning and just more solid feeling compared to my early model.

Only part I really disagree with is the comment highlighted in orange. An EV is nearly free to operate (especially if you have solar) and I think it's a perfect companion to a Land Cruiser. Each serves a totally different purpose, but they both do it very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom