Ride ?'s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a couple of quick ?'s . sorry if they have been covered previously and they are a little "slow" for lack of a better term but wanting to keep up to date.
OK, what are you guys using for hydration for riding the trails and why? I have used a camelback for the last couple of years but even though it's drained and cleaned after every use it still get's nasty. I used to use water bottles but I hate how dirty they get mounted low on the frame. I will probably buy another hydration pack but want to hear what other options are available. Also, I carry a couple of things on my rides which is where the camelback comes in handy but a small pack mounted somewhere on the bike would work also. What are you using for storage?.

Thx

i carry everything in a pack to keep the weight on me instead of on the bike.

For hydration, I prefer either NUUN or just water. NUUN is not as sweet as the other hydration options (most of which would make me sick to my stomach on a long ride).

I am still a Camelbak guy. I use a HAWG NV with tap water and all my gear. I use bottles anytime I need an additive on a ride.

FWIW,

Use only tap water in your bladder. the chlorine will help keep the nasties at bay. The flavor will vary depending on your cleaning procedures. I have just gotten used to the flavor.

Thx, I usually run tap water in my camelback but it is 3 years old. How often are you guys changing out the bladders? Also, how are you keeping your water cold? In my CB I just put a dozen or so ice cubes but my buddy puts a little water in his and freezes it. I think thats too hard on the material and ice works just as good.

Thx, I usually run tap water in my camelback but it is 3 years old. How often are you guys changing out the bladders? Also, how are you keeping your water cold? In my CB I just put a dozen or so ice cubes but my buddy puts a little water in his and freezes it. I think thats too hard on the material and ice works just as good.

I will never admit to using one for more than 5 years... but then I think I had 8 different ones to cycle through at one time. The newer bladders are easy to put under the ice dispenser. I usually run 50% ice when it is hot.

time for a new CB for you...
I put gatorade in it.. once I finish I rinse it and throw it in the fridge..
once in a while I use bleach and rinse it really well... really really well.. and have had no issues with it...
I do the same with my water bottles for road riding..

I will admit to hanging mine in the garage without cleaning it out at all and just rinsing it out before next use. It's at least five years old and not nasty at all. I have no idea why not. It has never been "cleaned". I use tap water and no ice. Right now it has a little spring water left from Downieville a couple weeks ago.

For me it also depends on the length of the ride. Long rides I like the pack (I have a North Face 3 liter) and short rides I like just a bottle. Short rides are an hour or three. I also use Nunn tablets and I really like them. My pack seems to stay clean, though I don't wash it out.

I do not like the Camelbacks, although in the heat they're the only thing that holds enough water for a 2-hour ride. I don't like them because you have to suck too hard to get a meaningful amount of water out of them.

When it's cool out, I ride with bottles.

I was using a CB for a few years and in the heat of summer found that it was too hot on my back. I switched to bottles. I use a 24 oz bottle for any ride under 2 hours and if its extremely hot I'll throw another one in my jersey. So far this has worked well for me. When I was using my CB I rinsed it after a few rides and washed it once a month. Seemed to work for me with no nasty's. I also would put it in the refrigerator b/n rides. I always use a water/gatorade mix around 60/40. As far as keeping it cool well I don't add ice to mine or anything like that. I found when its hot out the extreme cold didn't do well with me kinda like shocking my system. I just load it up out of the refrigerator and let it go as is.

I used to use water bottles. I live in SF/Bay Area so there is not much rain and mud. Mostly dry fire roads. However, when I was in some slop, I would remove the bottle from the cage and either put it in my jersey pocket or under my shorts along the small of my back.

For the past few years I have switched to a CB. I have a plastic device sold by CB that keeps the sides apart, allowing it to air dry faster. I only put water in it and have never had any problem with grunge.

It depends on the ride and if there are places to stop in-between for water.

Shorter rides = bottles.

Longer rides = CB.

Just make sure you wash and dry it per the instructions (bleach) and it's all good.

Roll your camelback bladder up and put into freezer until next ride. A little warm water and it's ready to go. Freezing it keeps the "funk" at bay. Swish a little bleach in it occasionally and it should give you years of funk free service.

Camelbacks are great for longer rides where you want/need to carry more stuff...but that is also the issue with them. Some tend to pack everything including the kitchen sink.

I found that I really like bottles for the majority of rides, and my back really thanks me. If you are going the CB route, store the bladder empty hanging up. Every few uses put a tablespoon of bleach in it (filled with water) and let it sit a couple of hours. Rinse and use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom