RHD LN106 Hilux G-Series Transmission to W-Series Transmission Swap Question/Advise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Had 5th gear blow out on a G52 G54 transmission on a 3L Hilux with a 2-LT turbo added on. I just got it ripped out, and decide that it's probably best to swap the G series transmission for a W-56C transmission from Marlin Crawler instead of rebuilding the original one since I have heard multiple stories of G52/54's blowing out only after a few years.

Anyways, I'm assuming that all I have to do is get a W56C (forward shift) from Marlin, swap the original RHD bellhousing on the G-series to the new W-56 and it all bolts and plugs in together? Any ideas of recommendations are much appreciated.

2021-08-05 13.55.38.jpg

Photo of the current truck in disarray

Sounds like a good thing to do. The only issue I can think of is the crossmember. But I don't remember.

Sounds like a good thing to do. The only issue I can think of is the crossmember. But I don't remember.
To my knowledge, the G52 and W56's have the exact same dimensions in length. The crossmember is supporting and attached to the transfer case (which is the same RF1A forward shift) which I intend to just rebuilt the original one, so it shouldn't be a factor?

I think the g52 transfer case is 4.5 inch forward shift and the w56c would be 4.0 inches. So might not bolt right up

Instead of spending money on a Marlin rebuild i would look for an R series bellhousing. A low mile R150's can be picked up for next to nothing then you just need an adapter to your transfer case or an r151 would bolt right up without an adapter and if you put a 23 spline input in your current case.

One of the Marlin guys wrote: "The W-series is about 20% stronger than the G-series: Larger and wider bearings, larger and wider gears. In comparison, the R-series is at least twice as strong as a W-series, probably more."

Not 100% if the forward shifts are the same for the cases.
Afa shift rod reach into the back of the trans.

Edit: ^^^we posted simultaneously.

20210705_111318.jpg

Wish I had a better picture but the G is on the left and W right. Significant difference in the shifters. If it could fit it would probably push the shifter into the transmission shifter.

I think the g52 transfer case is 4.5 inch forward shift and the w56c would be 4.0 inches. So might not bolt right up

Instead of spending money on a Marlin rebuild i would look for an R series bellhousing. A low mile R150's can be picked up for next to nothing then you just need an adapter to your transfer case or an r151 would bolt right up without an adapter and if you put a 23 spline input in your current case.

One of the Marlin guys wrote: "The W-series is about 20% stronger than the G-series: Larger and wider bearings, larger and wider gears. In comparison, the R-series is at least twice as strong as a W-series, probably more."
Got it, I just did a Marlin search and can confirm that the shifter is about a half inch more to the rear... Is there a kit where I can basically get a shortened shift rod to work with a W56? I do have a W-56 RF1A top shift laying around as well, but i feel like it's a bigger pain to convert the top shift into a W56 forward shift. Maybe I can just get the forward shift conversion from Low Range Offroad and swap the forks out in the current G52 RF1A?

I think i'm still going to just stick with the W56. This LN106 has a pretty low stress life, and i just don't think it needs it. However, I will read more into it. I also believe the 2L Turbo Land Cruiser Prado's had R150's and R151's from the factory... and I would imagine a whole R150/R151's should be able to bolt into a 3L engine which has very similar characteristics to the 2L's. So maybe the R series swap may be easier than I think it is... But again, I'm just not very fluent with the L series diesels - yet.

I did an R151 swap in a 3L 2.8 diesel by using a 2LT bellhousing out of a Surf and a TG gear drive adaptor for the tcase + a 23 spline tcase input gear. Lines up mm perfect to the standard RF1A tcase mounts. I went dual case at he same time but that doesn't change the basic set up alignment.

hilux3 (2).jpg

That r151 looks nice.

I have two w56 4 inch offset cases. If you do order the w56 from Marlin let me know or and I'll send you the shift forks. You can send back the 4.5 when pulled.

Better than trying to cut and weld them. Save that top shift case if you ever go duals like above.

@ALX4X4 wow that's outstanding.
I have two w56 4 inch offset cases. If you do order the w56 from Marlin let me know or and I'll send you the shift forks. You can send back the 4.5 when pulled.

Better than trying to cut and weld them. Save that top shift case if you ever go duals like above.
I'm going to go ahead and order a W56C now then. The wait time is 14 weeks+ so might as well get that ball rolling. Do you guys have any inputs on whether the heavy duty version is worth it? Thank you for the offer. I'm out in CA. Not sure what shipping and stuff would entail, but if it's not too crazy I will reach out to you once I get closer to the W56C delivery date.

Feel free to reach out when the time is closer. Top shift is below but once you have those pins out the two shift rods are the only things that would need to be exchanged to convert.

1629383088986.png

Sorry to dig up this thread... I find myself in a similar situation. Looks like the G52 is going out in my LN106.

What did you end up going with? The R series swap is very tempting.

Do the R swap... And never look back. But to keep gear drive TC you need the adaptor. Everything will line up and bolt in the same if you can get a 2LT bellhousing.
I also have the Dyne 5th in mine makes 100 kph cruising at 2250 rpm 4.11 / 33's.

So, cruiserparts has an r151f for sale. I called and was told it is in working order and pulled from an HZJ79.

Shipped it would be about 1100 bucks.

33030-6A413.jpg

33030-6A413_02.jpg

This company has a lot of terrible reviews... but it doesn't look like there's a lot of options for R151s.

Does an R151F from an HZJ79 for sure have the 165mm input shaft?

Last edited:
So, cruiserparts has an r151f for sale. I called and was told it is in working order and pulled from an HZJ79.

Shipped it would be about 1100 bucks.

This company has a lot of terrible reviews... but it doesn't look like there's a lot of options for R151s.

Does an R151F from an HZJ79 for sure have the 165mm input shaft?

It needs to be out of a 2lte Hilux Surf or Prado to get the right bell housing. That is the most difficult thing.

If you already have the L X R bellhousing you'll have more options.

What transfercase bolts up to that?

If you already have the L X R bellhousing you'll have more options.
The pictures above don't look like a removable bellhousing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom