RHD - LHD E locker swap questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a pair of locked axles from a 1991 RHD HDJ81 and I would like to put them under my 1997 FZJ80. I know I will have to cut certain mounts off of the LHD axles and weld them onto the RHD axle (no big deal for me as Im a welder by trade) what I am hung up on is ABS. the older JDM axles didn't come equipped with abs sensors.
I am wondering if I can simply take the steering knuckles and birfields off of the 1997 LHD axles and put them on the 1991 RHD axles? Do I need to transfer the spindles and axle flages as well? I am just starting to scratch the surface of this project. so my apologies if this information is readily available

I’m thinking you swap your birfs with the ‘97 ABS rings on them into the ‘91 housings, and maybe cut/weld the ABS sensor mounts ‘97 > ‘91 axle shells & done deal.

RR axle:
The RR axle housing needs all the longer 3rd member studs from the ‘91 into the ‘97 shell otherwise, and a locker 3rd member gasket will template where to notch the flange for the ring gear.

I’ve never tried to swap a semi-float to a full float, so no idea there.

FR axle:
The FR is alot more work at the flange for the 3rd, so I’d sooner add any ABS provisions / the magnet sensor mount - than convert the ‘97 housing to accept a locker 3rd member at the flange.

That’s the short answer IMO.

Just swap the 3rd members. Much easier.
agreed that its much less work to swap 3rd members. how ever a friend of mine went this rout on his fzj80 and had big problems with leaks I think his issue had to do with water getting in not necessarily oil getting out. I cannot remember exactly what his logic was. I recall him saying that it was near imposable even with a mag drill to drill perfectly plumb and centred holes for the new studs. he figured his leaks were the result of this misalignment.

Last edited:
I am wondering if I can simply take the steering knuckles and birfields off of the 1997 LHD axles and put them on the 1991 RHD axles? Do I need to transfer the spindles and axle flages as well?

Yes, knuckles and birfs can be swapped.
No need to swap spindles
Keep matching drive flanges with the birfs.

I'm not right across what you're thinking of doing.
I don't think there any mounts to change on the rear housing if you're swapping a complete axle housing.
On the front, you'll have to swap or fab a Panhard rod mount, and swap the RHD/LHD steering arms.

I'd go for fabbing the new mount, and swap the knuckles. You can do all this before during then under the vehicle, good time to refresh the knuckles and seals, trunion bearings, repack or swap birfs etc

I've retro fitted e-locked thirds into non-locked housings, and it's a bit of a pain

I’m thinking you swap your birfs with the ‘97 ABS rings on them into the ‘91 housings, and maybe cut/weld the ABS sensor mounts ‘97 > ‘91 axle shells & done deal.

RR axle:
The RR axle housing needs all the longer 3rd member studs from the ‘91 into the ‘97 shell otherwise, and a locker 3rd member gasket will template where to notch the flange for the ring gear.

I’ve never tried to swap a semi-float to a full float, so no idea there.

FR axle:
The FR is alot more work at the flange for the 3rd, so I’d sooner add any ABS provisions / the magnet sensor mount - than convert the ‘97 housing to accept a locker 3rd member at the flange.

That’s the short answer IMO.
If you go the full swap route, HDJ81 rear is full float with discs; full bolt-in deal. I'd swap the brake backing plates and use the FZJ brakes though.

I'm still not convinced it's going to be easier to cut and weld new mounts than notch for a different third on the front, but like mentioned in the post above it's easy enough to use the FZJ parts from the knuckle out in the RHD housing to keep ABS.

Yes, knuckles and birfs can be swapped.
No need to swap spindles
Keep matching drive flanges with the birfs.

I'm not right across what you're thinking of doing.
I don't think there any mounts to change on the rear housing if you're swapping a complete axle housing.
On the front, you'll have to swap or fab a Panhard rod mount, and swap the RHD/LHD steering arms.

I'd go for fabbing the new mount, and swap the knuckles. You can do all this before during then under the vehicle, good time to refresh the knuckles and seals, trunion bearings, repack or swap birfs etc

I've retro fitted e-locked thirds into non-locked housings, and it's a bit of a pain
I was in fact referring to the pan hard mount. I really appreciate the info. you have helped me out a number of times in the past and continue to provide good information

If you go the full swap route, HDJ81 rear is full float with discs; full bolt-in deal. I'd swap the brake backing plates and use the FZJ brakes though.

I'm still not convinced it's going to be easier to cut and weld new mounts than notch for a different third on the front, but like mentioned in the post above it's easy enough to use the FZJ parts from the knuckle out in the RHD housing to keep ABS.

Good call with the rear breaks.

I think its sort of an apples and oranges thing. I'm going to go the knuckle swap / pan hard mount swap rout. for me personally just with the tools and back ground I have I think the pan hard swap is the way to go. If I went about notching the center housing I know id get way to carried away and it would take allot of time. Id probably start by milling a 3/4" x 4" or 3/4" x 6" flat bar perfectly flat and use it as a mount between the opening for the diff and a mag drill. then use the mag drill with a coring bit to drill out the corners of the slot and a drill bit to drill the new holes for the new 3rd member studs. at least thats how this scenario unfolds in my head. regardless of which rout I take I still have to do a total front end over haul. The front HDJ81 Axle had a major wheel bearing failure and the front FZj80 axle has some serious clicking going on in its birfs

I think its sort of an apples and oranges thing. I'm going to go the knuckle swap / pan hard mount swap rout.
This is what I did. The rear axle housing is straightforward, but the front is MUCH simpler to swap the panhard mount over. I ended up having to source a replacement front housing to swap mount to - the mag drilled holes were out of plumb. I now know they must be drilled with an annular bit.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom