LHD vs RHD resale difference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LHD no less than 50% premium over RHD in my world. Everything else equal.
As for 80 powerplants, I definitely don't want a 3FE and I probably don't want a 1HZ, either.

For me, RHD would be a novelty. Kinda like driving my 40 FST around town. Not something I'd want to do on a daily basis.

YMMV

If I may add my 2c here:

For resale value (the original question of this thread), it is obvious that a LHD vehicle will command a premium over an equivalent RHD model. How much of a premium will depend. On the low scale (high mileage, poor body, in need of major maintenance), the premium will be negligible. On the mid-scale (medium mileage, but an average car, common model) you will find the premium for LHD will increase, to about 5-10K USD on a 20-30K vehicle. However, on the high-end-scale, you will not achieve such lofty heights with a RHD vehicle as with a LHD. On those upper echelons the difference might be double the value of the vehicle, or say 40K vs 80K.

It all comes down to the same factors as always (in art, in properties, etc.):
- desirability
- rarity

Simply, the very fact there are few LHD cruisers with a 1HD and low mileage and no rust means they are going to be expensive (nod to @gilmorneau here). Same goes for the barn-door, LHD FZJ80 that sold on BaT recently - rare to find one in that condition.

From a personal perspective, I have a RHD HZJ78 from Australia (bought with 60K km on the odo, no rust, great shape) and a LHD HZJ76 bought as a NOS vehicle - both for about the same price. If I were to flip them today, guaranteed the LHD HZJ76 would fetch a hefty premium, because it's so much rarer. Good luck finding a 15-year-old LHD HZJ76. A RHD HZJ78? Sure, just go on any Australian website.

Today, you might be better off getting an 80 that's already stateside than buying one in Japan. Prices there have increased and since there are plenty already imported, it might be easier to get a "bargain" by buying local.

But, if you're buying a vehicle due to resale value, you're in the wrong place. I am of the belief the money you put into a vehicle, you should be prepared to part with forever. It's not an investment, save for some extreme cases that we mere mortals are unable to even dream of. It's a car. To be used. To be abused. To be enjoyed. And ultimately, to possibly sell to move on to the next project/dream/aspiration. If you're thinking of "how not to lose money by buying a Cruiser" then you should block IH8MUD on your browser.

From the practical perspective. A RHD car is fine for an adventure/camping rig. In my HZJ78, I am a conservative driver. It's slow. I won't pass most people. It's also a fishbowl, in that I can see 360-degrees around the car, so when I do need to pass, I have excellent visibility. Drive-throughs? Haven't been in one in years. Couldn't care less.
Would I daily it? Hard to say. I wouldn't have any problems with it, but for driving on the highway, in city traffic, etc., a modern car is less of an "experience" to begin with.
But the hate people have for RHD vehicles is, in my opinion, completely unjustifiable.

105 series is already importable
Only just. If you can find one that was built before August 1998 you could bring it in.
Finding good condition and low mileage 105s is going to be a struggle I think, compared to 80s, with no JDM supply. Plus factory turbo diesel variants are extremely rare.
Turbo diesel 105 is so rare that there aren’t any AFAIK.

Sorry, off topic.

If I may add my 2c here:

For resale value (the original question of this thread), it is obvious that a LHD vehicle will command a premium over an equivalent RHD model. How much of a premium will depend. On the low scale (high mileage, poor body, in need of major maintenance), the premium will be negligible. On the mid-scale (medium mileage, but an average car, common model) you will find the premium for LHD will increase, to about 5-10K USD on a 20-30K vehicle. However, on the high-end-scale, you will not achieve such lofty heights with a RHD vehicle as with a LHD. On those upper echelons the difference might be double the value of the vehicle, or say 40K vs 80K.

It all comes down to the same factors as always (in art, in properties, etc.):
- desirability
- rarity

Simply, the very fact there are few LHD cruisers with a 1HD and low mileage and no rust means they are going to be expensive (nod to @gilmorneau here). Same goes for the barn-door, LHD FZJ80 that sold on BaT recently - rare to find one in that condition.

From a personal perspective, I have a RHD HZJ78 from Australia (bought with 60K km on the odo, no rust, great shape) and a LHD HZJ76 bought as a NOS vehicle - both for about the same price. If I were to flip them today, guaranteed the LHD HZJ76 would fetch a hefty premium, because it's so much rarer. Good luck finding a 15-year-old LHD HZJ76. A RHD HZJ78? Sure, just go on any Australian website.

Today, you might be better off getting an 80 that's already stateside than buying one in Japan. Prices there have increased and since there are plenty already imported, it might be easier to get a "bargain" by buying local.

But, if you're buying a vehicle due to resale value, you're in the wrong place. I am of the belief the money you put into a vehicle, you should be prepared to part with forever. It's not an investment, save for some extreme cases that we mere mortals are unable to even dream of. It's a car. To be used. To be abused. To be enjoyed. And ultimately, to possibly sell to move on to the next project/dream/aspiration. If you're thinking of "how not to lose money by buying a Cruiser" then you should block IH8MUD on your browser.

From the practical perspective. A RHD car is fine for an adventure/camping rig. In my HZJ78, I am a conservative driver. It's slow. I won't pass most people. It's also a fishbowl, in that I can see 360-degrees around the car, so when I do need to pass, I have excellent visibility. Drive-throughs? Haven't been in one in years. Couldn't care less.
Would I daily it? Hard to say. I wouldn't have any problems with it, but for driving on the highway, in city traffic, etc., a modern car is less of an "experience" to begin with.
But the hate people have for RHD vehicles is, in my opinion, completely unjustifiable.
It’s not “hate” for RHD, it’s the reality that they are less safe and loose value over a LHD vehicle.

Value, I was looking on Autotrader, US version, the other day.

Looked at two turbo diesel cruisers. The RHD was substantially less than the LHD, same model.

As above, I don’t hate RHD. I’ve put 1000’s of km’s on RHD cars in Australia and the UK. No problem.

The question is: why buy a RHD car for use in America when LHD versions are available? The answer is: because RHD is less expensive.

Which answers the OP’s question.

It’s not “hate” for RHD, it’s the reality that they are less safe and loose value over a LHD vehicle.

Looked at two turbo diesel cruisers. The RHD was substantially less than the LHD, same model.
They don't "loose" [sic] value, they have a lower value in the US. Buying smart is up to you...
Less safe? Depends on your driving habits. They are less safe for the average driver. Probably, in the long run, for all of us.
I think the LHD 80 series owners really want to protect their perceived LHD-cars value. In the 70-series section we're much more open I think.

@gilmorneau , it's not only because the RHD is cheaper, it's because sometimes the LHD cars are true unicorns. I have looked at HZJ78's for three years since purchasing mine, and haven't found even one in a comparable condition - LHD and RHD included. Some of the things folks do to salvage 70-series ONLY because they are LHD are equal parts impressive and insane. I will happily take a RHD vehicle in place of a full-on restoration of a LHD one.

Last edited:

I'm gonna argue the less safe claim.

Some things are improved, others are not.

Merging onto the highway is MUCH improved imho in a RHD.....much much better visibility.

Backing out of spaces that are on an angle is a bit more challenging.

I've driven a couple RHD's over the years and there's nothing I would characterize as a "Safety" issue....its just different and the driver has a learning curve.

There are so many over medicated/under caffienated drivers on the roads these days that the RHD vehicle IMHO doesnt even make top 100 for issues.

I'm gonna argue the less safe claim.

Some things are improved, others are not.

Merging onto the highway is MUCH improved imho in a RHD.....much much better visibility.

Backing out of spaces that are on an angle is a bit more challenging.

I've driven a couple RHD's over the years and there's nothing I would characterize as a "Safety" issue....its just different and the driver has a learning curve.

There are so many over medicated/under caffienated drivers on the roads these days that the RHD vehicle IMHO doesnt even make top 100 for issues.
You forgot cell phone users/and the centre cluster screens in todays cars as the biggest threat to all of us!

sometimes the LHD cars are true unicorns.
True. I wasn’t considering that.
Some of the things folks do to salvage 70-series ONLY because they are LHD are equal parts impressive and insane.
Without mentioning any names. 😂
I will happily take a RHD vehicle in place of a full-on restoration of a LHD one.
Personal preference. I’d probably just do without if faced with that choice.

You forgot cell phone users/and the centre cluster screens in todays cars as the biggest threat to all of us!

Gonna chalk that up to the over medicated/under caffiienated driver.....

Lots of people go their entire lives changing radio/answering phone calls and eating multi course meals behind the wheel without ever having an issue.

Its not the tool....its the tool user thats the problem.

Sorry to go off topic.

RHD vehicles will always be worth less than a similarly equipped LHD vehicle....at least here in the US.....principally because the majority of the population are too risk averse to expand their comfort zone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom