Reverse light kill switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put one of those back up alarms in my 80 many years ago. It serves it's purpose well, but sometimes is a pain at nite. Like backing out of a friends driveway at 2AM .. it's just a bulb that also has an alarm, so would it be possible to have a cut off switch in the cab for that particular side's reverse light? Kill the alarm light and keep the other in case someone swings around a corner in a hurry. I'd settle for killing the reverse circuit altogether from an in-cab switch, for the short durations I'd need it.

TY

T Y L E R said:
I put one of those back up alarms in my 80 many years ago. It serves it's purpose well, but sometimes is a pain at nite. Like backing out of a friends driveway at 2AM .. it's just a bulb that also has an alarm, so would it be possible to have a cut off switch in the cab for that particular side's reverse light? Kill the alarm light and keep the other in case someone swings around a corner in a hurry. I'd settle for killing the reverse circuit altogether from an in-cab switch, for the short durations I'd need it.

TY

I'm sure if I studied my EWD long enough there would be a circuit you could break into. But the short answer is yes....find either the ground or "hot" wire for that bulb (your choice) and install a switch in line. Its going to take a pretty long piece of wire to get it from the back of the vehicle to the dash (if you tap in at the tail light), but yeah....it can be done.

couple random tangents

1. 3 position switch to manually turn on reverse light, manually turn it off (what you want to do), and auto so it comes on in reverse

and while were sorting thru wires, how about

2. a switch to kill all the rear lights if you are being chased and dont want your brake lights to give you away (I know there cant be too mnay things slower than a 80 series, but it could happen)

Tyler -

I did something very similar in the stop light circuit - interrupting the overhead LED stop light independant of the two corner stop lights - so I could selectively choose from the driver's position either a standard stop light, or a modulating stop light in the overhead LED.

The break in the wiring had to come from the rear; specifically a harness that runs immediately adjacent to the DS tail light housing... then a long wire run to a two position rocker on the center console, such as Rusty suggested.

So yes, not too difficult after you identify where your break in the wiring has to occur. BTW, folks don't tailgate nearly as much now with that LED flashing in their face...

Cheers, R -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom