Builds Resurrecting a mothballed '86 FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks really nice @Seth_O! You’ll be happy you painted the box. Just keep checking and adding. I really feel like I failed miserably at flushing w/ my new used pump... definitely was getting groaning and such but just kept checking it and adding and it evened out and since when I check the level has always been correct.

Got the air cleaner back from powder coat. Before and after pics:

20190416_173010.jpg

20190506_165255.jpg

I'm super happy with the outcome.

Got a little more time spent on the cruiser today. I replaced all the suspension bushings and put in new greasable shackles and pins.

Say what you want about CA - I hate it; I hate the politics, I hate the people, I hate the taxes.

However, I was able to pull all my suspension apart with simple tools and minimal effort. I only had to cut out one bushing, everything else pulled out with a little effort and some silicon-based spray in lube.

Not that exciting, but I'm glad to have it done:
20190531_162339.jpg

20190531_162335.jpg

Last edited:
I also replaced my air filter. I was surprised at the difference, old KN on the left and the new Wix on the right:

20190524_145623.jpg

20190524_145603.jpg

Truck breathes noticeably better.

Took the truck for a spin today - filled the gas tank all the way for the first time since I've owned it. I drove it down some surface streets and then jumped on the freeway.

Truck drove like a freaking CHAMP. All the uncomfortable swaying and soft cornering went away. Much more stable, so the suspension work was totally worth it.

All the driving though was really to warm it up good to have a go at a smog test.

I wanted to do a pre-test because it's been sitting for a decade. I knew I was getting back about what I expected when the shop guy came back in and said "well, that was a real smart move - doin' a pre-test first...."

Visual was real good, in fact he complimented my "real nice job with all the vacuum line" but apparently I have an exhaust leak somewhere and the cat is likely dead - technician thought it was the original.

Here are the results:
20190607_164031.jpg

I'm guessing a carb adj to get the mix right and a new cat?

You're a good catch!
Loving the build. Hoping to do something like this for my kids
It's been tons of fun, also very interesting to watch my different kids react to it very differently. A learning experience for sure!

Started in on the emissions system today. I failed two of the first three tests, both linked to vsv 2. But the vsv itself tested fine (passed air when 12v applied, no air when its not.)

During one of the tests I accidentally bumped the air pump and BAM! Air coming out of the ACV. It also started making an unhappy racket. And I broke one of the VTV's. Sigh.

Looks like it's time to pull the air pump. But that would certainly explain the bad emissions numbers.

Started in on the emissions system today. I failed two of the first three tests, both linked to vsv 2. But the vsv itself tested fine (passed air when 12v applied, no air when its not.)

During one of the tests I accidentally bumped the air pump and BAM! Air coming out of the ACV. It also started making an unhappy racket. And I broke one of the VTV's. Sigh.

Looks like it's time to pull the air pump. But that would certainly explain the bad emissions numbers.
I replaced my air pump each time I had to go to emissions. Did as a warranty claim against Cardone rebuilt air pump from O'Reilly's

Had to get just enough air into the rail to pass smog.

Then I got tired of that and registered my truck in Montana, where this no emissions requirement or testing. Easy peasy....

Got my air pump removed. When I spin it by hand it cranks and rattles and is really unhealthy sounding, definitely bad.

A while ago a contacted a mud member who was desmogging his rig, and I bought all of the smog components in a package deal. I pulled that smog pump out of the box, but its frozen and already an aftermarket unit. So no help there.

I cannot find a cardone unit anywhere - napa, oreilly or autozone, all say they are NLA.

So I bit the bullet and contacted BZ Rebuilders (located in CA) and got a quote. I shipped my OEM pump to them, and the same day they received it they had it rebuilt and ready to ship back.

20190713_181508.jpg
20190713_181520.jpg
20190713_181532.jpg

Pretty chuffed with how it looks, fingers crossed the performance is a whole lot better.

Testing also revealed a bad ACV, not sure if that would impact my emissions numbers, but the ACV in my smog stash was good. So I cleaned it up and installed it.

Hoping that those will lead to much better emissions figures.

While I screw up the courage (and find a chance to take time off work) to go back for another emissions test I thought I would get started on the AC.

My blue button lights up when I push it, but it doesnt engage the clutch and a quick check tells me there is no pressure in the system. Time for an overhaul. I figure I'll convert to R134a at the same time.

So I figured I might as well do the expansion valve and clean out the evaporator since I have the system open.

It took about 40mins, but I got the evaporator out without too much fuss. I was glad to find it in pretty darned good shape, although dirty.

20190724_201211.jpg

20190724_201201.jpg

I soaked it in simple green, and sprayed some coil cleaner on it and blew it off with compressed air. It passed a pressure test with flying colors.

Installed a new expansion valve and buttoned it back up. It reinstalled without too much trouble.

20190726_133503.jpg

Next I pulled out the compressor. It was a disgusting mess. I soaked it in degreaser and washed it off.

I suspect this is the source of my leak.

20190726_141337.jpg

20190726_142638.jpg

I drained the oil out of it and replaced the O rings. I attempted to install the adapters that came in the kit, but one of them is too small? Both my H and L side are the same size, but my adapters are one larger than the other.

I futzed around with it for like an hour, but couldn't make it work. I started getting suspicious, and when I did a quick Google on the PN it pulls up a VW compressor?

Can someone confirm this is/is not a late LC compressor?

20190726_181608.jpg

20190726_144837.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom