Restoring Switch Knobs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSCN9448.JPG
IMG_0167.jpeg
IMG_9608.JPG
IMG_9609.JPG

🤣

s-l225.jpg

The search function is really your friend on this one. Look at this thread starting at post #11: When in doubt, go higher! 1973 build thread You should have everything you need and having used this method on my faded and worn knobs I can attest to the results displayed.

My guess is a 25+ % prob 35 - 40 % acetone bath, with rit dyemore, and a lacquer stick for the lettering. Which comes in several colors for hazard and other needs.

This same technique would work great for 3d printed knobs as well.
Something I've been working on for a while now...

I have a set of early OEM (63) light and wiper switches with knobs that I'm currently restoring to sell using this technique.

So nice!

Great work!

Holy Hijack, Matt!

Another option of those who do not have access to a buffing wheel, or are too lazy to spend the time buffing:

1. Sandblast the knob to remove all old paint and etch the knob. You can't see the engraved letters in this pic, but they are there

Knobs3.jpg

2. Using a paint stick, fill in the engraved letters and top surface of the knob:

Knobs 2.jpg

3. Carefullly sand the paint off the surface of the knob using 800-1000 grit paper

4. Spray the entire knob with several coats of clear enamel (I use Rust-oleum):

Knobs1.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Hijack, Matt!

Another option of those who do not have access to a buffing wheel, or are too lazy to spend the time buffing:

1. Sandblast the knob to remove all old paint and etch the knob. You can't see the engraved letters in this pic, but they are there

View attachment 2178517

2. Using a paint stick, fill in the engraved letters and top surface of the knob:

View attachment 2178518

3. Carefullly sand the paint off the surface of the knob using 800-1000 grit paper

4. Spray the entire knob with several coats of clear enamel (I use Rust-oleum):

View attachment 2178522

no hijack intended , this is John's thread and i totally respect that ...... :)

sometimes i can get a bit carried away at what Fuels my Vintage Toyota Passion's , and what i love doing for other's

i put my heart and soul into my work , and have no shame admitting that ....

Your approach to restoring pull switch knobs is both new and unique ,

they look nice , Good Show ! :D

kindly matt

for what i have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom