Request for coaching on how to make sure I order the right replacement springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The front spring is stock. With the shackle reversal you gain about an 1 1/2" using a stock shackle. The rear shackle is 3 1/4" over stock which would also give you about 1 1/2" lift on it's own.
Typically if you are going to run stock springs with a shackle reversal I'd use a stock shackle or not more than 3/4" over up front. Match the rear with a 2~2 1/2 lift spring and a more modest shackle, maybe 1" over. Generally a lift spring will have a slightly longer main leaf so your shackle will need a little extra length under
compression.
OME matches a slightly longer shackle to their lift spring to get the guesswork out of the equation

...oh , and please run a bumper. The front bumper is a stressed member of the 40 frame. Without it all the loading is transferred to the radiator core support.
Doubly important if you have a Saginaw conversion and that cross member has been compromised . Stronger the bumper, the better

...oh , and please run a bumper. The front bumper is a stressed member of the 40 frame. Without it all the loading is transferred to the radiator core support.
Doubly important if you have a Saginaw conversion and that cross member has been compromised . Stronger the bumper, the better

@lcwizard - thank you for the follow-up, very helpful information.

The rig came to me without a bumper/cross member there, I will address that before it's back on the road. Thanks for your eyes on that.

I don't know if you were considering it, but I just reversed my SR and I couldn't be happier. Wasn't that involved, though in my case I purchased a complete OME suspension.

Great truck!

I don't know if you were considering it, but I just reversed my SR and I couldn't be happier. Wasn't that involved, though in my case I purchased a complete OME suspension.

Great truck!

It appears he's already got a Saginaw conversion. That would involve remounting the steering gear. The SR bracket allows the box to be mounted lower since
it doesn't need to clear the top of the shackle. I'm assuming those three bolts and the hydraulic hoses go somewhere
1584802089775.png

Good morning @lcwizard that is correct, I have a Saginaw box on there still and it was fine for the offroad tour last fall. I have not connected to be powered yet, in other words it doesn't have a power steering pump attached to it yet since I ran out of time to fabricate a good mount due to the engine that came with this having some funky headers.

I've got enough blowby the 350 SBC in it that then engine needs to come out for a rebuild, and it will go back in dressed with correct for this application headers and power steering pump.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

It appears he's already got a Saginaw conversion. That would involve remounting the steering gear. The SR bracket allows the box to be mounted lower since
it doesn't need to clear the top of the shackle. I'm assuming those three bolts and the hydraulic hoses go somewhere

You're absolutely correct! Thanks for clarifying. Sorry for not paying closer attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom