Request advice-DIY Suspension install doable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some of you have seen me ask the usual questions about suspensions. I try not to take up your guys’s time with dumb questions, but I am probably about to ask a dumb question. So I am willing to accept the proper jokes that should come with this.

I have been overseas for about two and a half years now and have saved up to buy a suspension for my 200. I am not overly mechanically knowledgeable, but I can figure most things out through trial and error. I called a couple of shop staff in the states to determine cost to install the suspension and I have come to find out that the install coasts as much as the actual suspension with UCA’s. Does this sound correct?

How hard is a suspension install to do yourself? What do you guys recommend?

I will get to GA early next month, and will begin a trek across country to California in the beginning of August. I don’t plan on doing my suspension until I get to Cali.

For any military guys out there, should I look at the on post auto skills shop? I have never actually used that service.

Thanks

I’m about to install UCAs and an OME lift this weekend and while I’m handy, this truck has been the first vehicle on which I’ve ever done any maintenance or work. I’m planning on a full day of work but I don’t think it will be difficult. You can ask me in a week.

Installing a suspension isn't too difficult. I installed a newer stock suspension donated by a mud member so my LC would pass inspection. There are several resources to help. This video will give you a good idea what's involved.

I did it at home. The biggest issue for me working on the LC is that everything is larger than previous vehicles I've worked on, so I had to buy some larger wrenches, sockets, and a larger torque wrench. I highly recommend loosening the lower control arm bolts like in the video. Those LC bolts are pretty large and have like 225 ft/lbs of torque. If you have an LC, make sure to hit the 5mm KDSS bolts with kroil or some type of penetrant for a week or so before starting the project.

Last edited:
^Hah, was just about to post that. Ryan @OTRAMM rocks. He's building such an awesome library of video how to's for LC's. From basic, to advanced, all the way to obscure including the LRA aux tank I installed. I'm pretty handy and would consider myself advanced when it comes to working on cars, yet I will never turn down watching a how to video guide. I'd rather be prepared tackling things than be surprised.

To Chip503, no such thing as a dumb question. Unless the answer is right before you on the front page and one didn't spend any effort to look. With some requisite tools and that video guide, I think you can handle it. Just take your time and hopefully you have another vehicle to use so you don't have to rush. We all start somewhere.

If I may suggest, it's probably helpful to name the title after the topic to aid future searches. Something like "Suspension DIY Difficulty?"

Some of you have seen me ask the usual questions about suspensions. I try not to take up your guys’s time with dumb questions, but I am probably about to ask a dumb question. So I am willing to accept the proper jokes that should come with this.

I have been overseas for about two and a half years now and have saved up to buy a suspension for my 200. I am not overly mechanically knowledgeable, but I can figure most things out through trial and error. I called a couple of shop staff in the states to determine cost to install the suspension and I have come to find out that the install coasts as much as the actual suspension with UCA’s. Does this sound correct?

How hard is a suspension install to do yourself? What do you guys recommend?

I will get to GA early next month, and will begin a trek across country to California in the beginning of August. I don’t plan on doing my suspension until I get to Cali.

For any military guys out there, should I look at the on post auto skills shop? I have never actually used that service.

Thanks
Where in CA are you moving? Id say give it a go, but also have a backup in case you need help. Just find your local TLCA club, someone will help.

Last edited:
I paid $450 for my front and rear coil over shocks to be installed by my mechanic. If I lived in Georgia I would be best friends with @Taco2Cruiser and having him do my work if he had time.

If this is your first time I would plan on it taking 10 plus hours. The hardest part is getting the uca in, the bolt is long and it is hard to get. The on base hobby shops are ok, but they get crowded and don't have the best tools. You also have to go up to the counter for any special tools and that adds time. The biggest benefit is if you can use their lift, but you may have to wait your turn. I prefer working at home. For landcruisers, and Toyotas in general, you can do everything with a 8, 10, 12, 17, 19, 22 and 24 mm wrench and socket set. I prefer buying tools once instead of paying someone else

If this is your first time I would plan on it taking 10 plus hours. The hardest part is getting the uca in, the bolt is long and it is hard to get. The on base hobby shops are ok, but they get crowded and don't have the best tools. You also have to go up to the counter for any special tools and that adds time. The biggest benefit is if you can use their lift, but you may have to wait your turn. I prefer working at home. For landcruisers, and Toyotas in general, you can do everything with a 8, 10, 12, 17, 19, 22 and 24 mm wrench and socket set. I prefer buying tools once instead of paying someone else
The axle nut socket is generally a special buy and having an impact to break it loose will be helpful. You'll also need multiple torque wrenches including a 1/2" that can get to 250lb-ft.

I went with the BP51 lift and without replacing the UCA. I'm about 2" on the front lift and that is the limit without UCA's. When they aligned the wheels it's at the limit. Any more lift and UCA are needed. It took a whole day, and then another 1/4 day to add a spacer to one of the rear springs so it would sit level.
Front was normal, the rear was harder than normal with stuff in the way.

Yes. The base (or post) auto shop might have a selection of the other specialty tools needed for this job. Spring compressor, larger torque wrenches, and a spare set of hands if needed.

Thoroughly read the factory service manual on suspension servicing and see if it makes sense to you and is something you really want to tackle. It's really not that difficult, but you can create a lot of headaches for yourself and impact safety if not done correctly.

Hint: search for over extended front drive axles.

HTH.

Thanks

Absolutely worth it. I think here on Kirtland it’s $5-$8/hour to rent a lift and tools. Plus, some shops have certified mechanics on hand. They may not do the work for you, but if you need a spotter or an extra hand, they are usually willing to help.

If you’re going to tackle it yourself, be very cautious when disconnecting the upper control arms from the spindles. Maintain positive control of the hub. It is easy to over-extend the CVs and drop bearing out of the bearing race, or bind a bearing between the race and the cage.

This happened to my truck, and the bearing race was damaged. The symptom manifested as an axle bind. It was interesting to see.

Don’t be intimidated by that anecdote though. Once you know about the possibility, it’s easy to control.

Yes, that'll make it easy and they should have the tools you need.

Over the past few years they've been cutting back Hobby Shop hours so make sure you verify their DIY hours. I think the one on my base has cut down to one or two days per week. Sucks.

I've done a suspension swap on the LC200 twice now, first from stock to OME, then to OME BP51. Its not a hard procedure, doable without a lift in the driveway!
The most difficult part I felt is swapping the springs on the front struts. These springs are very stiff and need a determined hand to compress and get sorted. Using good compressors and an airtool helps a lot but is specifically cautioned against in the Toyota repair procedures. Very hard without though!
If you buy struts with springs on them, like the BP51, it's a fairly straight forward job. As mentioned above, ensure that you don't swing out the axle carrier when the UCA is disconnected so the CV isn't pulled from the bearing and the rest is pretty straight forward. The rear is really simple.
Good luck

I installed my Tough Dog lift in the driveway and I agree that it's not a technically hard procedure but it did take me a lot longer then I expected - at least 8 hours. I have done a lift in a 4runner before and found the LC more challenging.

In retrospect I would likely let someone else do it but I am happy that I now feel like I know a lot more about my LC.

I had a lot of trouble getting the LCA to drop down enough to insert the strut. I didn't loosen the LCA's but did remove the KDSS sway bar. I followed the way this guy did it. His strut popped right out, I had a small backhoe arm putting down pressure on the hub...it was a pain in the ass.

The rear is a lot easier, springs will nearly just drop out...I had to get a little creative on the passenger spring but no problem. The rear shocks are a pain since there isn't much room to work but not all technically challenging.

After I did the lift I bought UCA's since they couldn't get it in alignment, this might have been due to the place I took it - no confidence in them. Swapping out the UCA's is very easy. Only challenge for me was getting the torque set correctly, I wonder how others do it, luckily I have a torque wrench adapter built for an open ended wrench that worked out very well. Both UCA's and both tie rod ends took just over an hour.

I would second what a lot of others have said about tools and extra hands. I had most of the tools but could have used some extra hands at specific times.

unless you plan on taking it off road for some rock crawling and putting some fat a$$ tires on it you prob dont need to replace the UCA's. I have Total Chaos UCA and if I had to do it over I'd get adjustable UCA myself, my 305x65x18's miss the TC UCA's by about an inch and alignment is a PITA since they dont adjust outward plus the monoball needs to be replaced over time. Do lots of research before you pull any trigger on upgrades...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom