Repurposing the rear heater with a propane heater? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shtbrwn86

SILVER Star
Threads
Feel free to laugh me off Mud, but as I was sitting as a stop the other day I put my hand back where the rear heater was and it was a nice warm, quiet heat. I often camp in my rig and was thinking how nice it would be to have a source or internal heat that doesn't involve a diesel heater. I could disconnect the rear heater from the main coolant system and then get a propane water heater of some type and fab some quick connect hoses under the rig to connect to the heater. I could run the fan off a battery pack or something with a hard-wired switch.

This might be way more trouble than it's worth but I am just thinking out loud.

Feel free to laugh me off Mud, but as I was sitting as a stop the other day I put my hand back where the rear heater was and it was a nice warm, quiet heat. I often camp in my rig and was thinking how nice it would be to have a source or internal heat that doesn't involve a diesel heater. I could disconnect the rear heater from the main coolant system and then get a propane water heater of some type and fab some quick connect hoses under the rig to connect to the heater. I could run the fan off a battery pack or something with a hard-wired switch.

This might be way more trouble than it's worth but I am just thinking out loud.

I've deleted my rear heater and was actually looking at putting a propex unit in it's place. It would fit nicely in the space but would probably have to drill out the floor to run the exhaust. Don't think the propex exhaust cn be safely ducted thru the existing hole for the water lines.

Webasto has some water fed/heat exchanger units but are designed for external mounting.

I also deleted my rear a/c and an Espar or Webasto diesel or gas heater will fit perfectly in it place and can run the intake and exhaust out the existing hole for the refrigerant lines. Also decided to retain the LX ceiling ducts to split the heater hose into it.

Also, the nice thing about the Espar gas heater is being able to tap into the existing tank, or even better, install a 20 gal auxiliary tank and feed from that. Over 400 hours of heat available from the aux tank and not having to carry extra diesel or fill a small tank internally mounted.

s*** like this is way more interesting on reddit.
I myself like 16% O2 in any condition.

I've deleted my rear heater and was actually looking at putting a propex unit in it's place. It would fit nicely in the space but would probably have to drill out the floor to run the exhaust. Don't think the propex exhaust cn be safely ducted thru the existing hole for the water lines.

Webasto has some water fed/heat exchanger units but are designed for external mounting.

I also deleted my rear a/c and an Espar or Webasto diesel or gas heater will fit perfectly in it place and can run the intake and exhaust out the existing hole for the refrigerant lines. Also decided to retain the LX ceiling ducts to split the heater hose into it.
So you are actively planning on putting a heater in the rear AC area? That's a pretty cool idea, especially if you tie into the existing heater ducts! That would be sweet!
I am trying to keep everything as factory/reversible as possible which is why I was thinking of using the existing radiator built into the cabin of the LX. If I could pump hot water through there via a propane water heater then it would work pretty well. External mounting doesn't really matter to me. I would probably just sit the heater on a stand, hook up the hoses to it and then fire it up.

So you are actively planning on putting a heater in the rear AC area? That's a pretty cool idea, especially if you tie into the existing heater ducts! That would be sweet!
I am trying to keep everything as factory/reversible as possible which is why I was thinking of using the existing radiator built into the cabin of the LX. If I could pump hot water through there via a propane water heater then it would work pretty well. External mounting doesn't really matter to me. I would probably just sit the heater on a stand, hook up the hoses to it and then fire it up.

This is the plan. I have the entire interior removed to address the mess left behind by the previous family. I have already removed the rear heater and the rear a/c assemblies. The front bypass hoses arrived yesterday.

I was debating removing these amenities incase I decide to sell the LX. Very few desire a vehicle as spartan as I do. But I figured a well built off-grid capable 4x4 has some interest and I still have the 2 rear rows of seats and all the heat/ac parts.

Here's a thread of "night heating". Some have done just that -- removed rear heater and put in a 2 KW air heater instead.
(Diesel or petrol - doesn't matter)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom