Replacing non-lock axle with locking axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

I'm thinking about getting an FZJ80 without locking diffs, and replacing the axles. Anyone done that? Is the wiring harness in the ones without lockers the same as the ones with? All I need to do is add the switch? Or do I have to run wires as well.

Some people might say its not worth it, but I'm thinking it might be: I have a really cream 40th anniv. 1997 for $12k that I can get (although high miles, 140k, it is in really nice shape). I can get a pair of locking axles (front and rear) for $2k, and I can install myself, so $14k don't seem so bad for the lot. And I might be able to sell the old axles as well...

Any thoughts? Any knowledge about the differences in wiring harnesses, and anything else I'm not thinking of (T-case, ABS, etc)?

Thanks!
Kenton

Kenton,
C-Dan converted his rig, He would probably have all the particulars (including part#'s I'm sure)
:D

You might be able to recover some of that 2k by selling your axles, but why not just add ARBs? $600 a pop each, $100 for new bearing kits each, an Air Compressor $150-500, and some $ for having the ARBs setup.

[quote author=kenton link=board=2;threadid=6970;start=msg57476#msg57476 date=1067631516]
Hey,

I'm thinking about getting an FZJ80 without locking diffs, and replacing the axles. Anyone done that? Is the wiring harness in the ones without lockers the same as the ones with? All I need to do is add the switch? Or do I have to run wires as well.
[/quote]

Not all the harnesses are there. You need a part in the front and a rear harness as well. You also need the diff lock ecu. That is if you want to make it factory. You could wire them just with all new stuff and some relays.

Also, 93/94 harnesses are not that same as 95/97 and the 95/97 is superior ::)

[quote author=kenton link=board=2;threadid=6970;start=msg57476#msg57476 date=1067631516]

Some people might say its not worth it, but I'm thinking it might be: I have a really cream 40th anniv. 1997 for $12k that I can get (although high miles, 140k, it is in really nice shape). I can get a pair of locking axles (front and rear) for $2k, and I can install myself, so $14k don't seem so bad for the lot. And I might be able to sell the old axles as well...

Any thoughts? Any knowledge about the differences in wiring harnesses, and anything else I'm not thinking of (T-case, ABS, etc)?

Thanks!
Kenton
[/quote]

Also, what condition is your newfound axles in. You might have to do an axle service on them as well. Also, what shape is the bearings/third members in? Are you ever going to re-gear, if so you might be better off doing ARB's and gears at the same time.

It can be done, and swapping all the axles is the easiest, but there are some things that can come and bite you. If you are buying axles from a junk yard, then the brakes etc etc is going to need some work, depending on how long it sat.

Hmm. You've all given me food for thought. Maybe I should be patient and wait for one with locking diffs. The problem in my area (Chicago) is all FZJ80's have rust. :-\

Beowulf, thanks for the pointers. I did do a search on this topic before posting, but couldn't think of the right keywords I guess (couldn't think of the word "swap" for the life of me). Maybe the magic keyword to remember is "cruiserdan". :)

Gineric, regarding ARB: ARB airlockers are sweet. If they are installed correctly (seals, lines and compressor), they do great. However, most people's don't seem to be, because I've seen a few fail on the trail. Either suddently, or their compressor keeps cycling, which would drive me bananas. No, I'll stick with electric. Plus, if you do the math on that, I don't think (installed properly=$$) ARBs are much cheaper. But then, you do get onboard air...

Good points by Christo and landtoy: first-time maintainence costs on the replacements will cost, and there's always the fear of bent tubes, other damage from a junkyard.

James Chow on the landcruisin thread mentions hi-pinion electric locking 8" diffs from Inchworm. Anyone installed these?

<Sigh> Okay, if this guy doesn't take my $12k offer, I'll keep looking.

Anyone else in the rust belt here? ... wait, nevermind, let me do a search on rust, then post the question in a new thread if I don't see anything. I also have a question about intentionally locking center diff and removing front driveshaft=2WD... another thread.

thanks,
Kenton

I don't think I'd use "cruiserdan" for the search. You'd end up wading thru a big pile of BS to find what you are looking for :rolleyes:

I did an Advanced Search with the keyword of "harness" and user=cruiserdan.

Searching is a little easier for those of us that have been around a while and have read all the drivel. We can remember little things about certain posts that will limit the returned hits.

Just don't search for "part number" + Cruiserdan. :D

-B-

[quote author=kenton

Gineric, regarding ARB: ARB airlockers are sweet. If they are installed correctly (seals, lines and compressor), they do great. However, most people's don't seem to be, because I've seen a few fail on the trail. Either suddently, or their compressor keeps cycling, which would drive me bananas. No, I'll stick with electric. Plus, if you do the math on that, I don't think (installed properly=$$) ARBs are much cheaper. But then, you do get onboard air...

thanks,
Kenton

Must be running with some inept do it yourselfers, have poor product support/instal people at the shops, poor quality control standards, or some very unlucky people.

Most peoples? :rolleyes:

Have a hard time buying this..but ya know, anything is possible... :rolleyes:

Set up over seventy in Dana and Toyota axles, doing another one on Saturday, in the front, to compliment the rear in a 83-40 ,and no big on the trail failures, leaving anyones compressor running all the time, or any other silly situations.

One more thing...

While an ARB compressor could be used to air up tires, I do not think that it qualifies for on board air...it is far from continuous duty, and would not be something that if I was wheeling, and seriously concerned about having air, that I would count on week in and week out. I would find one of the more suitable heavy duty compressors.

Good luck!

-Steve

Howdy Steve, thanks for the feedback, and congrats on your sterling ARB install history. You've definitely got it to a science.

My statement "most people" was an exaggeration. However, yes, I do run with inept DIYers (aren't we all at first?), heavy on the stupid pedal, rip air lines, etc. What can I say, some things can be installed and used even by inept people, some things... well... maybe diffs weren't meant to be air-tight! (When you see diff oil coming back out the air line, gives you a sick feeling after dropping over a grand on it...) In an imperfect world, ya gotta account for us slackers too! ;)

Regarding the OBA: I should've said "assuming the install of a compressor burly enough to do more than squirt 5 psi into my diffs." Which of course costs more and goes toward my comment on lack of savings with ARB. :)

Regards,
Kenton

[quote author=Poser link=board=2;threadid=6970;start=msg57704#msg57704 date=1067662433]
Must be running with some inept do it yourselfers, have poor product support/instal people at the shops, poor quality control standards, or some very unlucky people.

Most peoples? :rolleyes:

Have a hard time buying this..but ya know, anything is possible... :rolleyes:

Set up over seventy in Dana and Toyota axles, doing another one on Saturday, in the front, to compliment the rear in a 83-40 ,and no big on the trail failures, leaving anyones compressor running all the time, or any other silly situations.

One more thing...

While an ARB compressor could be used to air up tires, I do not think that it qualifies for on board air...it is far from continuous duty, and would not be something that if I was wheeling, and seriously concerned about having air, that I would count on week in and week out. I would find one of the more suitable heavy duty compressors.

Good luck!

-Steve

[/quote]

Gonna drop an aussie locker in the rear of mine and an ARB up front.

2 cents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom