Replacing front main seal, oil pump gasket, and whatever else my 80 is pissing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NY2NC

Threads
With the help of roadstr6, kiichiro, and a lot of other Charlotte locals, I've managed to keep all the work done to my 80 in my driveway or someone else's, which is awesome. I've learned so much in the process.

Now, I want to start thinking about finally fixing the usual leaks - front main seal and oil pump seal, to start. I watched a YouTube vid done by Texasknowhow. When it comes to working on the engine, I get a little uncertain of myself. Just not sure if I can handle this job by myself. So, what do shops normally charge for this job? Thinking about taking it to H&H.

Last edited:
No shop. Ask a Charlotte member for assistance. Have them overwatch you doing it, so if you run into a problem they can lend a hand.

Shop rates vary...$85-150/hr, I tell myself I'm saving half that knowing I'm not as efficient nor have the equipment to make the job easier. However, I found great satisfaction doing it (usually properly) myself, getting to know my rig intimately, something very valuable for those who take them into far away places with hopes it gets them back safely.

Thanks guys for helping me lean towards doing it myself.

If you need another option Railside Auto has work on my 80 a few times. They know cruisers and are pretty good in my experience. Sometimes is not the easiness of the project, but the time that kills it for me.

Thanks guys for helping me lean towards doing it myself.
You can definitely do this one yourself. I would recommend you look into what tools you'll need though. The biggest (most expensive) tool you're going to need is the torque wrench to install the crank bolt. The crank bolt on the 1FZ is tightened to 304 lb/ft of torque, you'll need a big ass torque wrench for that bad boy. I'm sure some of the guys will be able lend a few tools or bring them when they help out. An @OTRAMM crank pulley tool will help remove and retighten the crank pulley bolt.

The rest is pretty straight forward.

Edit: Here is the crank holder tool that Ryan makes: 1FZ-FE Crank Holding Tool - https://www.otramm.com/1fz-fe-crank-holding-tool.html

If you need another option Railside Auto has work on my 80 a few times. They know cruisers and are pretty good in my experience. Sometimes is not the easiness of the project, but the time that kills it for me.
I've actually been using Railside for my non-working AC issue. Walker (I think that's his name) is great guy. Yeah, I'm with you on the lack of time.

No shop. Ask a Charlotte member for assistance. Have them overwatch you doing it, so if you run into a problem they can lend a hand.
Yup, I held a HAMOM for the knuckle rebuild. And then worked with Dave (roadstr6) on installing my new suspension. I guess it's the pride in me. I hate asking for help. And I also don't want to be a pest by constantly asking for help.

Yup, I held a HAMOM for the knuckle rebuild. And then worked with Dave (roadstr6) on installing my new suspension. I guess it's the pride in me. I hate asking for help. And I also don't want to be a pest by constantly asking for help.
Ask for help. I'm over @fourtrax and @4LowandSlow house every weekend either doing something on thier Cruiser, my Cruiser, or both. . .

But maybe I'm a pest 😂

I'm always tinkering on my HZJ77, a 1979 Fiat spider, or one of 4 motorcycles in my garage (and when I get the space, I'm gonna do a full restoration on my '74 FJ40.)
If you need any help, I'd be glad to lend a hand! It'd just be another day shooting the s*** and fixing things ^_^

I'm always tinkering on my HZJ77, a 1979 Fiat spider, or one of 4 motorcycles in my garage (and when I get the space, I'm gonna do a full restoration on my '74 FJ40.)
If you need any help, I'd be glad to lend a hand! It'd just be another day shooting the s*** and fixing things ^_^
That would be great! Just like the knuckle rebuild, I can prep and do all the preliminary stuff... Remove the fan, fan shroud, etc. Then all that would be left is the actual job itself... Crank bolt removal and oil cover.

OTRAMM gave away a couple of his crank holding tools as raffle prizes at the last CRR. See if you can track one down and borrow it.

You can definitely do this one yourself. I would recommend you look into what tools you'll need though. The biggest (most expensive) tool you're going to need is the torque wrench to install the crank bolt. The crank bolt on the 1FZ is tightened to 304 lb/ft of torque, you'll need a big ass torque wrench for that bad boy. I'm sure some of the guys will be able lend a few tools or bring them when they help out. An @OTRAMM crank pulley tool will help remove and retighten the crank pulley bolt.

The rest is pretty straight forward.

Edit: Here is the crank holder tool that Ryan makes: 1FZ-FE Crank Holding Tool - https://www.otramm.com/1fz-fe-crank-holding-tool.html
Thanks! I'm gaining confidence in doing this myself. One experienced person to watch me would seal the deal. I may just order this tool.

OTRAMM gave away a couple of his crank holding tools as raffle prizes at the last CRR. See if you can track one down and borrow it.
Thanks! I'll just buy one. Always good to have for the next time.

Here goes nothing! My project this weekend. And of course, it'll be hot, in the 90s. :eek:

0517211733.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom