Replacing factory audio system, speaker cloth and interior trim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would post this for those interested in some possible new options/ideas for replacing the factory system and the interior trim. This was done to my 2002 100 series.

I replaced the entire factory JBL system except the door tweeters, which I left and powered off the head unit. This included removing the factory amp, installing new wiring, new head unit, JL Audio 6450 amp, 4 Focal Audio 165 speakers and one Kicker 10CVT654 sub. The Focal's and Kicker are all 6.5".

I had the amp from a previous vehicle, it is the bottom of the line amp from JL, but it was sitting around and perfect for this install being six channel. Bridging channels 5/6 provides 150 rms, which is exactly the rating of the Kicker, 300 watts peak and 150 rms, so it is a good match. This is a large amp, 10"x18". I did not want to mount it on the rear floor, back of the rear seats, or inside the rear walls due to access. There is no room under the rear seats either, but there is room under the passenger seat if you remove it. The problem then becomes getting easy access to the amp controls. I accomplished this by cutting out the side of the plastic housing under the seat and cutting a flap out of the carpet. This is just an off road rig, so the barely noticeable line in the carpet does not bother me. I glued velcro to the housing and the carpet backing and it buttons up just fine.

I have used Eclipse and Pioneer 2 din nav/dvd units in the past, but I decided to go with the new Clarion NX702 due to some neat features. So far so good on the head unit. I like the flick touch screen, resolution and picture quality is nice and the other features like Pandora, traffic warnings, etc also work well.

The Kicker is a 4 ohm, shallow mount model and it mounted in the factory box without trouble. I used a little silicone behind it and the door speakers to get a good seal and reduce any potential vibration or rattle. Since the factory enclosure is fairly thin plastic, I put a little adhesive on each screw so they would set tight.

I ran the power for amp through the grommet in the passenger firewall because the second battery, Slee relocation kit, is in that corner. It then runs under the carpet and to the amp under the seat, pretty easy and a fairly short run.

I purchased the speaker cloth from the local Hancock Fabric store. It is a synthetic open weave material that is tough and doesn't catch on shoes as easily as the factory material. It was on sale and I think the yard was less than $3.00. I removed the 4/5 screws holding the factory grilles to the doors while I had the panels pulled to install the door speakers. The cloth pulled right off due to age. I cleaned the grilles with alcohol and laid the fabric over the grilles trimming it with about a half to an inch of overhang. I then coated one end of the grille with spray adhesive and attached the fabric to that area, then I sprayed the remainder of the grille and worked the fabric out in that direction to get out all of the kinks. A little more trimming after it set up and that was it. Took about 10 minutes per grille.

My LC had the faux wood trim which was in pretty bad shape in some places. I used a hair dryer and a plastic putty knife to remove the old trim. Just heat it up good and it comes off fairly easy. I used alcohol and goo gone to remove any residual adhesive. The trim kit came from Dashboard Mall on eBay and it was less than $100. If I had it to do over again, I would try and find a little better quality kit, if one exists, but otherwise it is OK and a hell of a sight better looking than the faux wood.

Some pictures follow of how it turned out. And I will post some more later.
IMG_0712.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg

The grills looks sharp.

The pic makes it look like the amp is mostly under carpet. If so, the lack of air flow will kill the amp quickly. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, though.

Amp cooling and no factory nav

The grills looks sharp.

The pic makes it look like the amp is mostly under carpet. If so, the lack of air flow will kill the amp quickly. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, though.

Three sides and the top of the amp are completely exposed with greater than the recommended factory clearance around and above those, so no issues with the amp staying cool. There was no factory nav unit in this vehicle.
IMG_0717.jpg
IMG_0719.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg

Three sides and the top of the amp are completely exposed with greater than the recommended factory clearance around and above those, so no issues with the amp staying cool. There was no factory nav unit in this vehicle.

Good stuff, the pic confused me. You can really fit a huge amp under the passenger seat. The black covers look better than I thought they would against the tan interior.

^^ Agree. The black cloth looks much better than I would've thought.

Love the Focals - now just need to find a decent Class AB amp.

Why did you not replace the tweeters? Is there not an option to replace them with?

Why did you not replace the tweeters? Is there not an option to replace them with?

There are options for tweeter replacement. I installed Rockford fosgate in mine. Others have used other brands. You just need to make sure it isn't too large. I cant remember the size....

Tweeters

You can get the Focals in a component set and I'm sure you can get other speakers the same way. That way they come with a tweeter to replace the factory. Mine seemed to be working fine, so I just powered them off the new head unit. My hearing up high is so bad anyway:frown: that I didn't see a need to replace them. Here is one component set that I pulled up online at random:

http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_...ormance-Series-Component-Speakers-System.html

@LCAdvocate

How hard was it to run the new wires?

@LCAdvocate

How hard was it to run the new wires?

Not bad at all. With the amp under the seat, the power and other wiring was easy with a fish line. I just took the passenger seat out, which I had to do anyway to get the amp installed and ran everything then. Power cable went through the firewall grommet right where the second battery is located, so that was a nice short run. The speaker wire was not that bad either. There is plenty of room at the door sills, plenty of room in the doors, and tons of room in the rear panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom