Replacing clutch and... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen claims both ways, but I'm just wondering what popular opinion is:

Is it a real hassle replacing the rear main seal without dropping the oil pan and loosening the bearing cap?

The reason I ask is that the pan gasket is pretty new and it's the first time it has never leaked, and I guess maybe I'm a little lazy.
The tranny is dropped and the cover in the cab is out, so everything is exposed. Any thoughts?

It's alot easier if the pan is removed and most people would advise to change it while you're in there, but ask yourself this first, is it leaking?
I was in the same place you are not to long ago and mine wasn't leaking so I opted to leave it. Didn't want to fix something that wasn't broke plus the seal I got with the clutch kit wasn't a factory part.
I've read that you can use the flywheel as a press to install the seal most of the way then take the flywheel back off and tap the seal in the rest of the way with a deadblow hammer.
Good luck.

I replace the Rear Main every time i change a clutch and never loosen the bearing cap. It should take about 5 in to change the rear main once you have the flywheel out of the way.

Alright! 3 - 0 is a pretty good score for me. As soon as I'm done wrestling the old pilot bearing out, I'll try the RMS as it sits.

Thanks guys!:beer:

one thing you should also look at, is the front seal on the nose of the tranny.
if it craps out it, the input shaft will puke gear oil right on the clutch, and then you get to do everything agian....or so i have heard....

Alright! 3 - 0 is a pretty good score for me. As soon as I'm done wrestling the old pilot bearing out, I'll try the RMS as it sits.

Thanks guys!:beer:
Fill the cavity with grease, stick your clutch centering tool in the center of the bearing and give it a good whack or two. Bearing should pop right out.

I removed my pilot bearing using the bread method described in one of the threads. I tried the grease method first, but since my bearing wasn't sealed, the grease just pushed through the bearing. I then turned to the bread method and that worked great.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I just ended up grinding the head of a carriage bolt, hooking it behind the bearing and prying it out with a hammer claw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom