Replacement Seat Options and Mounting Ideas for 80-Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a good place to discuss what seats to use, how to mod them to fit, etc.

In for this as well.

PS. Did you park next to me at Wal-Mart last weekend?

I was attempting to dig out some lost change under the seat of my car today, when I noticed my Volvo S-80 (99-06 model year) has two levers on the back of the front seats which allow them to double over and lay flat. This got me thinking about this, they have a similar mounting setup, and every time I tour the JY, I come across bunches of these (interiors still in good shape). Interiors are dark grey and a beige which I am not exactly sure how well it would match or not. Downside is NO armrest. But, that's what google is for.

It seems like the Chevy Tahoe has a built in armrest, though every time I have seen the interiors, they are roached. So, if one were to remove the armrest, and find a way to remove the sleeve from the backrest/seat and stick it in another (say an S-80), and fab up a seat adapter, this would be in business. Armrest recovers for the Tahoe armrests are ~$30 for the pair. I also found something from Toro lawnmowers for a more "utilitarian" style.

I did a similar setup in my wife's XJ, adding seats from a Grand Cherokee Limited, and some cheap after market seat heaters. You have manual slide, but power tilt/lumbar. I guess since I have both of these seats, I will pull them and post pictures of the Land Cruiser base.

I pulled some out of a 3rd gen 4runner. pulled my sliders off my stock seats and made some tabs and welded them up. color matched cloth interior as well

I pulled some out of a 3rd gen 4runner
I spent about 50K miles in my GenIII 4Runner in one year, didn't bother me one bit. This still requires we find a solution for the armrest, and this almost certainly means cloth. I would also wonder about the frequency you could find these, since most 4Runner guys are like us, and they are gonna put 250K+ before being scrapped.

I created this post because it became a big discussion in another, slightly related thread and I figured it should have its own place. I know it is a repeat topic, but at least it isn't about tire/wheel size/fitment...:meh:

In for this as well.

PS. Did you park next to me at Wal-Mart last weekend?

Yep, that was me! Not stalking, just figured I wouldn't have to worry about door dings with as full as the lot was.
I'm still working on tracking down a place to get good painting done in our area. I'm pretty busy at work, so it is tough to get time for phone calls to the different shops.

Here is what the front seats look like folded flat. This isn't a huge deal, but is a nice feature and I am sure someone could find a great use for it...like a car sleeping platform for a child or dog, a great way to step up through your sunroof onto your roof (if you don't have a giant rack), or just a nice place to store all your gear for the night. The seats are decently comfortable, I commute 200 miles everyday in this, and its better than most seats.

20150319_160119.jpg

20150319_160112.jpg

20150319_160153.jpg

Huh, I was looking for some volvo seats for the 62. I didn't realize they fold flat. That would be super useful for sleeping in the back.

What would be extra sweet is to find a set of captains chairs to replace the middle row with. For those of us that have lots of kids this would allow you to put everybody in through the rear doors and allow the kids to file back to the 3rd row. Otherwise you have to have people climbing over seats and what not.

There was a thread a while back that a guy was talking about using Sequoia seats in his 80. I have a Sequoia with good seats that was totaled in an accident and I plan to try this as soon as it warms up. Best thing is they already have armrests! Downside is they aren't tan, but covers can fix that easy enough. I'll post up if it goes well. :D

EDIT: Here's that thread-
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/20...e-ever-put-them-in-a-fzj.836424/#post-9575215

Last edited:
Subscribed

I'm very interested in where this goes. I spent $$$ having my foam rebuilt and new leather for the driver's seat, with plans to do the passenger seat next, but I'm so disappointed with the comfort of the "new" driver's seat, I'm ready to try something else.

I picked up a pair of 2012 camero seats and fabbed brackets to bolt them into my 2nd gen 4Runner. Though super comfy and looked good in the old grey goat I'd only do it if I didn't have a viable seat to reupholster

I am running a ProCar Elite Lumbar.

10665177_4815150314587_353102048463941885_n.jpg

10616661_4815149314562_4852969834129815675_n.jpg

I went the cloth rather than vinyl. I like the vinyl better except for when it is hot. Plan to take my truck to Central America so went cloth. Very comfy seat. I am 5ft 11" and 175lbs. Only running drivers right now as these are near $500 a pop. Done one long trip with it so far. It is great, no complaints. I used the Procar universal base. I had a spare set of stock seats so cut the feet off of them. Bolted feet in the truck, set universal base on it, got it how I wanted and welded the feet from the stock seats to the base. Fit's like a glove. Gives more leg room than stock seat. Universal base has height adjustment built into it. I set it all the way to highest, I like that sitting position best. Gives great field of vision and is most comfortable to me, have not hit my head on roof yet but it is only 2-3" from the roof at highest setting.

Only things I might want to do now is a very good seat cover, Procar doesn't make any, and a very low profile suspension base.

Cheers

Please show the mounting brackets, not just the seats. The problem w/ 80s is the asymetrical mounts and trans tunnel cutting into the seat.
Showing how you guys did the brackets would be valuable

View attachment 1048306

Here is another option -- a bit pricy, but fits me really well. Had rear done to match.

Is that a squeeze ball for pumping up the lumbar? If so I haven't seen one of those since my 1985 Supra! IIRC Toyota stole the idea from Recaro for the knockoffs they put in the Supra and Celica GTS. They were great seats. I once drove 9+ hrs straight through without getting out of the car and was pain free at the end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom