Replacement seat belts for a 40.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1Fine40

Rust Buster
Threads
What have you used? What ones do you like? Refurbishing old ones seems to be pretty expensive and time consuming so I am looking for good alternatives to old worn out belts..specifically 9/77 FJ 40 3 point style.
CCOT, SOR appear to have options, are there others that have been used with acceptable results?

Thanks for your collective wisdome on the subject!!

Cheers!

I've had the CCOT ones and they worked well and got the job done.

Have heard mentioned that they tend to tighten up on you as you bounce down the road...what's been your experience??

Cheers!

I tried the CCOT aftermarket three point setup and it does tend to snap tight on bumps more than expected resulting in often getting pinned back into the seat... thank goodness that 40's ride so smoothly otherwise this this would be really uncomfortable and irritating :-(

I bought the webbing from Seat Belt plant ($90.00) and had my local upholstery shop install the webbing ($60.00).

Another vote for the hummers... nice and no nonsense look.

I bought from Securon. I liked that I could adjust the angle of the retractor and still have it lock in the event of a roll over. The retractor is angle as well as inertia sensitive and there are 2 dials on the retractor which are used to set the angle at which the retractor freely spools out which is a great feature if you want to mount the retractor at an odd angle. Any combination of cable stalk/ loop end etc as well as various lengths are available. In my case I bought 4 point belts for the kids in the rear but measure your stock units and compare (all specs available on the following link) also all new hardware including angle brackets was included. ]I liked how professional the company seemed in terms of their focus on safety and when I had an issue they took care of it right away at their expense. Worth the shipping costs!

514-30.jpg

Seat Belt & Seat Belts Layouts

Pete

I got the belts recommended by @DSRTRDR and have been hella happy with them.

Do a thread search with "belts " and her username or mine and you'll find them.

I did Seatbelt Planet, spendy but very happy with results. I wanted to keep the OEM connectors so I went this way......folks do seem to like the Hummer belts though. Mine is a '78 FWIW

Thanks very much to all who have put forth solutions!! Very much appreciate the ideas, now I just have to choose one and move ahead...
Cruise Moab is coming :)!!

Cheers!

yes, I would buy them again - I put them into the 40 in the summer of 2005, and as of today, there's no fraying, and the furling mechanism still works very well

seatbeltplus back then had the widest choice of colors, and I like the airplane style buckles they offer

I went to the local pick and pull. Toyota used the dark gray color forever. I think my 07 Tacoma has the same color. You pull the seat belts and retractor out of the junked car. Then you will have to break the retractor open to get the belt out because they started making them tamper proof at some point. In my 79', I was able to take apart the old retractor to remove the belt. Then just rewind the new belt with then original buckles. You will be left with the original retractors, buckles and a belt with a Toyota part number on it. No more frays, good retraction and if I did tell you, you would have no idea they were out of a Camry. I think I spent $35.

Realized that there are lots of great suggestions here, but few pix of the installed choices...how about it folks, care to post up pix of your installs?? Original Cruiser buckles are 8" long, but most of these solutions are either 6" or 12"...so how do they work on Cruiser seats??

Thank you kindly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom