Replacement Battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys, are there any suggestions for replacement batteries on my LX?
I keep hearing hype about these Optima batteries but when I read some of the online reviews it becomes discouraging to purchase one.
I am looking for a battery to do its traditional job of starting and operating the car. Nothing additional other than potentially running an auxiliary LED or two.

Should I just go with a Lexus replacement and call it a day or would a Die Hard Platinum be better?
Thanks

For what it’s worth my battery went and I bought the toyota replacement because they offer a 7 year replacement warranty- my electrical demands aren’t crazy, just a winch and a fridge. First battery got 65k miles in less then 7 years, so I figure that warranty will be well used.

I keep hearing hype about these Optima batteries but when I read some of the online reviews it becomes discouraging to purchase one.
I put in an Optima Yellow top (AGM). I wouldn't do it again. Two big issues: 1)it was really expensive, and 2)the charge profile is different, so the alternator never gets it all the way charged.
Of the two, the charge profile is the biggest issue. I had to put in an electrical part (diode in the Alt-S circurt) to trick the alternator to a higher charge voltage, and every six weeks (maybe not even often enough) I have to hook it to an AGM battery tender (even more $). With these mods it works fine, hasn't left me stranded, and might last for 3-5 years. But certainly not worth the hassle

I suggest a normal SLA from a reputed manufacturer.

I put in an Optima Yellow top (AGM). I wouldn't do it again. Two big issues: 1)it was really expensive, and 2)the charge profile is different, so the alternator never gets it all the way charged.
Of the two, the charge profile is the biggest issue. I had to put in an electrical part (diode in the Alt-S circurt) to trick the alternator to a higher charge voltage, and every six weeks (maybe not even often enough) I have to hook it to an AGM battery tender (even more $). With these mods it works fine, hasn't left me stranded, and might last for 3-5 years. But certainly not worth the hassle

I suggest a normal SLA from a reputed manufacturer.

Thanks man. That’s what (unfortunately) I was expecting to hear.

This is what I installed Deka. Seems like a pretty decent upgrade from stock at a reasonable price.

Wow, interesting. Does it fit well under the hood, and are the polarity placements correct? As you say, it seems like a great upgrade for that price.

If you want a stock replacement, I've had good luck with the Interstate 27F battery. We have a local Interstate dealer that stocks them.

Most of the "upgrades" come with some sort of tradeoff.

This is what I installed Deka. Seems like a pretty decent upgrade from stock at a reasonable price.

Agreed and I likewise went this route. It is an upgraded larger capacity group 31 that needs to mods to fit.

There are some great flooded lead acid batts out there with some of the same qualities we seek from AGM, but importantly maintain the charge profile that is compatible with the stock alternator.

- Spill proof
- Heavy duty full frame construction (claimed 20x stronger vibration resistance)
- Heavy duty plates for 2x better extended battery life (and therefore better deep discharge capacity while maintaining good battery life)
- Deep plate envelop pockets to increase life and reduce likelihood of shorts
- High current ratings (low internal resistance that likely also improving charge rate)
- ~30% more usable capacity

Deka has a whole lineup of these sealed flooded lead acid batts. They may have a stock size equivalent drop in.

If the OP doesn't have any special needs, I'd say any standard battery will do the job.

I currently use four AGM 12 volt batteries in my boat, for marine use they are great: no maintenance, vibration proof, and handle discharge really well. But I’ve been disappointed with Optimas in my trucks; they haven’t lasted any longer or performed better than standard flooded batteries, and they cost more. I recently replaced my battery on the LC at the dealer, with coupon and extended warranty as mentioned above.

Agreed and I likewise went this route. It is an upgraded larger capacity group 31 that needs to mods to fit.

There are some great flooded lead acid batts out there with some of the same qualities we seek from AGM, but importantly maintain the charge profile that is compatible with the stock alternator.

- Spill proof
- Heavy duty full frame construction (claimed 20x stronger vibration resistance)
- Heavy duty plates for 2x better extended battery life (and therefore better deep discharge capacity while maintaining good battery life)
- Deep plate envelop pockets to increase life and reduce likelihood of shorts
- High current ratings (low internal resistance that likely also improving charge rate)
- ~30% more usable capacity

Deka has a whole lineup of these sealed flooded lead acid batts. They may have a stock size equivalent drop in.

If the OP doesn't have any special needs, I'd say any standard battery will do the job.
Thank you all. You guys are a fantastic resource and I really appreciate it. Seems like I will be taking this route!
-Mike

Your use case sounds like a replacement flooded battery from Lexus/Toyota would work great, fit perfectly, and be a no-drama install and use. Excellent quality and good warranty and reasonable price. Don't overthink this one and simply get a Lexus/Toyota 27F drop-in. :)

Your use case sounds like a replacement flooded battery from Lexus/Toyota would work great, fit perfectly, and be a no-drama install and use. Excellent quality and good warranty and reasonable price. Don't overthink this one and simply get a Lexus/Toyota 27F drop-in. :)
That’s what I did too much electrical stuff on this vehicle to play around with trying to figure out what the best battery is😎

Why do you think a 31 would be detrimental to a regular replacement? What are the disadvantages other than some very mild mods to make it fit? It seems like, here in the NE where I live there would be more advantages than disadvantages to a 31. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Why do you think a 31 would be detrimental to a regular replacement? What are the disadvantages other than some very mild mods to make it fit? It seems like, here in the NE where I live there would be more advantages than disadvantages to a 31. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

The larger battery is not detrimental, I just don't think it's needed to do the "traditional job of starting and operating the car". The OEM battery is more than up to that task for many years. The "very mild mods" involve a new tray and fastening system as well as terminal extensions. The + cable is not long enough to reach across the battery to the center of a group 31, since none of them come in the same terminal configuration as a 27F. If you install a 31, you're adding expense and making a five minute replacement (27F) into an evening's project (group 31) plus ordering the parts needed. If that's worth it to you, go for it! Here's the specs on the OEM battery for reference.

The larger battery is not detrimental, I just don't think it's needed to do the "traditional job of starting and operating the car". The OEM battery is more than up to that task for many years. The "very mild mods" involve a new tray and fastening system as well as terminal extensions. The + cable is not long enough to reach across the battery to the center of a group 31, since none of them come in the same terminal configuration as a 27F. If you install a 31, you're adding expense and making a five minute replacement (27F) into an evening's project (group 31) plus ordering the parts needed. If that's worth it to you, go for it! Here's the specs on the OEM battery for reference.

Interesting, thanks for your thoughts on this. I do see what you are saying but then I cannot brag to the ladies that I have a “Group 31 under the hood,” and then isn’t that worth doing as an evening project? 🍻

If you’re an average user, Toyota/Lexus batteries are just fine. There is some unknown CarQuest battery in my LX right now that has been fine for 4 years and temps from -40 to 100F

I’d only get aroused if you find someone in the US who can source OEM Panasonic batteries.

I get my auto batteries from Costco. IMHO they offer the best warranty and price. The “brand” they sell is Interstate. I use the term “brand” loosely because only three companies in the US manufacture all the car batteries sold in the US.

Is there still absolutely no way to get the factory Panasonic battery?

A smaller group 24 could probably start our trucks just fine even in the cold, but because they were designed to be the next level in dependability from toyota they went up to the 27, which is a pretty big battery for a gas engine.

For my needs (little additional electrical load and no need for "house" uses) I don't see the point in modifying the vehicle from the great factory retention system when the stock one does such a good job. Then the debate loops back around to what OP asked.. which is the best 27.

One other thing to consider.. warranty and availability. Buying a battery from interstate/toyota dealer if the nearest one is 2 hours away isn't a very good use of warranty. Some of autozone's top tier "duralast gold" batteries are quite good, with a great warranty, and available in many, many small towns all over the country. For some people that might be the best option, even if I am not a fan of autozone overall. I guess that kindof undercuts the desire for a Panasonic though.

I'm watching this as my current toyota battery is starting to get up there in years.

What group size is that? or are they available in more than one?

No way to get the vaunted Panny as a replacement. They are only manufactured in Japan and the overhead of shipping these heavy batts across the ocean don't pencil out.

I agree with others that if the use case is standard commuter use, there's no point to a upgraded battery. I use a good ol Costco batt in my Pcar.

The LX sees lots of camping and reserve use when parked so that was a reason to upgrade. The stock 27 held its own and was pretty solid but I did run it down low a few times. Hence the upgrade for increased capacity and deep cycling robustness.

I would caution that the battery system is more complex than meets the eye and it's easy to inadvertently decrease the reliability of the overall system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom