Replaced my antenna with a 14" black rubber antenna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It wouldn't go up and down. It was all bent to hell, and I couldn't get a radio signal if I was leaning on the antenna.

So I bought a black rubber antenna on ebay for ~$10 to the door.

I removed the old mast/motor assembly. Somehow, my original antenna wire was almost completely sheared just below the assembly (prolly from somebody trying to fix these raging pieces of crap in the first place).

Next I used the old antenna wire as a fish tape. I secured my new antenna wire to the old one with electrical tape, and with the glove box removed, easily pulled my new wire. I hooked it up to my Lexus head, and buttoned the interior back up.

To properly mount the antenna, I had to grind the antenna hole in my fender a little larger towards the DS, due to interference with my Safari snorkel. Once this was complete, it was a slam dunk.

For the first time since I've owned this 80, I get good radio reception, and it looks great to me.

Now I've got a leftover antenna switch, and an open space for a switch on my dash...:hmm:

pics? Im wondering how well the antenna switch will work as a winch control.

The antenna switch works great as an in-cab winch control. I've had that setup in my 80 for sometime. Mine is mounted on the left hand side of the steering wheel for the winch controls.

SNIP

Next I used the old antenna wire as a fish tape. I secured my new antenna wire to the old one with electrical tape, and with the glove box removed, easily pulled my new wire.

I can't be without my radio. This was one of the first things I fixed when we bought our truck.

Yeah, no matter how much you're cussing at the antenna, be absolutely sure that you somehow use the old coax/wire as a fish tape. If you pull the old out without using it to run a corresponding way to get the new pulled back in, you'll be sorry.

been there, done that.... the PO cut the antenna wire at the glove box and pulled the antenna completely
it was difficult to push a new wire through.

Old thread I know, but I wanted to add a tip...

You can run your new antenna wire through the firewall grommet available to the right of the current antenna hole. I could not get my wire fished through the original hole with the grommet that was there.

I had a rubber one too and car wash broke it too, so now I'm trying this one from Amazon for 7 bucks. Still a bit if static but not bad.

20160721_180425_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom