Repair sleeve on harmonic balancer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rick Carroll

RCmach1
Threads
I've got a 75 FJ40. My balancer had multiple grooves so I installed the sleeve. The original dimension of the shaft is 1.772. After installation its 1.792. Does anyone know if a new seal will work? It seems way oversize to me. Thanks

From the Timken web site on their Redi-Sleeves:

"Timken’s line of Redi-Sleeves feature a strong, durable stainless-steel construction that helps create a corrosion-free sealing surface that may surpass original shaft specifications

Redi-Sleeves have an ultra-thin construction of 0.25mm (0.1″) that allows the original seal size to be used with minimal additional lip loading"

"Timken’s line of Redi-Sleeves feature a strong, durable stainless-steel construction that helps create a corrosion-free sealing surface that may surpass original shaft specifications

Redi-Sleeves have an ultra-thin construction of 0.25mm (0.1″) that allows the original seal size to be used with minimal additional lip loading"

I understand but wanted some "real world" opinions. Does the seal go on without a problem? Does the seal last with the added pressure on a larger shaft? I'm a machinist but not a mechanic so I don't really know how much a new seal will flex.

Make sure you properly lubricate the seal and surface prior to start up. In other words, don't install dry.

I used a synthetic grease. Make sure you pack some grease into the back of the seal. That’ll keep the seal spring from jumping off when you’re installing the balancer. It’s very easy for that little guy to jump out of the seal. When it does, you’ll make a new groove.

I use grease so I can overdo it and it won't dribble off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom