Reno Land Cruisers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was cruis'n south on Virginia this afternoon and spotted a Landcruiser 75 with a factory looking camper...I have never seen it or another like it...pretty cool.

Yeah, they were talking about it over on www.expeditionportal.com in the landcruiser section. I saw it last week (Friday the 13th) heading west on 80 at Lockwood. Pretty cool.

Jack

I might be throwing a Spring Over Axel party at my house in the next month or so...There will be beer and pizza (Round Table:grinpimp: ) if anyone is interested ;)
Im thinking I might really need help with a knuckle rebuild more than anything. Reaading the FSM, scares me.

Chicago

I might be throwing a Spring Over Axel party at my house in the next month or so...There will be beer and pizza (Round Table:grinpimp: ) if anyone is interested ;)
Im thinking I might really need help with a knuckle rebuild more than anything. Reaading the FSM, scares me.

Chicago

I will traveling, working on my house and helping a friend on his project, but if I'm free I can give you a hand. I flew blind on my first Mini truck axle, and surprise-surprise it worked. Just let me know.

Jack

Thanks Jack,
Bring the wife too, she can hang with my woman, and they can sit and get snockered on wine together.

Chicago

Thanks Jack,
Bring the wife too, she can hang with my woman, and they can sit and get snockered on wine together.

Chicago

Snockered hell...she packs a mean wheel bearing. She even has her own coveralls.

I will be in Virginia from 10/29-11/03, then in vegas in the middle of November, just for a couple of days. Let me know when you want to get the party started.

Jack

Snockered hell...she packs a mean wheel bearing. She even has her own coveralls.

I will be in Virginia from 10/29-11/03, then in vegas in the middle of November, just for a couple of days. Let me know when you want to get the party started.

Jack

GREAT, then maybe she can get my woman out in the garage helping on the rig:D ;p ...Yeah right! She will do a LOT of things for me, but helping with anytihng other than bleeding the brakes...forget it!
Ill post up here and or discuss at the meeting.

Thanks,

Keith

Jack
Depending on which weekend I could help.

My wife would be more than happy to drink wine. ;)

Cool, thanks Rusty.
Another good thing is, you wouldnt have to drive too far to get home!
Ive got all my parts except hy steer, stock shackles and front towers. Everything else is ready to go.
Still gotta do the r and p gears, and of course no shocks, brake lines or tires yet.
I got all my hardware from Cruiser Outfitters...What an awesome guy he is to deal with.
Rusty,
What tools do you need to do the re build? Brass drifts, bearing puller...What else? Where did you pick up that fish scale from?

Chicago

What tools do you need to do the re build? Brass drifts, bearing puller...What else? Where did you pick up that fish scale from?

Chicago

Kieth,

The one thing about Toyota's is they were meant to be serviced with the most basic tools in the most remote places. I've done all of mine with basic hand tools, a couple of punches and lots of grease. You don't need a bearing puller. Just pick up a brass punch for knocking out the races and putting them back in. A seal puller for the big seal on the hubs and the socket for the spindle nuts. I used to cary all of the tools I needed to fix anything on my 4runner in a small tool bag.

Jack

Cool, thanks Rusty.
Another good thing is, you wouldnt have to drive too far to get home!
Ive got all my parts except hy steer, stock shackles and front towers. Everything else is ready to go.
Still gotta do the r and p gears, and of course no shocks, brake lines or tires yet.
I got all my hardware from Cruiser Outfitters...What an awesome guy he is to deal with.
Rusty,

Chicago

Keith,
Depending on which weekend or weeknight you decide on I could help too. I have some tools that will help including brass drifts, seal puller, seal installer, etc. FYI: I am going to SnT...so you won't see me if you schedule it that time...

Kieth,

The one thing about Toyota's is they were meant to be serviced with the most basic tools in the most remote places. I've done all of mine with basic hand tools, a couple of punches and lots of grease. You don't need a bearing puller. Just pick up a brass punch for knocking out the races and putting them back in. A seal puller for the big seal on the hubs and the socket for the spindle nuts. I used to cary all of the tools I needed to fix anything on my 4runner in a small tool bag.

Jack

I use 1" drive sockets to re-seat bearings:grinpimp: , that's about the only use I have for them except the 2 1/8" one I use on the axel nut.

Last edited:
OK,
thanks, very cool! Looking at the FSM on birfield.com, it seemed there were a number of different "SST's" involved. Im waiting on ordering the rest of the parts I need due to x mas coming up.
I think my wife would be pretty pissed if on x mas morning, I take her out to the rig and show her that her present is my new hi steer kit...;p . In otherwords...I probably wont be getting started for a bit unless I get really un-ruly and do the SOA, and wait to buy the rest of the stuff, which could very well happen.
I should be getting a bonus this year...if that happens, ITS GO TIME!!!

Thanks,

Keith

OK,
thanks, very cool! Looking at the FSM on birfield.com, it seemed there were a number of different "SST's" involved. Im waiting on ordering the rest of the parts I need due to x mas coming up.
I think my wife would be pretty pissed if on x mas morning, I take her out to the rig and show her that her present is my new hi steer kit...;p . In otherwords...I probably wont be getting started for a bit unless I get really un-ruly and do the SOA, and wait to buy the rest of the stuff, which could very well happen.
I should be getting a bonus this year...if that happens, ITS GO TIME!!!

Thanks,

Keith
AFAIK if you keep track of the shims you can just put them back together the way you took them apart w/o issues.
But you should confirm that, after all I don't know the difference between in/lbs and ft/lbs. :D

AFAIK if you keep track of the shims you can just put them back together the way you took them apart w/o issues.
But you should confirm that, after all I don't know the difference between in/lbs and ft/lbs. :D

Yes, keep the shims the same, same. Everything else is super easy once you take it apart. You will see that it only goes back together the same way.

Jack

So, how do you set the pre load?
Taking apart and putting back together is "usually" not a problem, but putting back together RIGHT sometimes is. Im kind of like a gorilla...straigh forward tasks Im pretty good with, it the fine adjustments I have trouble with.

Rusty...
You never did tell me where you got your fish scale from....is it a secret?;p

Chicago

Taking apart and putting back together is "usually" not a problem, but putting back together RIGHT sometimes is. Im kind of like a gorilla...straigh forward tasks Im pretty good with, it the fine adjustments I have trouble with.

Rusty...

Chicago

I'll tell ya but then I'll have to kil you.

WalMart, I went to the one on the north end of town because I was picking up some stuff for my Mom up there. They should have the same thing at ours.

Rusty...

Chicago

Are you talking about the preload on the inner and outer bearings? If so, I have read all of the ways, talked to a bunch of people more knowledgeable than I and the best thing I got out of it was...do it and learn by "feel". I've gotten pretty good, but sometimes, I have to go back in and give one a snugging, not a big deal, just expect it.

Don't worry, one of the most common mistakes is putting the seal on the rear of the hub, before putting the inner bearing/race in. So you get to buy a new seal after you rip the brand new one out to put the race/bearing in.:doh: We just won't let you do that, hopefully.

Jack

OK,
Here's the latest...
I just ordered my hi steel, gotta hit pick and pull for some stock shackles and then Im gonna jack that motha up in the air and go to work. Ill get her torn down, get the perches set and do the C and T.
Im gonna wait on the gears, locker and tires and stuff. I have all of the WORK stuff I can do in the mean time...At least it will be SOA'd, then I can focus on the REALLY expensive s***.

Ill keep you posted. Thanks for your help!!!

BTW, can you do the knuckle re build OFF of the rig?

Keith

Just FYI, there were two FJ60's at the Carson City PNP last week. They were still in pretty good shape. Might be worth picking up some extra spring packs and shackles. I believe they had the 3rds in them. Someone had already gotten to the birfs and knuckles, but maybe pull those thirds, and get them geared when you can so that your rig isn't down for any length of time. Just a thought.

Jack

Hey Jack,
I was there last Friday for the first time...Its my new favorite place!!!:D
I saw they had the diffs there, and I was thinking how youre thinking, I just havent had time to go yet.
I was gonna pick up the diffs, get a front and rear R and P, and set up kit and give it a go, since Ive never done it before. If I could pull it off, id save my self around 600.00 in labor cost.

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom