Removing Monstaliner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone tried removing monstaliner from their 80 series? I did my whole 80 in monsterliner several years again and I'm going back and forth. I kind want to remove it and have it painted.
Look up @RN80 thread here. :)

I accidentally found out that one of those cup shaped wire wheels on an 11,000rpm grinder removes monstaliner rather well.

Aircraft remover will definitely strip it. On monstaliner Twitter page they were using a citrus paint stripper. I think the chemical was pretty safe to use. I would scuff it and respray in color of your choice.

I get that lining your truck was the cool thing to do once upon a time. However now that these trucks are considered classics can we please stop ruining them unless it’s a dedicated trail rig. I saw a thread on another forum were an owner took a really mint 100k mile white rig and rolled on bed liner because he wanted to be cool like the other 80 owners 🤦🏻‍♂️.

I get that lining your truck was the cool thing to do once upon a time. However now that these trucks are considered classics can we please stop ruining them unless it’s a dedicated trail rig. I saw a thread on another forum were an owner took a really mint 100k mile white rig and rolled on bed liner because he wanted to be cool like the other 80 owners 🤦🏻‍♂️.
Mine had become so pin striped from the narrow trails here it was a no brainier. I would have loved to glossy white repaint mine, but couldnt choke that cost seeing in month would be ruined again. But like you said trail rig vs whatever.

Mine is a dedicated trail rig.

Airplane stripper. I think I bought at Home Depot. Brush on and it scrapes off with a paint scraper. Nasty stuff but effective.

Removing it dry involves wire wheel and lots of time and thick gloves and safety glasses.

So, I have begun removing monstaliner from an 80. Here is what I have found so far.

Citrus strip in the half gallon jug is economical. My estimate is that it would take about four of these to complete a cruiser. Time will tell. It goes on easy enough, but it is often recommended that you let it sit for 12 to 18 hours. Unfortunately I found that if you let it sit during the daytime it will dry out and prove to be even more difficult to remove. However, if you apply it in the evening after the metal is cool to the touch the next morning it is usually ready to be removed. I found that it takes two or three applications to get everything off.

I tried the aircraft paint remover first. I Applied it to a large section, and wasn’t impressed. I went out two hours later and it had dried. I tried reapplying it and coming out in 30 minutes, but it didn’t loosen anything.

I also tried Klean strip. I used their spray and applied it liberally. I went out two hours later, it hadn’t yet dried, but only removed a thin layer. After reapplying several times it was able to do the job. It would probably prove as an expensive way to take this stuff off.

I managed to find some MEK, That stuff worked pretty good, but it still took two applications to complete the job. And of course that stuff is some nasty stuff. Even when used outside. I would probably stay away from it.

Citrus strip seems to be the best method so far. I will post some pictures later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom