Removed running boards. Not loving it. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Probably not civilian looking enough for your needs but MetalTech sells their own brand as well that are more "toned down" than the OPOR.

http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-475-metal-tech-4x4-100-series-land-cruiser-sliders.aspx

I lucked out a few weeks ago and was able to pick up some "seconds" at a discount with welds that didn't meet their high cosmetic standards but far exceeded mine. You might want to inquire with them and other places to see if they have discounted sliders that might meet your budget.

Glad i read this post, I was contemplating taking mine off but given that i NEVER offroad, There really isn't a need to!

Also I really don't want to have remorse once I'm done taking them off!

Quick question tho, is it difficult to remove and re-install the stock boards?

thx

Glad i read this post, I was contemplating taking mine off but given that i NEVER offroad, There really isn't a need to!

Also I really don't want to have remorse once I'm done taking them off!

Quick question tho, is it difficult to remove and re-install the stock boards?

thx
< 1 hour, each way, easy. Assuming you don't have any rust issues...

If you don't like it, put them back on! If you don't offroad, the OEM boards are just fine and make a very nice step.

With some AT tires, you can still avoid the mall-cruiser look while rocking the running boards.

IMG_0351.jpg

hey, fireball
Totally off this topic but i see that you are running 295/75/16 on your LC, those are slightly bigger than stock yeah? do you have a lift kit on or rig? or do those fit nicely?

thanks

Wait 60 days and allow the land cruiser infection to set in, then you will change your user ID as a result of embarrassment for looking for a running board mod, and quickly you will commence with a lift, bumpers and armor. You can accelerate this transition by finding a local forest road and letting the cruiser amaze you.

Looks better without the mini-van trim package, 295's and flaps would be a good start until you take the leap!

PS - if you put armor-all on cruiser tires the brakes don't work

ARB will have some steps arriving this month (Nov.) They have a few side rails in stock. Kurt has pictures of them in his 100 build.

Once you get over the "naked" look, you appreciate the lines of the truck - as the designers intended. Here in the S.E., we also get the fender "garnishes". I took my boards and garnishes off. I snapped this for a comparison. One looks like a truck, the other looks more like a cross-over wagon

Here's my 100 before putting the MetalTech sliders on; just looks like what a 'Cruiser is supposed to look like (to me anyway):

Nice lights/grill conversion (thats a mod somewhere down the road)
(just realized that you have an 06 meaning no mod required lol)

And Wow that comparison picture does tempt me, however i just bought it; I need my pocket book to balance out a bit or the wife will kill me!

Lifts and bigger tires are next!

If you're going to lift and add larger tires you're going to thank yourself for leaving the running boards off

For what it's worth - my 100 is stock in those pics, just tires (275/70/18) and adjusted the torsion bar .55"
The biggest visual gain was ditching the steps. If the plan was to not put the sliders on, I'd have hit that seam/lip with flat black - the shiny paint under the rockers does give it a bit of an unfinished look. Flat black would render it invisible.

For what it's worth - my 100 is stock in those pics, just tires (275/70/18) and adjusted the torsion bar .55"
The biggest visual gain was ditching the steps. If the plan was to not put the sliders on, I'd have hit that seam/lip with flat black - the shiny paint under the rockers does give it a bit of an unfinished look. Flat black would render it invisible.

What wheels are those, Manhattan? I really like them.

Looks like BFG AT K/O in 275/70/18 on the stock 03+ rims

Looks like BFG AT K/O in 275/70/18 on the stock 03+ rims

I thought they looked Toyota but didn't realize that they were LC wheels. That's gotta be the best looking stock wheel Toyota offered on the 100 series.

Probably not civilian looking enough for your needs but MetalTech sells their own brand as well that are more "toned down" than the OPOR.

http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-475-metal-tech-4x4-100-series-land-cruiser-sliders.aspx

I lucked out a few weeks ago and was able to pick up some "seconds" at a discount with welds that didn't meet their high cosmetic standards but far exceeded mine. You might want to inquire with them and other places to see if they have discounted sliders that might meet your budget.

They do look nice, but maybe a little bit too "Mad Max" for me

If you don't like it, put them back on! If you don't offroad, the OEM boards are just fine and make a very nice step.

With some AT tires, you can still avoid the mall-cruiser look while rocking the running boards.

Looks pretty good! However, my tires are new and it will be some time before i'll put big shoes on the cruiser.

Wait 60 days and allow the land cruiser infection to set in, then you will change your user ID as a result of embarrassment for looking for a running board mod, and quickly you will commence with a lift, bumpers and armor. You can accelerate this transition by finding a local forest road and letting the cruiser amaze you.

Looks better without the mini-van trim package, 295's and flaps would be a good start until you take the leap!

PS - if you put armor-all on cruiser tires the brakes don't work

LOL. All in a good time

That is fantastic idea! Did anybody do that? Any pictures?

I also went with the MetalTech sliders. I wanted something as close to the stock looking as possible - that still provided good protection. They blend pretty well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom