Remove front drive shaft, better mpg? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone had taken off the front drive shaft to get better mpg?

I take mine off, but I have hubs. Without unlocking hubs, no real change can be had.

With hubs on 4X2 ( from half of my part time kit) and the front d/s out I didn't notice a big change. but seat of the pants power was slightly better...3FE pushing 37s you cannot hope for much.

Good call, CFJ. Haskins you will have to do that for sure.

Waste of time.

Either go the entire way with a part-time kit or just keep the front drive shaft in.

-o-

I concur. I am putting in my spool this weekend.

Complete waste of time and effort from my testing.

Totally worth my time; power and mileage gains.

I just did the part-time conversion. I noticed a slight increase in power and fuel economy. I don't have any hard numbers on the mpg gains becaused I changed tires at roughly the same time, but I will say I'm getting more miles out of a tank of gas than I have seen since the truck was stock. I would guess I get an extra 30-50 miles per tank.

I've heard people say it handles worse in 2wd, but I can barely tell a difference.

aaron

I've heard people say it handles worse in 2wd, but I can barely tell a difference.

aaron

In this area, your particular suspension setup may negate the funky 2wd feeling. I feel no difference at all either but when I had all OME J springs/shocks I did feel the nose rise up on accel.

I will post my gains on Wednesday, expecting 18 mpg...:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom