Relation between gauges not working and starter solenoid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was away for 6 months and my girlfriend was using my HJ 60. One day, while at the dentist or something, it wouldn't start when she got back out.
She had a few guys try to get it going, but couldn't, so she had it towed to a house where it could be parked until I got back in the country.

I checked the battery, a little low, but not bad...so I charged it. I pulled the starter and looked at the copper contacts - they are fine.

I put the starter back on, got ready with a screw driver to touch the contacts on the solenoid, but I didn't need to....it just started.

While it was running, I noticed that the gauges did not work---none of them. This would happen previously if the ignition (key) was not fully in the forward position. I tried wiggling the key around, but to no avail. So, I had to try to see if the solenoid was the issue again. I shut it down. It did not re-start. Now it is back to clicking, but no crank. SO.....I had my girlfriend sit in the cruiser and try starting it while I touched the contacts of the solenoid. Fail.

The solenoid (old school three wires, two big, one small) had a loose small wire. I tightened it hoping that this was the issue. FAIL again.

What is the relation between the gauges not working and the starter not turning???????

Sherman Starter Relay.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom