Rejuvenate Window runs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I added relays to my power locks and now am doing the same for the windows. My rear driver window is so bad, it goes down about a quarter of the way, then binds up in one side of the window run and yanks the top corner of the run out of the frame and stops. I tried some silicone spray but that did nothing. It will go down all of the way if I clamp the run in the frame and force it by hand.

I guess the runs harden and shrink up over time, causing the window to bind up? Is there anything else I can try? Would it be worthwhile to take the run out and work it over? I'm at that slippery slope where the the overall state of my truck dictates that spending a few hundred bucks on new window runs may not be the wisest investment.

I believe the window runs fail by having the flocking wear off, and you end up with rubber riding directly on the glass. White grease and silicone are a stop-gap at best (as we all know). Maybe JC Whitney has something on a roll you can use to get you by?

I believe the window runs fail by having the flocking wear off, and you end up with rubber riding directly on the glass. White grease and silicone are a stop-gap at best (as we all know). Maybe JC Whitney has something on a roll you can use to get you by?
Some people seem to have had success by removing and scrubbing the snot out of them, so you may want to try that before spending on the runs themselves. One day when mine were particularly bad, I hit the channels with silicone dry lube as a temporary fix - less messy than grease, perhaps?

PS - I am not sure how I got here from the 80 forum, so woops. As such the above input may be more applicable to 80s...

Once you put grease on them you're screwed. The grease attracts dirt like a magnet and eventually binds up the whole works.

I yanked out the side of the run that was binding up and can see/feel where one side of it started to stiffen up about halfway down. Dielectric grease is what was handy, so I cleaned the rubber up as best I could, greased it, and now it can go down and up on its own power, although a little slowly.

I bet if you wanted to get real crafty, dipping the run in one of those solutions that softens up old rubber might help quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom